shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal ideas..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Xedoc

Rough_Rock
I came across these proposal forums and started kicking around possible ideas if the time comes with the one I''m with. Although we''ve only been together a short while, I like to be prepared and think about what the future may bring. If I truly feel she''s the one for me, I''m not waiting years to propose. So far, she''s opened my eyes to a world I could never return from - everything just feels "right" - which is why I''ve already started designing a ring. It could come as soon as the 6 month mark.

We both have emotional investment in military history, and I''ve been to Hawaii & Pearl Harbor when I was 8 years old. She''s never been to the islands. She loves beaches, nature, tropics, beauty.. what lady doesn''t? Hawaii seems perfect for a proposal spot and she''s already said she''d love to go. :)

The idea is to have her take a long weekend off work in January or possibly February (after we''ve had a chance to meet a bunch of family during the holidays) but give her the impression we''re only headed south to the Florida Keys. Basically just make her think a tropical resort island in the US south of us - and we''re already in Florida. So I book a 4-5 day trip to Hawaii in the winter, and on Christmas give her something nice.. a Coach purse or something of that like, but the Hawaii tickets are inside. That way she''s got an immediate Christmas gift for her, and the vacation for both of us. Gives me some time to get a chance to ask for her parents permission to marry her before the trip (they live 1000 miles away so a quick visit isn''t an option).

The big question then is the proposal.. I''d definitely want it to be on the first full day there, so we can experience the trip in a whole new light as an engaged couple.
A few ideas..
- The first morning there, climb the ~760'' of the ancient volcano rim, Diamond Head, and propose at the lookout over the island at sunrise. I like this idea the most for a few reasons.. the beauty of sunrise overseeing the Pacific beaches, the chance to see humpback whales in the ocean during the winter, the mountains to the north, and Honolulu. The main downsides are the 45 minute climb in the dark before sunrise, we''re not likely to be looking our best at the summit, and the likelihood that we won''t be alone since it is a national park path & lookout post, and the gate doesn''t open till 6am (no way around the gate to get in either). I suppose a plus is that it''s not a couple hour drive back to civilization/hotel once we decide to leave..
- Take a boat to an uninhabited island for a few hours - a picnic alone on the beach.. just the two of us in the world. Or one of the black sand beaches...
- Sunset along one of many mountain ridges overlooking the island.. another beautiful moment, but I think I''d prefer a sunrise to have the whole day ahead of us to enjoy it. Downside being the time it takes to travel to this location.. but maybe there''s a spot close to Honolulu that would work.
- At/under one of the many waterfalls.. Oahu doesn''t seem to have much of the style of waterfall I''m looking for, so that''ll likely leave the Big Island or Maui as the main options here. The Big Island seems to have more accessible waterfalls, especially those where you can get close to the bottom of the falls.
- Near one of the volcanoes, likely Kilauea due to activity and lava flow.. again, the Big Island is a requirement.

I''m leaning toward Diamond Head for a few reasons:
- On Oahu, which keeps the cost & travel time of the trip down due to flight into Honolulu and staying at one hotel in that city the whole time. Don''t want to waste time bouncing between islands and booking multiple hotels on a 4-5 day stay.
- Pearl Harbor is also on Oahu, which has some emotional/history/family significance for both of us.
- Easy to fly into Honolulu, collapse at the hotel, be jet lagged well enough to have no problem waking up at 4:30am to start the 6am climb before the 7am sunrise.
- Fantastic sunrise view of Honolulu, Waikiki beach, the mountains, etc. Could incorporate the whole "beautiful sunrise / beginning of a beautiful chapter in life" theme..
- What better name for a place to propose than "Diamond Head?" :)

..I''ll just need to bring a backpack of supplies for both of us to clean up a bit for our moment at the top.. that''s really my biggest worry about this one - that even with the beautiful view, we''ll both likely be looking like we ran a marathon. Although on any other day I''d love the hike, for a proposal I really wish there''d be some form of transportation. I may just have to find another sunrise spot on the island... any ideas?

Xedoc

Rough_Rock
Okay, new additional option:
Before sunrise, drive east to the Makapu''u Lighthouse Trail. A very easy 2 mile hike to the lighthouse reveals a stunning view to the east for a sunrise cresting the Pacific with small islands just off the coast and Molokai in the distance. Likely more secluded spots than Diamond Head, and the far easier hike will leave us in a much more romantic mood for proposal & pictures. Then drive a few miles up the coast to Kailua to visit Lanikai beach to relax and enjoy the rest of the day.

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
Hello, Xedoc
35.gif

You've written one of the most beautiful declarations of love that I've ever read:

"So far, she's opened my eyes to a world I could never return from..."

What a touching sentiment *sigh* Definitely include that when you ask your love to marry you.

I can't offer much to elaborate on your already wonderful idea's. I think you're a man with a plan, and have things well under control *wink*

I just want to wish you the best, and hope that all your dreams come true
36.gif

~Allyson

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Wow....
23.gif

I couldn''t improve on that. It''s perfect. I pick option 1, for sure.
You are going to pull off the best proposal idea I''ve heard in a long time.
36.gif

Xedoc

Rough_Rock
Thanks Vancity & kribbie,
I''m glad I''ve got a few months to fine-tune these plans. I''m heavily leaning towards the lighthouse idea now. While she likes being active, I think the more personal and likely private setting of the Makapu''u Lighthouse seems to be the best bet. Since there''s no gate limiting entry, we could arrive earlier and not have to rush to make it to the sunrise, therefore being in a far less sweaty situation when the proposal comes. Also, apparently Diamond Head has a VERY small lookout and a much higher attendance, so privacy is likely not going to happen - privacy is something I''d heavily prefer, and I''d bet she would too. The lighthouse spot is more open, so even if other people are there, it''d be easy to find a more secluded area to enjoy the sunrise alone together.

The privacy would be nice to spend some time there without interruptions.. allowing me to sneak along some champagne, flutes, strawberries, chocolates.. and anything else that comes to mind to celebrate the event... ;-)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
When you pull this off, I want pictures.

I don''t know a woman on this planet that wouldn''t absolutely die for either proposal, but I do like the idea of the lighthouse better. Less sweaty = less chance of swelling = better chance that the ring will fit!
9.gif

Plus, then she can hike Diamond Head WITH her sparkly!
10.gif

Best of luck to you!
(And for the record...x-refing from the LIW thread...I would have said yes ANY time with this kind of proposal!
2.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results