shape
carat
color
clarity

PS jewelry trends

4ever

Ideal_Rock
What jewellery did you buy when it was big on PriceScope and do you still have/ wear it now?

I bought a sliding bezel diamond pendant almost 7 years ago when they were popular here. I hadn't worn it for several years but have started wearing it again recently.
I also got 3 prong martini stud settings when they were first popular almost 5 years ago. I still wear them but wish I'd have chosen another setting as I don't find them very comfortable. I may eventually replace them.

I still want IDJ jackets even though they're soooo PS 2012 ;))

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
There are a few things I now own for which I'll thank PS: learning about antique/old cut diamonds, which led to owning one, and finding the sweetest Barbara bezel pendant by BGD. Both are within 15 months old and I still wear them. Also, I learned about recutting poor performing diamonds into blazing disco balls of light, a la BGD's services (alas, I do not own the recut diamond anymore - sold it to fund my OMC addiction). :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About three years ago I bought a James Meyer 3-stone diamond ring to wear on my right hand. I wear it almost every day.

Several years ago I commissioned Julia Kay Taylor to make two colored stone rings for me - one with a hessonite garnet, and another with a luscious pink tourmaline. I've worn them many times, but rarely wear them now due to *see above.* I have another JKT ring (set in a fairly "iconic" - for her - as in pre-PS style) set with an amethyst that I sometimes wear on my left hand, though.

I treated myself to a pair of BGD baby bezel studs two or three years ago, a few years after the "baby bezel" trend had come and gone. I guess I should have paid attention to the trend's trend! :lol: Anyhow, I liked the diamonds but didn't care for the bezels, so I had WF re-set them in hand made 8-prong martini settings. I wear those earrings almost every day.

So - three wins, partial wins, or successful salvages. BUT the times I've bought because of a PS trend are far outweighed by the trends I've bucked, avoided, ignored, or just plain could not afford! ;))

ETA - my larger stud earrings are set in 3-prong martinis, a choice definitely influenced by PS. I don't dislike them, but I'm not as enamored of the setting as I once was. I may get them re-set in 8-prongs or a custom basket one of these days.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess you could say I bought most of my diamonds when round brilliants (no one had heard of a "modern round brilliant" back then) were still the "best" stones on Pricescope. Besides cut (which was "king") high color and good clarity were considered valuable, both by the industry and-only to a slightly lesser extent, here on Pricescope. It was quite common for women here to want high color, or even D color specifically, stones back then. Most of the stones I bought then were ideal cut; high color; and VS clarity. I sold one of them. (I had two 1.25 carat diamonds set as earrings and I never wore them because they were too big.) But I still have the rest. I often wish that I didn't have a lot of little pieces and, instead, had a 3 carat solitaire. However, I like the choices I made when I was choosing stones.

AGBF

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm... I want to say "old cuts", but the truth is I've been interested in old cuts ever since I was a little girl. I vividly remember a friend's aunt showing me a ring and telling me her great-grandfather had made the setting himself and the diamond had been in the family since the 1800s. I was just blown away by that! I bought my first old cuts around 2011 (partly due to PS educating me a bit) and was so excited to show my friend's aunt my old cuts. She just turned her nose up at them. Apparently it doesn't count if you buy them, you're meant to inherit them. :rolleyes:

Whatever. I think she was just jealous because mine were bigger and whiter! :lol:

I have had a couple of bezeled pendants made as well as bezeled studs, but I've always liked bezels. My second engagement ring from my first husband (long story) was bezeled and I loved it (well, of course I did, I chose it :lol: ). Simple, classic, stylish, and well protected (I'm a klutz). I wanted a bezel this time too, but thought it would be in poor taste to do a similar setting a second time. I kinda wish I had though, because hardly anyone from back then is still in my life now, 10 years later and those who are probably won't remember, lol. My e-ring now is more than double the size of the first one, so it's not even as if it would've been identical or anything. But oh, well.

I had old cut bezeled studs made because I fell in love with Yssie's Chunky and Lopsy (anyone remember them? :D ) but after a few weeks I realised that I hated wearing studs. I'm not a stud person. Try as I might, I'm not elegant and refined and ladylike and all those lovely adjectives one uses to describe classy people. :lol: Me? I'm short and round and loud. I like big, bold, dangly earrings that wave about and tinkle when I move my face (which is often, because I come from a culture where we don't just speak with our mouths, we speak with our entire bodies :cheeky: ) so I had them converted to dangles. I love the look of them, but they don't feel secure, so I hardly wear them. A nice pair of BGD huggies is on the wish list ;-) but I think they might be a bit too dainty for me. I don't know. We'll see. :)

One PS trend I did stay away from and I'm so thankful I did, is dainty lil bands. Shortly after I joined I read some "rule" that your wedding band shouldn't outweigh your e-ring centre stone. Pffffffffffffft! :lol: Mine does, and I honestly don't care. Actually, I don't care to such an extent that I actually have two - one on either side of my e-ring! :lol: And I like the look. It works for me. :)

