shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA - studs and masks

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I have been so paranoid about this! When I have a mask on I swear I check mine every five seconds. It’s enough to make you think about not wearing them while this is going on. Or to try to find masks that tie behind the head instead of going behind the ears.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I did this too.

I took my mask off in the car after grocery shopping. I got home, unpacked, made dinner, watched a movie with my husband.

At bedtime, I looked in the mirror and one of my diamond stud earrings was hanging strangely. I had lost the backing for it. Luckily I hadn’t lost the earring.

What’s more amazing is that, retracing my steps in my mind, I decided to look for the backing in the car, in the dark. I actually found it on the car seat! =)2

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scary times in real life and jewelry time! So glad that no one has actually lost something. I check mine too and will only take the mask off when I am safely in my car. I’d rather lose something in there than have it fly off into the wild blue yonder - lol!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out "ear savers" on Etsy. These take the pressure off the ear (and move the elastic away from earrings) by having the ear loops hook onto the "ear saver" at the back of the head.

In the case of my husband's masks I have found a different solution. We bought various masks for him, but found that the ear loops interfered with his hearing aids. For the masks that were made with a casing (a tunnel) through which the elastic passes, I removed the original elastic and replaced it with a much longer piece of elastic. Using a tiny safety pin attached to the end of the elastic, I pushed the elastic up the right side casing, passed it around the back of the head, and pushed it down the left side casing, and made both ends long enough that they could be knotted at the back of the neck, with a generous tail left over. I used the Atwood elastic for this. He finds this very comfortable.

He had a few other masks that didn't have a casing for the elastic-- the elastic was stitched directly onto the mask. I cut off the elastic, then sewed up some casings of my own ( I used wide bias tape but you can use any fabric) and stitched those onto the side of the masks, and proceeded with the new elastic in the same way as described above.

If you don't have enough elastic to do this you can use fabric ties instead. Pass one long tie down the right side casing, and one long tie down the left side casing, to be tied in back of the head and neck. You can also use long shoestrings instead of fabric.

Last edited:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Y'all be careful ripping off your mask. One of my studs flew off yesterday. Thank goodness I found it! LOTS to worry about these days!

Interesting you posted this. I took my studs out and put them away when mask wearing became the new norm. I have no plans on wearing earrings until we get a vaccine and mask wearing is not necessary anymore.

My concern was not losing a stud. My concern was the earring getting caught on the ear loop of the mask and ripping my hole. My daughter almost had this happen to her when her mask ear look got caught on her stud so she took out her earrings as well.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:oops2: Yikes!!

None of my masks go around my ears though I've made masks for others like this. (the darn things don't stay on my ears are apparently too small...lol)

I make masks with loops for a reason, so that the person can change from behind the head to ear loops if thats whats wanted. I know some don't prefer behind the head but if you're wearing earrings (especially expensive ones) they're the most protective.

Also if you wear glasses, ear loops might not be as comfortable. some people have taken buttons with small rubber bands, made a sort of ear saver with that, and hooked the rubber band loops to their glasses, then put the mask on the button. pretty cool idea I think!

Also if you know someone with a 3d printer, there are ear saver files everywhere now...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve just quit wearing earrings regularly for now. Most of my favorites are dangle, shepherds hook etc style rather than studs, and I suspect they’d be really easy to lose when removing masks. So I’m saving the earrings for special occasions... when we get back to celebrating special occasions. (It helps that I’m mostly sheltering in place in my boyfriends house, well away from my earrings.)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
:oops2: Yikes!!

None of my masks go around my ears though I've made masks for others like this. (the darn things don't stay on my ears are apparently too small...lol)

I make masks with loops for a reason, so that the person can change from behind the head to ear loops if thats whats wanted. I know some don't prefer behind the head but if you're wearing earrings (especially expensive ones) they're the most protective.

Also if you wear glasses, ear loops might not be as comfortable. some people have taken buttons with small rubber bands, made a sort of ear saver with that, and hooked the rubber band loops to their glasses, then put the mask on the button. pretty cool idea I think!

Also if you know someone with a 3d printer, there are ear saver files everywhere now...

See, this is where my big ears finally serve a purpose! It makes studs look smaller, but my masks stay firmly in place on my ears! I have had no issues with my glasses and masks in terms of fitting. But I do find it annoying that my mask sometimes fogs my glasses. I find that cleaning my lenses with soap and water right before I go out and also wearing a mask with a little wire that I can mold to my nose helps somewhat with glasses fogging. But it is still annoying.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if it would help to use the anti-fogging liquid made for snorkeling masks?

I found this article that has other suggestions. This paragraph interested me. I may try the baby shampoo.

"Moisture also can attach to the microscopic imperfections in the glass. That is why anti-fog, baby shampoo or spit works. They act as surfactants that reduce the surface tension of the condensing water, making it less likely to cling to the glass."

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't keep a mask on because the elastic slips off my ears so use headbands with buttons sewn on like these:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I had my mask ear strap get tangled in my earring. The backs of my earrings stay put until I squeeze them so they weren't coming off.

I don't go out much, and I love wearing my studs around the house. Even on days I'm feeling super frumpy, just putting them in and putting on my e-ring makes me feel like a queen and brightens my mood. If I had to put them away in a drawer until this pandemic is over I think I'd go into a major depression! Some days that little bit of bling keeps me going.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my mask ear strap get tangled in my earring. The backs of my earrings stay put until I squeeze them so they weren't coming off.

I don't go out much, and I love wearing my studs around the house. Even on days I'm feeling super frumpy, just putting them in and putting on my e-ring makes me feel like a queen and brightens my mood. If I had to put them away in a drawer until this pandemic is over I think I'd go into a major depression! Some days that little bit of bling keeps me going.

I do the same! It's the little things......

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wear my jewelry around the house. My fear with any of my earring is losing them because of the mask straps. No makeup these days either...grrr. I guess I should just put my eyeshadow on, lol!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now, places where I go requiring face covering to be worn are limited to grocery stores, farm shops, hairdresser and dentist, and I have been wearing huggies, either real or costume, as I tend to wear huggies in the warmer months with Hawaiian shirts.

However, thanks for the reminder to check and be more careful.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results