shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposing this weekend... Need contingency plan assistance... PLEASE.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Hello again. Hope I am not being too annoying. I''m stressed more than I expected with this proposal thing. My gf and I are going to be in Manhattan this weekend for a wedding (arrive on the 8th and leave on the 10th). I am planning to propose on the 10th (I refuse to do at the wedding or before the wedding as it will take away from the bride and grooms day, Sunday we will be alone and have to ourselves).

I have reservations for a Gondola ride in Central Park. Yes, they have them there. Anyways, this is something that will work great if the weather is nice. However, I just checked weather.com and as of now, there is a chance of rain everyday from now through the weekend! That said, the Gondola ride will NOT work if it is raining. I am trying to come up with some other unique plans as a fallback. I am only doing this once, so I want it to be perfect. I am very confident my gf is not expecting it this weekend (that''s part of the reason I chose it). I want something relatively unique, but also something rather private as she has indicated she would not enjoy being made a spectacle of (i.e. in center of a restaurant, etc).

I''ve never been to NY (we live in Chicago). I thought of a Helicopter ride, but first, it would be loud, and second, there would be 4 other strangers with us. Thought of a horse and buggy ride (works even in the rain), but that is not as unique maybe? Maybe I am over analyzing this. The closer and closer I get to this weekend, the more excited and nervous I become. Any and all suggestions, comments, insults are welcome. THANKS in advance for the help.
love.gif
wavey.gif

wonderwoman1114

Rough_Rock
I'll give you some suggestions although you might find them a bit cheesey or corny, but here it goes. Try the Botanical Garden. Very beautiful and very romantic!! Or you could go to the new toys r us and propose on the giant ferris wheel they have. Maybe a ferry ride over to the statue of liberty or on the top floor of the empire state building. How about a museum? They have plenty of places to sneak off to without making a spectacle. Try the museum of natural history. If you go to the ancient egypt section they have a pond that is supposed to represent the nile river. Breathtaking!!! Let me know if you'd like more suggestions.
9.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Check out the (long) answer I gave to another potential NYC proposer: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/proposing-in-the-big-apple.7888/

If it rains, I'd suggest one of our fine museums: the indoor garden at the Frick, or some elegant spot in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Or if she's scientifically minded, the Gems & Minerals exhibit in the Museum of Natural History.

Good luck to you and your to-be!

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Hmm... Interesting. I like the Egypt idea, but she lived in NY for a year and since we have a gazillion museums here in Chicago, I don't see her being to interested in spending the one day alone together at a museum. However, the Toys R Us thing is kinda cool. I am a total goof ball (idiot) and it would definitely catch her off guard. Where is that store located? We are staying in Mid-town Manhattan. Also, what about the other toy store, FAO Schwartz? Where are they as that could work too?

Any and all ideas are welcome and appreciated. Keep 'em comin. Nothing is too cheesy for me.
tongue.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Okay, classic corny/mushy? Take her to tea at the Plaza.

wonderwoman1114

Rough_Rock
Perfect!! Toys r us is located right smack in the middle of times square. Im not too keen on FAO shwartz though. If I think of anything else, I'll keep you posted!!

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
What does everyone think about proposing in the hotel room as a contingency if we wake and it is raining, etc? We check out on Sunday by Noon (that is checkout time, I am not opposed to calling down and requesting a late checkout, etc.) But even so, Noon is plenty of time. Anyways... If I wake and see it is raining and/or I already know the forecast is for rain all day, what about ordering room service and simply catching her off guard that way? I wouldn't set it up to have the ring on the room service tray or anything like that, I would simply use that (room service) as a distraction, etc. We are staying at the Grand Fitzpatrick in Midtown Manhattan. This is where the wedding is, so I honestly don't know how nice or (not nice) the hotel is, nor do I know if they have room service (easy to find out though). I think it was rated fairly well when I looked around online a few weeks ago. Anyone have any additional thoughts on something like this? Oh yeah! One more thing... I have a client who is a amateur magician and my gf and I both get a kick out of cheesy magic... If I do this in the hotel room, what about getting some "flare paper" or whatever its called, where I would have the paper in my hand (along with the ring tucked in my hand as well) and when lighting a candle, pretend that my hand bursts into flames (it goes out in less than a second, so nothing to scary) and then produce the ring? Wow, I am sounding really cheese like now, aren't I? Any other thoughts or suggestions for something like this? THANKS!!!!
love.gif

wonderwoman1114

Rough_Rock
Proposing in the hotel room? Not very romantic.... I just dont see myself waking up and having morning breath only to order room service with a side order of "will you marry me". I like the whole magic thing though. Now that would be great!! But we need to find the perfect indoor spot for you to do that.
rolleyes.gif

wonderwoman1114

Rough_Rock
Oh forgot to mention, you should scratch out the whole horse and carriage idea. I hope you'll take my word for it that the ride is NOT a breath of fresh air, if you know what I mean.

