shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA on forward-facing car seats and highback boosters

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mommies out there!

I wanted to share some information I learned at a training I had for work on car seat installation for work (we sometimes transport children).

I didn''t know this information and after talking to a few friends of toddlers and pre-k kids, I''ve learned that they didn''t know this information, either.

There is a tether that is attached to the back of all forward-facing carseats (it''s toward the top of the back of the car seat, looks like a seatbelt and has a metal hook at the end). A lot of parents get this confused with the LATCH system (which is used in place of the seatbelt for attaching to the vehicle).

Whether you use the LATCH system or the regular seat belts in your vehicle to secure the car seat or highback booster in your car, the tether is *very* important to be used in all forward facing seats. The tether is made to attach to a metal loop in your car (most cars have them on the back dash, SUVs tend to have them attached to the upper frame of the vehicle, and minivans often have the loops attached to the back of each passenger seat; car manufactures are required to have this on cars 2003 and newer, and if you have a hard time locating the loop, they are marked with a picture of a car seat sitting in a passenger seat, or can be found by reviewing the owner''s manual of the vehicle).

The use of the tether is particularly important when rear-impacts occur. The tether secures the top/back of the car seat or booster and supports the child''s head, and prevents the seat from jarring forward at time of impact. This supports the child'' head/neck, which is a very sensitive place for all of us, and particularly for young children.

Just wanted to share this information, because the training stated that when seats are checked in vehicles, over 80% do not have the tethers installed and this is an easy step you only have to do once (don''t have to undo each time you remove the child, etc.) and it saves lives and reduces injuries for children.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Wanted to add this info also:

Rear facing tethering is also possible and makes the seat more secure. Britax and Sunshine Kids are the only seats that allow it. Most seats do have a tether that can be used rear facing but you have to consult the manual as they will tell you it''s not necessary. When you tether RFing, you''ll want to secure it to something that is bolted to the vehicle ground.

First year true fit does not tether RF but does have an anti-rebound bar.

The RFing tether is a feature that I think is important now that I have a seat without it. Our seat does not move from side to side at all but it bounces slightly which doesn''t cause that much of a safety concern (otherwise it wouldn''t be sold that way) but if you can add extra security with the RF tether, then why not? Kwim?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Fisher! Installing car seats is bordering on rocket science these days! When DD was a baby, you just buckled the dang thing in!

Another thing worth noting is that most hospitals and fire houses and some car dealerships offer a free car seat check. We''re going to a drive through service before our little one arrives to make sure we put in in right.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Rear-facing tethering is possible in a couple models, but if the manufacture doesn''t recommend it, it''s safer NOT to tether. Reason is because the seat wasn''t made for tethering and there isn''t the needed reinforcements in place on the plastic of the seat to support the extra force at the point of the tether''s attachment to the car seat. But yes, if you have a seat that is meant for tethering in rear-facing, by all means, use it.

Thanks, Fiery.

Pupp, Hey you! Is it time for your baby to come out yet?
9.gif

Yes, there are check points you can go to for car seat installation, and it''s not just for the infant seats.... you can go each time your baby graduates up to another size seat. Also, most Health Departments have a free class you can attend for car seat installation and safety. You don''t have to be a recipient of their services (read, on WIC, receiving care there, etc.) to attend the class, although you won''t qualify for a free car seat unless you meet their income restrictions. Regardless, the class is open to anyone (at least in GA and NC, and I imagine in other states as well). The videos they show will convince you in a second of the importance of staying rear-facing as long as possible (some seats will allow for up to 35 pounds) and once you front-face, to absolutely tether your child.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results