shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal Idea---Tell me how you really feel.

thelofproject

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I would love some opinions on a proposal I have been thinking of for my GF. I am starting a little early because I haven't bought the ring yet but me and my GF are huge planners. I love to make sure everything is planned out “if you fail to make a plan, you plan to fail”. So to give you a little of a history on us; we have been dating for several years now and my girlfriend loves to sing along with songs, in the car, while watching tv, in the shower, anywhere. Me however, will NEVER,EVER, EVER want to sing--why subject people to that right? It has become a joke that I will not sing or even mouth words of songs because I am very shy. The theme of this proposal ( yes...there is a theme) is a “ leap of faith”. I will say that me and my girlfriend would not have been a couple you would have picked to end up together and I would like to think that she took a leap of faith on me and gave me a chance and I was lucky enough to make her fall in love with me.....well back to the proposal, I was thinking about playing our song on the piano and attempting to sing for her. I have no musical talent nor can I sing at all. I am hoping that she will see all the time I took to learn how to play the piano and that I am taking a “leap of faith” on the idea of singing to her that she will hopefully find this endearing and not want to jump off the roof from my horrible singing voice.

To give you a visual of the location/setup......

I am planning to say there is a formal work event in the city and we have to go to because my boss is being awarded for 30 plus years in the industry....yada yada yada. This will give us the excuse to be dressed up and because it’s a formal work event it will be in the evening. I will take her to a hotel that I will say we have to meet with my team and my boss and that we will be arriving at the event together, but really, I will rent out the rooftop suite that has a large patio that overlooks the city and the bay and I will have a piano on the patio. I am planning to have string lights that goes over the patio and the area lit with candles surrounded with her favorite flowers--peonies. I am hoping the lights and the candles will give the area a great glow. I will attempt to play and sing our song for her. After the proposal I was thinking why waste being dressed up, so I would have our family waiting for us at a nice restaurant and we would celebrate a small intimate dinner with our immediate family together (they have all been waiting for this engagement).

I appreciate you all reading this and I apologize if it's too long. I am hoping to get honest and candid feedback on my idea. Let me know if this is too cliche or corny. Would you ladies really mind if I didn’t sound like Usher or Justin Timberlake and that my attempt is romantic enough to say “yes” anyway? Thanks in advance!

Sun-Shine

Rough_Rock
I think you should do what is in your heart. Learning a song on the piano (if you don't already play) can be challenging, and of course you will be nervous, so I could see this being a bumbling disaster... That being said, I do think its romantic, and the effort is what counts. I'd also make sure you know that having family around after the proposal is what she wants. For me that would be a HUGE NO NO. My family and I are incredibly close, but that moment is something I want to savour with him, and him alone. So of course different strokes for different folks, and you know her better than anyone so follow your heart :) Congrats on the upcoming engagement!

thelofproject

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your input. Her and her family is very close so I should figure out weather of not she would want to share this with them. I appreciate you post, thank you so much.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Sun-Shine|1338173106|3204909 said:
I think you should do what is in your heart. Learning a song on the piano (if you don't already play) can be challenging, and of course you will be nervous, so I could see this being a bumbling disaster... That being said, I do think its romantic, and the effort is what counts. I'd also make sure you know that having family around after the proposal is what she wants. For me that would be a HUGE NO NO. My family and I are incredibly close, but that moment is something I want to savour with him, and him alone. So of course different strokes for different folks, and you know her better than anyone so follow your heart :) Congrats on the upcoming engagement!

I totally agree with this! It sounds cute and like something she would appreciate since it is part of a little private joke between the two of you. I also agree about making sure she would want to see her family right away. Maybe the next morning for a special brunch and the two of you get a special dinner?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds very sweet but it also sounds very ambitious! Learning to play an instrument and sing,when you are typically a shy person, just might be a bit overwhelming to conquer 3 hurdles all at once!

If you had to go for a back up plan, what would also mean a lot to the two of you and display your devotion, without overwhelming you with having to secretly learn a new skill???

I'd also vote for keeping it a private engagement not a very public one. (although that lip dub "I want to Marry You" proposal was AWESOME!!)

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
How are you going to get a piano on the patio? (I assume you already have it planned out, but I am dying to know!)

thelofproject

Rough_Rock
The suite has a really big patio; I believe they double it as a room and rent it out for social gatherings because it looks like it can fit 20-25 people comfortably on the patio. They have patio couches and chairs also. As for the piano, I can rent one and have it brought to the room.

thelofproject

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. Its great to have everyone giving their feedback and it helps having someone from the outside looking in. I agree that it is a very ambitious proposal and the "bumbling disaster" is definitely my worst nightmare scenario. I will keep working on a plan B that may be less ambitious but more sensible. Again thank you to everyone for the posts.

Sun-Shine

Rough_Rock
Keep us posted!! And I don't think you can go wrong with a proposal to be truthful. We think you boys are the best no matter what!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results