shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposing in Italy or Paris?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RITZ

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. This is my first post here.

I came across this site while looking for info on buying diamond engagement rings. Only started this past week on learning about diamonds and find everything a bit overwhelming.

Right now all I know is that I want to marry my gf and have been fortunate enough to start planning a trip to Italy and Paris next year along with a group of friends. At this point I''ve entertained thoughts of proposing to her while in Venice or Paris in front of a few of our best friends. Just wondering what are you''re thoughts.

As far as ring shopping I''ll post that in another topic area.

Keef

Rough_Rock
I'm off to Venice this time next week to celebrate 10 years of being with my gf (yes, I know its a long time, and yes, I am going to propose soon!!!). I have heard that Vencie is very romantic and perfect for couples, but not so good for groups of friends. I know people who have gone as a group having come back saying "I should have gone with just my partner". I know on the other hand that Paris is perfect for both. Having gone on different ocassions with just my gf and a group of friends, there is so much there, and it is still very romantic. I would say a perfect spot would be in front of the Sacre Coeur, or perhaps the top of "le Tour Eiffel".

niki

Rough_Rock
Venice is beautiful, smaller than Paris, so I would say more romantic (my opinion). If you are travelling throughout Italy, I would definately suggest checking out the "Cinque Terre". It is an area on the western coast of Italy. Basically it consists of 5 small fishing towns. The best part is you can hike between all of them. The scenery is breathtaking. Portofino is another small town near there that is simply gorgeous and well worth the trip. Also another very romantic place. Good luck and have fun on your trip!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Ritz-

Buying a first diamond (if one has never studied them) can be quite overwhelming. Stick around and learn more. You will soon be surprised that there was ever a time you didn't know diamonds.

I like Paris and Venice...and many other places in Iraly and France! I think you could pick a great place in either Venice or Paris, depending on what you and your girlfriend find special. (If you can think of special interests you share -or that she has- you might think of the perfect place.)

Are you sure you want to do this in front of friends? For me it was a personal experience (as in two was company, more would have been a crowd ;-)).

If you share a love for a particular artist or the Catholic or Jewish religion or a particular food perhaps we could help you decide on the perfect place in front of a painting or in a cathedral or synagogue or in a restaurant.

(Protestant churches, while available, are in short supply.)

Best of luck!

read.gif

RITZ

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm really not sure yet as to where I'm going to propose. I'm not worried about having close friends with us on the trip. I'll definitely find some quiet time with her away from everyone else and take advantage of the romance that Paris or Italy has to offer.

Right now is a weird time in my life, I've never felt this way about anyone before in my life and knowing that in less than a year from now I'm going to propose to her. Sometimes it's to keep this secret from her as I wake up next to her every morning.

I never thought I would be going on a trip to Europe, also proposing to her at the same time. I couldn't resist this special and possibly once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'm very thankful to find this site in my efforts to find her the perfect e-ring and will definitely take every opportunity to listen & learn.

Dukegirl

Rough_Rock
Almost 6 years ago I did a semester abroad in Paris. *LOVE* that city! Always have. Venice is also incredible, although in terms of Italy, I am more partial to Tuscanny.

Anyway, the semester I was there, my roommate was a girl whose boyfriend was freindly with my then-boyfriend. When I told my then-boyfriend that she was my roommate, he let me in on the secret that her boyfriend was planning to fly to Paris to propose.

Anyway, the way he did it was this (with some help from her girlfriends, of course!):

Her birthday was 2 days after Armistice Day, so there was a long weekend. Her best friend was studying in scotland for the sesmter and "decided" to come visit Angie (my roommate) for her birthday. Angie was all excited that her best friend was coming and one of our friends suggested that we all go out to lunch for Angie's birthday since Ashley was in town. We all knew the plans, but acted as though this was spontaneous. We arrived at the Metro stop (Il de la Cite) and the girl who "arranged" the lunch said she had found the perfect restaurant. Oh gee...they just happened to have a table set for 10!
2.gif

Anyway, when we were all seated I told Angie that we would have to blindfold her to give her a present. She began to get a little suspicious when we blindfolded her with her grandmother's scarf, which she had given to her boyfriend before she left for Europe. We then all began to sing Happy Birthday, which was the cue.

Unbeknownst to Angie, her boyfriend was hiding downstairs in the restaurant. He came upstairs and starting playing (on the guitar) and singing a song he had written for her. Of course, we were all just dying with the sheer beauty of it all! He then stood behind her, and whispered into her favorite Bible verse (1 Corin. 13--Love is patient, love is kind...) in French! (We had taught him, of course.)

By this point, she is nearly in tears with joy. She takes off the blindfold and is greeted with a kiss. He then hands the guitar to one of our friends and asks her to dance. She still has no clue he is about to propose...she just thinks he came for her birthday as a nice surprise!

We hit play on a tape player that just *happened* to be located right at the table. It was the same song he had been singing and the two of them began to dance in the middle of the restaurant, with her girlfriends looking on. He then got down on one knee and proposed. Of course she said YES!

That night they took a dinner cruise on the Seine.

*sigh* I love telling that story!

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
That's so amazing, it sounds like something that only gets pulled off in the movies. WOW. I loved it.

MARIAV75

Rough_Rock
My fiance just proposed to me in Cinque Terre!!! Isnt it beautiful there????? I LOVE The Lugarian Coast.. the most beautfiul place in Italy is well- EVERWHERE!!!
Venice is very romantic.. we also headed to Lake Como (Bellagio).. that is very romantic as well..
I think, personally.... Piazza San Marco at night.. after dinner... how romantic!!!!!!
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results