shape
carat
color
clarity

Proud owners of “mismatched” black and white pearl studs?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been on the hunt for pair of white and black Tahitian pearl studs. Here’s a pair I’ve been drooling over on Kamoka:

7C458FDF-2FEE-49A0-BD60-69F08F4460C3.jpeg

Anyone else in the same boat or own a similar pair? Would love to see ear shots! I’m having a hard time finding photos online that show both ears aka a straight on photo.

Also, is your white pearl slightly smaller than the black? Since white visually appears larger. If you have size measurements that would be helpful!

Lastly, any vendors you would recommend? Although my local jeweler can certainly provide the backings, due to COVID I’m looking for ready to wear than having to make physical trips to the jeweler in order to respect and follow our local lockdown order.

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My general advice, having designed earrings and sourced many many pearl studs...

If you'd like a mismatched pair, you save yourself some headache and generally find higher quality by buying two separate sets of matched studs that you wouldn't mind wearing as a mix. For example, a tahitian pair and a white south sea pair. Then, ultimately, you're getting more versatility of color and have a match available on hand for both, if you want. This, rather than getting a mismatched pair and eventually down the road wanting something matched. - just my 2 c :)

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@molinePDG Many thanks as always for taking the time to share your wise two cents!

I have a pair of Tahitians already. Given your sage advice, I may look for a pair of white Akoya or SS. Do you think SS would work better as a match (aka more softer flow, also comes in bigger sizes) for the Tahitians?

And how much slightly smaller should the white Akoya or SS be than the Tahitian to give the illusion of same size? My Tahitian studs are 9.11mm

I may reach out to you via the email on your Instagram post holidays to source some of these pearls. Hope that’s ok!

Merry Christmas Eve!

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
In general, I would say that WSS pair better for "mismatch" with tahitians. Unless you have an extremely high luster Tahitian pearl, in which case akoya could work, but anything in high quality 9+ mm akoya is rare anyway - WSS is certainly an easier find, and quite possibly cheaper when Akoya get big like that.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
In general, I would say that WSS pair better for "mismatch" with tahitians. Unless you have an extremely high luster Tahitian pearl, in which case akoya could work, but anything in high quality 9+ mm akoya is rare anyway - WSS is certainly an easier find, and quite possibly cheaper when Akoya get big like that.

Thank you!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love the mismatched look ! Personally I think that I'd use a WSS as the lustre will be comparable to the Tahitian . Akoya , while certainly possible to find, will be a super hard shine that might be a bit distracting. I've done lots of this style but I tend to buy singles that I love and then find something eventually that matches up for size and lustre.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the mis-match look, however, I believe it does not work with small pearls, and I can't wear anything bigger than 10mm! :(

DK :))

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Anyone else in the same boat or own a similar pair? Would love to see ear shots! I’m having a hard time finding photos online that show both ears aka a straight on photo.

Here are mine but dangles. Agree that Tahitians match with Ssp better cos of the luster.
And I finally managed to set them.

image_1044.jpg

The bottom pearls can swing and I really like this simple design. Here is the side view that shows the settings better in case anyone is interested

image_1045.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have a pair of black and white Tahitians. the white Tahitian still has a greyed component...a winter white, if you will. I like the deeper luster and whiter white of the WSS against the Tahitian. The difference is less visible in pictures. Comparing to the new WSS button studs for color. I agree with the white pearl being slightly smaller. My white Tahitian was not (I made these myself with pearls and components). Big mistake :)
20201225_080911.jpg

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the concept of mismatched pearl studs or danglings but sadly I don’t hv any existing ones that are similar in size & shape to wear in the mismatched way :???:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@katbran Thank you for your thoughts! I’ll likely reach out to one or two PS pearl vendors after the new year to get their help in helping me match black and white pearls in terms of luster, etc, very excited! I’ll take a look at your Etsy page too!

@icy_jade Wow! Thanks for sharing! I love the idea of two pearls on each ear—seems to emphasize the perfect asymmetric symmetry even more!

May I ask who you purchased the earrings from? Did it come ready made or did you have to source the pearls first and find the settings later?

If you wear them anytime soon, may I trouble you for a photo to see what they look like together (aka straight on photo showing both pearls in the same picture?)

It’s hard to find straight on photos for these “mismatched” pearls, but here’s one I found online (I just want to make sure I’m “cool” enough to pull off the look haha):

Attachments

• 0CAAE29C-3437-4DC3-B5D7-93149241DA6E.jpeg
    0CAAE29C-3437-4DC3-B5D7-93149241DA6E.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of black and white Tahitians. the white Tahitian still has a greyed component...a winter white, if you will. I like the deeper luster and whiter white of the WSS against the Tahitian. The difference is less visible in pictures. Comparing to the new WSS button studs for color. I agree with the white pearl being slightly smaller. My white Tahitian was not (I made these myself with pearls and components). Big mistake :)
20201225_080911.jpg

@MMtwo Thanks for sharing! These look very much like the ones on Kamoka’s website, I love it! Would love a photo of you wearing them next time, showing both pearls at the same time/in the same picture!

My dream goal is to have one white pearl stud and one black pearl stud, and an ombré necklace like this to go with the earrings:

9270CCE3-1D93-4F27-81A1-335E14E36EC8.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the concept of mismatched pearl studs or danglings but sadly I don’t hv any existing ones that are similar in size & shape to wear in the mismatched way :???:

Me too
but im not nearly cool enough
My SIL would say something about putting the light on to get dressed - yet if her fashiom forward DIL did she would be doing it too !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MMtwo Thanks for sharing! These look very much like the ones on Kamoka’s website, I love it! Would love a photo of you wearing them next time, showing both pearls at the same time/in the same picture!

