shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA- Xylitol (sugar substitute) KILLS dogs!!!

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pricescope-
I'm not on this site often but felt compelled to share a little story. There is a sugar substitute called Xylitol that is found in many sugar free candies, gum, toothpaste, mouthwash, and baking goods. It is safe for humans and is great for diabetics and the health conscious as it won't affect insulin levels. However, it is EXTREMELY TOXIC if consumed by dogs. They processes it differently and their bodies release a surge of insulin because it isn't recognized as fake sugar. It is absorbed into the bloodstream very quickly and a downward spiral can start in as quickly as 15-30 minutes. It doesn't take much either. As little as 1-2 pieces of gum can kill a 20 lb dog! Dogs can suffer the effects of extremely low blood sugar. In addition, there is risk to liver injury/failure as the liver processes the toxin. For you cat lovers...good news is it doesn't seem to affect cats. I'm bothered that I never knew about the dangers of xylitol. It is fairly new and many veterinarians aren't even aware of its danger.
The story...I returned from vacation a couple days ago. I emptied my carry on of snacks but missed the gum that was in a small pocket. I don't even chew gum but had bought it for the flights. I left for the grocery store and sometime in that 1 1/2 hours I was gone my small cockapoo had eaten the entire package...42 pieces!!! I quickly googled xylitol and immediately knew we were in serious trouble. We jumped in the car and 20 minutes later we were at the emergency hospital. By that time his blood sugar was extremely low . He was lethargic and his hind legs were shaking. They induced vomiting and up came the gum. I'm sure that helped but the xylitol had already leached into his bloodstream. They put him on an IV drip and has since been able to maintain proper blood glucose. The new concern is damage to his liver. Two liver tests have shown a steady increase in enzymes. That means that his liver cells are dying. They are trying to protect the liver with meds. The liver has the ability to repair and regrow if not too much damage is done. He shows no outward signs of liver problems and is acting like his usual happy self. He is still at the animal hospital and they will run another test this afternoon. The prayer is that the numbers go down. If they don't that is a very bad sign which means damage to the liver is still happening. I am more optimistic than I was 24 hours ago but it is still very concerning. Please send PS dust his way.
The message I want to get across is if you have a dog at home please make sure you have no products containing xylitol or at the very least make sure they are out of reach. Time is of the essence! If your pet eats xylitol, don't wait. Seek care immediately! Many dogs have died and have left behind heartbroken owners:( My dog is still in danger but am 100% certain he would be dead if I didn't seek help when I did. I will update on his condition when this is over, hopefully with good news.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I am so sorry!!! Sending buckets and buckets of PS healing dust to your darling baby!!!

Please share his name so we can think of his name while keeping him in our prayers and thoughts. And sending big hugs to you too.

Thank you for sharing the PSA in order to help someone else and I am sending all my healing energy to your sweet cockapoo. (((Hugs))).

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Best wishes to you and your pup. Thank you VERY MUCH for sharing your post. I had no idea...

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
[attachment=0]_27501.jpg
Thank You! His name is Murphy. He is 10 years old. Life expectancy for cockapoos is 16+ years

_27501.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
He is precious. Such a sweet face. Sending lot's of positive wishes your way... Feel better :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
best wishes for Murphy's recovery.

can't imagine it is good for cats, either.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww what a sweet baby. He's gorgeous. I am keeping Murphy in my thoughts and prayers and sending tons of healing ***dust*** his way.
Thank you for sharing his name and photo.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
LetItShine - I really hope Murphy will be ok. I'm so sorry this happened. Thank you for the warning. I'm sure most pet owners would have no clue that it could an issue.

Those sugar alcohols don't agree with me either, I can't imagine what it's like for a little dog.

I was wondering if another common sugar alcohol, Sorbitol, was as dangerous to pets. It appears that Sorbitol is not but pets may still experience diarrhea from ingesting too much of it.

I'll be thinking of you and Murphy.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Poor guy! I hope he feels better soon.

I heard several years ago that Xylitol is lethally toxic for dogs and have been very careful ever since. Dogs are so curious and will eat anything!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Praying that he recovers!

I knew about xylitol being toxic to dogs after my dog swallowed a Flinstone chewable vitamin a that a neighbor's kid dropped in front 0f him. So you have to be extremely careful because xylitol is in lots of stuff

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Best of luck to sweet Murphy, he is so adorable.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, my goodness! I really hope that Murphy has quick, strong healing. He is absolutely adorable.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing your story. My dog has the habit of eating everything! She is super quick when we are out walking and has on occasion swallowed things on the ground before I could scoop it out of her mouth...drop it does not work with her. Our vet actually mentioned xylitol to us and it's amazing how many products use it as an ingredient .
I wish Murphy a speedy recovery. Thank goodness you got him to the hospital in time! Our family vet recommended milk thistle for our older dog when his liver enzymes were elevated. It worked for him as a supplement to his daily diet. it naturally helps protect the liver from further damage and helps regenerate liver cells. You may want to ask your vet about it once your pup recovers.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so good to know. I am sending lots of healing vibes and prayers for sweet Murphy. I think I will just avoid eating anything with Xylitol myself. I am not quite believing the FDA that it is safe for humans if it can do that much damage to a dog. It may be safe, but I won't trust it after hearing your story about Murphy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LetItShine, how is Murphy doing? I could not stop thinking about him yesterday and woke up thinking of him today. I am praying he recovers and is doing better today. Sending more love and hugs your and his way. And bucket loads of PS healing ***DUST***.

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
Re: PSA- Xylitol (sugar substitute) KILLS dogs!!! UPDATE

Thanks everyone! Murphy is going to be okay:) He is home now and doing great. It was a close call and he is a very lucky dog! The liver seems to have processed all the toxins. He is on supplements to help his liver repair and regrow.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: PSA- Xylitol (sugar substitute) KILLS dogs!!! UPDATE

LetItShine|1425146351|3839777 said:
Thanks everyone! Murphy is going to be okay:) He is home now and doing great. It was a close call and he is a very lucky dog! The liver seems to have processed all the toxins. He is on supplements to help his liver repair and regrow.

Woohoo!!! You have made my day LetItShine! So happy for you and Murphy! Please give him big hugs and kisses from me!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am soooo glad to hear that!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
That's so great to hear about Murphy! I'm so glad. Our dog like another poster mentioned is also one who gets into any food item he can. We are always on the lookout for that but he seems to unfortunately manage naughty stealing from time to time. Dogs are crafty little creatures. I love them though. And I'm sure you are over the moon about Murphy's recovery.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great to hear his liver is going to be okay!

Wow!
I had no idea this was a danger to them! Thank you so much for sharing.
We don't eat it in our house, but "A" has a mother who swears by the stuff and is always trying to send it home with her. Knowing this, I will definitely stick by my "NO" response every time she tries!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good news, indeed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results