Premium
Re: PSA: Delete your Google/Youtube history before it's too

Done! Thanks!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kenny:

While I have an account and log in info with Google, I have never "created an account" with Youtube. Does this mean there is nothing to delete, or does it work differently for Youtube? I went to Google and paused my history - thank you so much by the way for the heads up - but don't see how I can do that on Youtube if I don't have an account there?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-M

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Going to do this now....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

A much appreciated PSA.

Seriously, is this seen as a plus by anybody? Does the younger generation (get off my lawn, etc.) see it as a positive symbiosis? Because the only perspective I've seen is the one that used the lack of privacy to justify leaving FB for G+ ....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1330286646|3135058 said:
Kenny:

While I have an account and log in info with Google, I have never "created an account" with Youtube. Does this mean there is nothing to delete, or does it work differently for Youtube? I went to Google and paused my history - thank you so much by the way for the heads up - but don't see how I can do that on Youtube if I don't have an account there?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-M

Sorry min, I don't know the answer.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

Is this only for gmail users?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Does anybody know if your browsing history -- on, say, Google & YouTube -- are collected if you don't sign in when you use them?

iLander

Ideal_Rock

This is important info, Kenny, thanks!

I copied and pasted the article (removing the hyperlinks and hopefully anything else) and sent it to my family/friends.

The internet is like a drug pusher; they start you out with the stuff being "free". ;)) Eventually they want to get paid.

With Google they'll make their money by selling your info.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1330290736|3135114 said:
Does anybody know if your browsing history -- on, say, Google & YouTube -- are collected if you don't sign in when you use them?

No, searches are not collected unless you are signed in. I just tested it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mine said there was no web history. I am not sure why because stay signed in to google all the time plus I see ads on my gmail page based on key words found in my emails (like diamond ads!!!).

But thanks, Kenny!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maria D|1330297324|3135176 said:

how do you test it?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maria D|1330297324|3135176 said:

Oh Phew! good to know

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I tested it by logging into my google account, making sure the web history feature was not set to "paused," and then doing a few google searches. I refreshed the web history page and there were the searches. Then I logged out, did more searches, logged back in and checked to see if the searches I did while logged out were there. Nope!

I don't think this google web history tracking has anything to do with the targeted ads you see. I believe those are caused by cookies you pick up at web sites and the fact that your ip address gives away your location. Not an expert here...

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Done -- Thank you, Kenny!!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hate being tracked by anonymous entities, so like many others of you I was grateful to kenny for his posting. I have always been paranoid about signing up for Google accounts or YouTube accounts so I never did so, but I knew I had a g-mail account. So I printed out the instructions on how to remove a Google account and attempted to follow them for that g-mail account. However, when I got near the end, I ran into a glitch. When I got to number 5 where I was supposed to see, "Go to Web History" and then I was supposed to be able to "Remove all Web History" I wasn't given that choice! I was asked if I wanted to turn on web history...so I just chose "no thanks"! Why had I been given a choice? Was I not tracked before? How do I know I wasn't? (They had a page of information on me, after all!)

Deb/AGBF
:read:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I deleted my gmail account. Thanks for the heads up, Kenny.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, I finally deleted my gmail acct's web history and will migrate to a new non-Gmail email account over the next few days.

These big information mega-corporations really creep me out . . . looking into the CONTENTS of our email is going too far. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

I spoke with a friend tonight and she has given up worrying about all this.
She feels it is impossible to protect your privacy post 9-11.

She may be right but I'm still going to do what I can to not make it easy for them.

One reason I refuse to get an iPhone is I hear they track your location 24/7. :angryfire:
I'm not a criminal and have nothing to hide, but if true that's beyond creepy.

If it is true it's only a matter of time before some service will, for $25, let your husband spy on you by reporting your GPS coordinates, to see if you really are working late.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG, right after I posted the above post this ad showed up on another forum I frequent ...

Maybe many people aren't bothered by this spy/advertising but I think it's insidious.