My dream goal is to have one white pearl stud and one black pearl stud, and an ombré necklace like this to go with the earrings:

Now that is graduated colour!
The best example i have ever seen
how would one do this ?
The necklases ive seen are never even subtle

Buy 100 pearls and do it yourself ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
20201225_080911.jpg

Im in love with the combo
the hint of grey is just perfect

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Now that is graduated colour!
The best example i have ever seen
how would one do this ?
The necklases ive seen are never even subtle

Buy 100 pearls and do it yourself ?

I think to do it well requires a professional aka I don’t think it’s easily doable ourselves (or at least for me lol).

I’ve seen cheaper ombré strands on Etsy that look tacky (sorry, but it’s true!). The one I posted is from Mikimoto. There’s always the exception/deal, but I like to operate on the life philosophy that I should never assume I’m the exception to the rule and not to hope to get lucky, and thus I think one gets what one pays for is generally true in life and true when it comes to jewelry. When I have tried to “copy” more expensive looks myself, I don’t quite get there and honestly at this point I rather just have less pieces of jewelry overall and save up for the few pieces I REALLY want.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Ohhh, I love the ombre strand. I tried to take a dead on photo, but can you believe both my earlobes do not show at once? I can only catch both of them if I hold my head way back.
This is as close as I can get it. Annoying, because the fun is seeing both at once.

My dern block head. I have the skull shape of a pitbull :D

20201225_163942.jpg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@MMtwo Merry Christmas! You look very festive with your lovely red color and the pearls! Thanks for indulging me—I can see both pearls (nonsense re the pit bull! I think you look great!), just what I needed to convince me.

I’m sold! It’s such a chic look!

Thank you for helping me pin down my first jewelry project of 2021: black and white studs! Off to spend my Christmas bonus!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@MMtwo Merry Christmas! You look very festive with your lovely red color and the pearls! Thanks for indulging me—I can see both pearls (nonsense re the pit bull! I think you look great!), just what I needed to convince me.

I’m sold! It’s such a chic look!

Thank you for helping me pin down my first jewelry project of 2021: black and white studs! Off to spend my Christmas bonus!

What fun! Thank you....wish the picture was better, but if it helped you decide, awesome!
I look forward to seeing the lovely pearls. Have you decided on the Miki ombre strand?...*drooling*

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
What fun! Thank you....wish the picture was better, but if it helped you decide, awesome!
I look forward to seeing the lovely pearls. Have you decided on the Miki ombre strand?...*drooling*

@MMtwo For the ombré strand I’ll prob try it on first at a Mimi boutique first, since it’s a bit pricy for me, so want to make sure I like it on me first! Hopefully the COVID situation improves in the next few weeks (months?); we are on lockdown currently.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
blending of colors, but a gradual shift. I sometimes buy ombre yarn. 26933.jpg

Thank you
As subtlety is not one of my stronger points its no wonder i had no idea what it ment!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MMtwo For the ombré strand I’ll prob try it on first at a Mimi boutique first, since it’s a bit pricy for me, so want to make sure I like it on me first! Hopefully the COVID situation improves in the next few weeks (months?); we are on lockdown currently.

Oh please let them allow you to take photos !!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ombre is just gorgeous :love:

@Pinkmartini87 I completely agree. Chasing “the look for less” is almost always a one-way ticket to throwing perfectly good money away - unless you’re not actually all that particular about “the look” to begin with. I can’t imagine a way to do B&W better than that Miki :cool2:

I wouldn’t ask a vendor to replicate another vendor’s ombre precisely in hue and numeric division of hue. I have seen ombre strands from other vendors that I think are beautiful in their own right, though! Here’s a white/yellow I like - a very gradual gradient:
https://www.pearlparadise.com/produ...-aa-aaa-ombre-golden-south-sea-pearl-necklace
C77B490F-2D99-48EE-955B-BA0CD31E7990.jpeg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

@Pinkmartini87 I completely agree. Chasing “the look for less” is almost always a one-way ticket to throwing perfectly good money away - unless you’re not actually all that particular about “the look” to begin with. I can’t imagine a way to do B&W better than that Miki :cool2:

I wouldn’t ask a vendor to replicate another vendor’s ombre precisely in hue and numeric division of hue. I have seen ombre strands from other vendors that I think are beautiful in their own right, though! Here’s a white/yellow I like - a very gradual gradient:
https://www.pearlparadise.com/produ...-aa-aaa-ombre-golden-south-sea-pearl-necklace

I just saw this one
amit_ombre_long_9mm_WSS_Tahitian_1.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooooo I loooove this!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
May I ask who you purchased the earrings from? Did it come ready made or did you have to source the pearls first and find the settings later?

If you wear them anytime soon, may I trouble you for a photo to see what they look like together (aka straight on photo showing both pearls in the same picture?)

I got them loose at a jewelry fair but I’ve seen already set mismatch earrings too. Here they are before setting and some inspiration pics

And my mismatched WSSP n tahitian pairs:

image_136.jpg

image_137.jpg

image_138.jpg

I don't think I've the budget for a design with loads of diamonds though, so I'm still on the look out for a simpler design.

Unfortunately I’ve never managed to take proper pics of them at the same time thanks to how my ears are angled but I’ve been told that they look good. But mine are doubly mismatched so they are matchy to some degree if that makes sense?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock

@yssie I saw that strand as well and agree it’s so lovely and well-executed. Unfortunately yellow toned gems/baubles tends to not pop against my skin tone. But I love seeing golden SS on some of the other PSers on here (including your amazing bracelet!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results