I think the stud thing taught me that liking the look of something on someone else doesn't mean one would like the look of it on oneself. I mean, I adore Yssie and I adore Chunky and Lopsy and they suit her to a T (and her bigger ones even more so! :love: ) but now when I see something covetous, I first evaluate how it would fit in with my lifestyle. For instance, I've been lusting after a super-long DBTY a la Missy. I love the look... But I have a 14 month old baby who clambers over me to such an extent that I've already lost one necklace. I'm not the type who keeps things locked away "for special occasions", so I guess I just have to hope that by the time I can comfortably wear a necklace like that it will still be in style! :D

Endless pavé and super delicate settings? Absolutely stunning! When done properly, they're veritable works of art! But not for me. And I'm ok with that. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Handforged halo?

I doubt I'd have my handforged halo without PS. I did go with a plain shank though.

I tend to go my own way generally though and I'm generally true to my own tastes not trends.

Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of things I love for others that come and go on PS. But if I like something for myself, I like it whether it is popular or not. I am planning on getting a bar set band. Not popular anywhere right now. But I still like them.

My 'ideal' ring today is the same as it was when I started PS. 2 carat modern cushion split shank. I tried one on last week and I still adore it more than anything else on my hand.

I have learned to identify and adore OECs. But I've always loved deco jewelry.

PS has made me become more 'myself' in tastes.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
Those tiny Brian Gavin huggy hoops. The diamonds are beautiful but I have trouble with the wire and I think the one earring is bent out of shape so I don't wear them anymore.

My avc solitaire that is a k color I love and wear as my engagement ring. I never would have gotten that cut or a k color stone if not for pricescope. I did buy it pre-loved from a pricescope member as well.

I have two of the whiteflash Danielle jazz bands, I love those and wear them almost daily. I had two bands made by David Klass as well, I love them and wear them all the time also. The stacking band trend is one of my favorites.

I think I did pretty good following pricescope trends. It helps that people here are so educated about their jewelry.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
-VC emilya hand forged halo
-OEC round in a CVB halo
-IDJ baguette/round eternity band (stacking band trend)
-OEC pear diamond :love:
-a gorgeous blue zircon (wouldn't have even known what they were unless it was for PS)

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I never found PS, I would probably own only my solitaire e-ring, but with a much smaller center stone. All my other diamond jewelry are thanks to PS, eternity band, dbty, cushion halo. I "binge" wear my jewelry. For instance, the eternity band was untouched for YEARS, but lately I started wearing it all the time.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably my setting, spacer, tiny bezel studs and my ruby and diamond dbty necklace? Do those count as "trends?" Everything I wear is really a classic or something that's been around forever.

I don't wear freaking anything I own though.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three stone ring back in the early 2000's, eternity band, ACA studs.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The biggest PS trend that I've followed over the years has been upgrading! Love the concept :appl: Thinking of upgrading my studs again.

I definitely got on the martini setting train few years ago for the studs. Couldn't get used to the pointy ends and they hurt my ears. Changed them to 4 prong baskets.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Diamond earring jackets that are "PS" quality.

cheers--Sharon

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An IDJewelry topaz and diamond eternity ring, and when the threading on my studs with screw backs started to show its age, I reset the four prong setting to bezels, without the screwball posts.

When I first found PS, the key pendants were a going trend. I really wanted one, but never did get one.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, I don't know how I forgot!

Although I'm not sure we would call colored diamonds a trend, I sure wouldn't have my wonderful little yellow diamond ring, who is in my avatar, without PS. She was Leibish's 2015 Mother's Day give away prize.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I jumped on the ACA bandwagon because of PS and can't say I am sorry. I have 3 WF bands and an ACA ering in a custom WF band. I also bought some ACA studs which I wear 99% of time. I tried the halo route because of PS but traded them back in; while they are pretty they aren't my style. I definitely believe PS make me pickier and gave me DSS (although my 1.5 ering is small by PS standards).

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:D PS has been a HUGE influence on me! I never would have bought jewelry online if it hadn't been for this forum. I bought the Cartier Rolling Ring because of PS influence and I LOVE it! I've been wearing it daily since I got it several years ago. I've also now purchased colored stones, something which I also was influenced by PS as I was a strictly diamond gal! :D I think it's pretty awesome the knowledge and the enablers on this site. ;-)

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS inspired me to get two halo settings.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased martini studs when those were popular. I think PS influenced that. I've since upgraded and don't wear them.

I also own a Cartier rolling ring and wear it all the time.

I wanted diamond halos for my earrings but I'm glad they were too expensive for me. I don't think I'd wear them enough to make it worth it.

I tried the stacking thing, but it doesn't look good on me so I don't do it and since sold off the bands for about what I paid for them.

3 purchases. 1 success for 3 years. 1 success. 1 fail but no financial loss.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results