Screen shot 2012-02-26 at 10.59.46 PM.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Am I paranoid or did the article to which kenny (and now I) was sending people just disappear from the 'net? If the article is still there, please tell me. If not, can anyone remember the instructions for removing one's history and post them here?

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1330354225|3135580 said:
Am I paranoid or did the article to which kenny (and now I) was sending people just disappear from the 'net? If the article is still there, please tell me. If not, can anyone remember the instructions for removing one's history and post them here?

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Here it is Deb-I copied and pasted it for you here: (I just wish I understood how to do this I am that internet incompetent :(sad )

With just a week to go before Google changes to its new privacy policy that allows it to gather, store and use personal information, users have a last chance to delete their Google Browsing History, along with any damning information therein.

Tech News Daily reports that once Google's new unified privacy policy takes effect all data already collected about you, including search queries, sites visited, age, gender and location will be gathered and assigned to your online identity represented by your Gmail and YouTube accounts. After the policy takes effect you are not allowed to opt out without abandoning Google altogether. But now before the policy takes effect, you have the option of deleting your Google Web History by modifying your settings so that Google is unable to associate data collected about you with your Gmail or YouTube accounts.

Tech News Daily reports that Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco that advocates for online privacy, says: "Search data can reveal particularly sensitive information about you, including facts about your location, interests, age, sexual orientation, religion, health concerns, and more."

EFF advises all Google users to delete their web history.

Meanwhile, Center for Digital Democracy has filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, asking the Commission to sue Google to stop the policy change. Tech News Daily reports FTC can impose fines up to $16,000 per day for violation.

Daily Mail reports that deleting your browsing history before March 1 when Google's new privacy policy comes into effect will limit Google's ability to track and record your every move online. The process is simple. Follow the steps below:

1. Go to the google homepage and sign into your account.
2. Click the dropdown menu next to your name in the upper-right hand corner of your screen.
3. Click accounts settings
4. Find the "Services section"
5. Under "Services" there is a sub-section that reads "View, enable, disable web history." Click the link next to it that reads: "Go to Web History." (Note: When you click "Go to Web History" you may be taken to a page which gives you the options "Turn Web History On"/"No Thanks": Click "Turn Web History On" and you will finally be taken to step 6 below)
6. Click on "Remove all Web History"

When you click on "Remove all Web History," a message appears that says " Web History is Paused." What this means is that while Google will continue gathering and storing information about your web history it will make all data anonymous, that is, Google will not associate your Web History information with your online accounts and will therefore be unable to send you customized search results.
Google's ability to gather personalized information about you by assigning data to your Gmail and YouTube accounts will remain "Paused" till you click "Resume."

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you very much, missy! The site was apparently only undergoing some work, but my paranoia was running rampant! I thought Google had destroyed the site in an attempt to wipe out all references to how to stop their control of the universe!

Hugs,
Deb
:saint:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1330367811|3135698 said:
Thank you very much, missy! The site was apparently only undergoing some work, but my paranoia was running rampant! I thought Google had destroyed the site in an attempt to wipe out all references to how to stop their control of the universe!

Hugs,
Deb
:saint:

That wouldn't surprise me.
FWIW here are screen captures of it too.

1.png

2.png

3.png

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This is absurd. Thanks, Kenny! Orwell wasn't kidding.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

If you're important enough, the govt is probably already keeping tabs on you. I'm not concerned about anyone finding out that i'm searching for jewelry and food, and I think people are freaking out over nothing.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ForteKitty|1330371818|3135760 said:
If you're important enough, the govt is probably already keeping tabs on you.

I'm not concerned about anyone finding out that i'm searching for jewelry and food, and I think people are freaking out over nothing.

You have every right to be blasé about what others are finding out about you, but why do you need to denigrate others who still harbor a desire for privacy when they purchase a bottle of milk or search the Internet looking for the brand of perfume they prefer? Saying that we are, "freaking out" when we desire to guard our own privacy is insulting. We were not telling you that you had to guard yours!

Deb/AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results