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
Since you are staying at the Grand Fitzpatrick, how about proposing in Grand Central Station, directly across from your hotel. It's a grand space and something you will both remember.
wavey.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/4/2003 2:20:58 PM wonderwoman1114 wrote:

Oh forgot to mention, you should scratch out the whole horse and carriage idea. I hope you'll take my word for it that the ride is NOT a breath of fresh air, if you know what I mean.

----------------
HAAAAAAA ha ha! So true!

I am getting married in a public park (right on the ocean, has a gorgeous rose garden). We don't really want a limo, so I thought a horse/carriage ride in the park after the ceremony would be delightful.

I thought it was the perfect idea.....for about two minutes, when I then recalled the Seinfeld episode with Kramer and the Beefy Mac and the "wind", and changed my mind! Horse poop is NOT romantic.

hehheeeeee

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Okay... Thanks for the suggestions. It's been years since I have been on a horse and buggy ride, so honestly cannot recall if it smelled like roses or not.
2.gif

So the Grand Central thing, interesting idea. I do also plan to be "ready" to propose at any point (on Sunday only) that seems perfect.

Now, along with the idea of proposing in the hotel room... What about doing it on Saturday night or early SUnday morning (after we get back to the room from the wedding)? There won't be any morning breath at all. We will be dressed up and likely in good moods (I've never seen her in a bad mood in 17 months). Or walking around the area outdoors after the wedding, etc, assuming it is nice out. How's the area to be walking around aimlessly?

This is all of course only something for me to be concerned with if the weather on Sunday is not going to cooperate with my Gondola ride plans. Oh yeah, with that, anyone been on the Gondola ride there or in venice (as they are supposedly the same design of boat)? I ask because I would like to get on one knee to propose, but that would kind of all be a wasted effort if doing so will tip the boat over.
11.gif

Okay... My mind is going 12 million miles per hour. I want to have everything planned down to a tee in my head and ready for anything. But I am going to go insane.

I am still worried about the best way to bring the ring with to NY through security at O'Hare airport! I've read a number of the strings on here that says the plat ring itself likely will NOT set off the metal detector, but should I keep the ring on me, in my carry-on, somewhere else?

errrr.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Okay... Thanks for the suggestions. It's been years since I have been on a horse and buggy ride, so honestly cannot recall if it smelled like roses or not.
2.gif

So the Grand Central thing, interesting idea. I do also plan to be "ready" to propose at any point (on Sunday only) that seems perfect.

Now, along with the idea of proposing in the hotel room... What about doing it on Saturday night or early SUnday morning (after we get back to the room from the wedding)? There won't be any morning breath at all. We will be dressed up and likely in good moods (I've never seen her in a bad mood in 17 months). Or walking around the area outdoors after the wedding, etc, assuming it is nice out. How's the area to be walking around aimlessly?

This is all of course only something for me to be concerned with if the weather on Sunday is not going to cooperate with my Gondola ride plans. Oh yeah, with that, anyone been on the Gondola ride there or in venice (as they are supposedly the same design of boat)? I ask because I would like to get on one knee to propose, but that would kind of all be a wasted effort if doing so will tip the boat over.
11.gif

Okay... My mind is going 12 million miles per hour. I want to have everything planned down to a tee in my head and ready for anything. But I am going to go insane.

I am still worried about the best way to bring the ring with to NY through security at O'Hare airport! I've read a number of the strings on here that says the plat ring itself likely will NOT set off the metal detector, but should I keep the ring on me, in my carry-on, somewhere else?

errrr.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My two cents: Weathermen can be wrong......especially when it's important to you.

Hence, I wouldn't jump the gun on Sat. nite.....if you do, you're sure to get a beautiful Sunny day on Sunday and you'll be kicking yourself.

Wait until Sunday....and if your gondola ride gets rained out, then choose something else. But I'd agree with others previously.....I like the toy store idea.

In fact, if you could alter one of those magic 8-balls.....the mini ones, to say "will you marry me?", you could tie it in at the toy store.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The Central Park lake has gondolas like the ones in Venice, as well as do-it-yourself rowboats. I'm not sure, but I think if you're in a gondola, there might be an gondolier there with you to row the thing around. So it won't be just you and your sweetie. (Better check on this to make sure.) If so, you can probably go down on one knee more easily in a gondola than in a rowboat because you won't be responsible for the oars.

I'm not sure I would, though. Those boats are pretty tippy, and you don't want to drop the ring. I was in Central Park the other week when some scientists went down to the bottom of the lake in scuba gear to see what's living down there. I watched them drag out a rusty trash can, a snapping turtle, and all sorts of muddy gunk. If you drop your ring, the only one likely to wear it in the next few centuries will be the turtle.

As far as strolling around midtown Manhattan near Grand Central on a Saturday night--it's likely to be pretty boring and deserted. You might like to take a cab or subway down to Greenwich Village, the East Village, Chelsea, Soho, or Tribeca instead.

Don't worry about the ring setting off the security alarms at the airport. I wear my platinum wedding band and heirloom diamond ring through those things all the time and never set them off.

I'm not so crazy about the idea of proposing in Toys R Us--why bother proposing in New York if you're just going to do it in a chain you can find in any mall? But if that would please you & your sweetie, go for it.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
FAO is a playground for all ages. You could try to get the giant floor piano to somehow play "Here comes the bride".

Of course no one will like this........but - Ground Zero. I could not think of something more powerful. Just going there puts life in perpective. Priorities become clear. Resolve becomes steel. O.K. - I tend to be more serious than others.

You could always walk around for the right moment. New York is full of great places. NY has a certain energy that other cities simply do not have.

Good luck & have some fun! And more importantly, report back w/ pics & details!

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Okay... Just read this article on MSNBC.com and now I am stressed more on how to pack the ring so as to not draw attention to it for closer inspection, hence ruining the surprise and causing me to drop to one knee in front of everyone at O'Hare to propose. I really do not want that to happen.

Any thoughts or advice on how to best pack? Anyone who has packed a ring with the box? Anyone who works for an airline, airport or some secret government agency that can provide some advice?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/948269.asp?0cv=CA01

NewbieHere

Rough_Rock
My niece brought the ring pinned inside her clothing. She went through security without a hitch.

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
Hey SoonToBe,

Having just done this (as you know), I just put the ring in the diamond paper the diamond came in and put it in my front pocket. It DID NOT set off the airport security. On our way back, the ring did not set off the detector even when worn on my fiancee's hand.

All you really ought to be concerned about is making sure you have nothing else that will set it off. On the way back I decided to be cavalier and not take off my shoes. That earned me the right to wait in a little security area for 5 minutes and then be given the triple over with the wand. That's probably what you want to avoid. So if I were you I'd wear no other jewelry, no belt, no watch, take off your shoes and have no metal of any kind in your pockets (other than the ring).

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
This site rocks (pun not intended)!!! This place has kept me sane (well, I haven't been diagnosed otherwise yet).
eek.gif
Every little thing I start analyzing, over analyzing and obsessing about is put to calm rest by the people here. I honestly probably would have gone crazy if it were not for this site.

Anyways... All the thoughts, comments, ideas and suggestions are much appreciated. I am thinking that I will forego the ring box and just carry the ring in the tissue paper through airport security. I think that will be best. I actually tried and it fits into my wallet fairly well. I am just concerned with bending the setting or the prongs or something else, so I think if I did that, it would be while walking only.

Anyways... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! To all who have helped. I am getting closer to this and am continuing to watch the weather in NY. If indeed it looks like rain, I still am not sure what I will do except improvise perhaps with some of the great ideas offered.

THANKS!!!

love.gif
loopy.gif
wink2.gif
10.gif
3.gif

smaggard

Rough_Rock
Well I was thinking about the horse and carriage in Central Park idea for myself this weekend, but never thought about the odor situation...the Seinfeld episode is now too fresh
9.gif
10.gif

I wonder how bad it is??
I'm also thinking of the Oak Bar at the Plaza...prior to dinner Saturday night. Not sure I want to do it at a restaraunt as it's too busy and I'd like to avoid any applause or other people's involvement (not big on lots of attention)...soooo....I'm with you Soontobe...stressed!!!!
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/5/2003 12:34:27 PM smaggard wrote:

I'm also thinking of the Oak Bar at the Plaza...prior to dinner Saturday night. Not sure I want to do it at a restaraunt as it's too busy and I'd like to avoid any applause or other people's involvement (not big on lots of attention)...soooo....I'm with you Soontobe...stressed!!!!
9.gif

----------------

Ahh! The Oak Bar - forgot about that one. Yeah, early in the evening, it's not crowded & a great space w/ rich decor. ...dark, quiet & romantic. Albeit expensive, the steaks are great. We throughly enjoyed ourselves & felt like we were in the first part of the century. It did become crowded later though.

smaggard

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/5/2003 4:34:12 PM fire&ice wrote:
Ahh! The Oak Bar - forgot about that one. Yeah, early in the evening, it's not crowded & a great space w/ rich decor. ...dark, quiet & romantic.
----------------

Thanks for the input. Glad to hear it isn't packed early, we're having dinner somewhere else and just thought that may be a laid back time/place. Sounds even better now
10.gif

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Again, great info and I am intrigued about the Oak Room. I will look them up on the web. Curious though... Here in Chicago, there is a web site in conjunction with the Chicago Tribune called Metromix at http://www.metromix.com. On which, you can search for all sorts of things in Chicagoland, including restaurants. You can search by cuisine, atmosphere, etc. It also gives some background on most places.

Any sites that offer this for NY, NY?

THANKS!
4.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I've found that a little rain can be quite romantic, especially if you are prepared with an umbrella. Then the next time rain makes you miserable you will have something sweet to remember.
love.gif
I know, I know, kind of goofy, but that's just me. Some of my fondest memories were in the rain.
9.gif
Not sure about a gondola ride though...and, I've never had NY rain, so you'll have to play that one by ear I guess.

I can't wait to see how this unfolds. Please let us know & good luck

wonderwoman1114

Rough_Rock
If your looking for some restaurant suggestions I would visit Zagat's website (or get the little book, it's very handy) or you can try cityscape.com for restaurant reviews.
lickout.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/5/2003 10:24
6.gif
9 PM smaggard wrote:

Thanks for the input. Glad to hear it isn't packed early, we're having dinner somewhere else and just thought that may be a laid back time/place. Sounds even better now
10.gif

----------------

I'm trying to recall as it has been a few years. We don't usually go for the Plaza type NY - we stay more uptown in the residential section. But, the Oak Room *is* someplace special. They have two areas - the bar & the eating area. The eating area is very intimate & quiet. I don't know if they let you sit there unless you have dinner. It is worth inquiring. The bar can be very crowded on say Fri night around 5:30.

That said, there should be plenty of information - historical & practical on the Plaza Oak Room. I'm experiencing CRS disease at the moment; but, the room was design by a very prominent over the top Architect w/ a sordid history - something like - killed very young by a jilted lover or jealous husband. I'm not into touristy places; but, the Oak Room is very cool & a NY type place.

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Oak Room:

http://www.fairmont.com/FA/en/CDA/Home/Hotels/Facilities/CDRestaurantDetail/0,2983,facility%25255Fcode%253DREST%252B%2526property%25255Fcd%253DPLZ%2526property%25255Fseq%253D100122%2526facility%25255Fseq%253D1005710,00.html

Bummer... They are closed on Sunday's.
15.gif

Any other suggestions for my indoor alternative (should it be necessary)? Someplace that will allow us some privacy so when I propose it is not a huge spectacle?

I tried Zagat's too and I now remember why I didn't go there to begin with... You have to be a member, which I am not. I will try Cityscape though. I am not opposed to rain myself entirely either... However, the Gondoleer may be as they indicate "weather permitting" when making reservations. So they likely won't allow us to go if it is raining. But we'll see.

wacko.gif
tongue.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
One thing to consider is that (provided you go to an NY place, i.e. not touristy) NY's have seen it all & tend to mind their business. Also, since space is a premium, the restaurants tend to be small.

I'll put my thinking cap on. Although, again it's been a while, the Pierre Hotel has a very nice bar - real NY gem. Not the "finest" of places, but the Algonquin Hotel of the famed "Round Table" is *rich* with history. You could recite something from a "member" of the famous "round table" as you propose. Unfortunately, Sunday is not a bustling time in NY. Many restaurants are closed. I think their Oak Room (at least I think their's is called that also) is open for brunch. I don't know about where or when they serve cocktails.

You could take her to the room that the reception was held in the night before. And say something like, "don't you wish it was us yesterday." "Well it can be" - and do the down on your knee thing.

Surely, there are Islanders of Manhattan out there to give you ideas!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/6/2003 2:34:14 PM fire&ice wrote:

You could take her to the room that the reception was held in the night before. And say something like, "don't you wish it was us yesterday." "Well it can be" - and do the down on your knee thing.

----------------

Are they getting married there? If not, perhaps a quick trip where the actually ceromony took place.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results