shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal Idea - New York!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fishboy

Rough_Rock
I know I know, you all must be thinking... "There are TONS of ideas already out there on the Internet about how to propose in New York! Why doesn''t this guy just check those places out?"

Well, my situation is a bit different. My girlfriend will be in New York on April 3 visiting a friend, and I''m "supposed" to be in Colorado that weekend. However, I will be flying to New York on April 1 and will surprise her on the 3rd by asking her to marry me. This is where I need some help. All those ideas about the gondola rides and carriage rides through Central Park won''t work since I won''t be with her before I propose. I need to figure out an interesting way of surprising her, and just knocking on her friend''s door won''t cut it.
1.gif

Right now what I have briefly thought of doing is setting up a little picnic in Central Park. On the morning of the 3rd, our friend will take my girlfriend through the park, and I''ll be there waiting for her.
1.gif
I''ll propose and then enjoy the picnic together...
appl.gif

So... what does everyone think? Does anyone have any other ideas that I could do to surprise her?

Thanks!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Outdoors in early April is unreliable. It might be gorgeous weather--but it could be pouring rain, or sleet, or snow. (We're having a huge snowstorm right now.) I would have an indoor backup plan if I were you.

What sorts of things does she like to do? Could you surprise her at one of our dozens of wonderful museums? At a concert or play? Maybe buy two tickets, have the friend whom she's visiting tell her to meet her at the theater, and show up yourself instead, so when she gets to her seat, there you are waiting?

If the weather's good, the Brooklyn Bridge is very romantic. There are also lots of smaller, more intimate parks. The Frick museum is very romantic, small but packed full of old master paitnings, with a lovely indoor garden. If her visit includes a Friday night, the Metropolitan Museum is open late in the evening, with drinks & chamber music. Is she a book lover? Another absolutely gorgeous indoor setting is the New York Public Library at 42nd Street and 5th avenue. I'm not kidding, it's magnificent. You could propose in the vast marble lobby, or in the opulent Main Reading Room--just make sure to whisper when you do it.

holdendog

Rough_Rock
I think what you should do, is not see her until you propose. Here's what I'd do, I'd have your friend tell her that she has something to do on Friday the 2nd or Saturday the 3rd and to meet for lunch or dinner somewhere at a certain time. Then you have a reservation for your girlfriend and you meet her there without the friend so it's just the two of you.

Here's a list of romantic restaurants for you... http://newyork.citysearch.com/best/results/8511/

I'd also take your girlfriend to a hotel that night, who wants to be at a friend's house that night.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
By the way, if you're looking for restaurant advice in NYC (and lots of other places, too), there's nothing better than Chowhound:

http://chowhound.com/boards/manhat/manhat.html

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a cute one for you:
Have the friend pitch the idea to order take out. They could then order (not really, but at least pretend to place the call). You wait a half hour or so, knock on the door, and be on one knee in the hallway. After the proposal, obligatory phone calls, etc., have reservations made at a nice place and take her to dinner.
I also really like the library idea - but your girlfriend would have to stifle the surprise - and if she's anything like me, would be jumping up and down yelling yes! yes! yes! yes!
love.gif

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
When I went to NYC, I fell in love with Time Square. There is a huge Toys R' Us there right in the middle of it. I wonder if you could arrange for your friend to bring her to that store. Maybe you could be waiting somplace for her. There is a giant dinosaur right in the middle, you could hide behind him for sure. You could even arrange for a manager to have you on the intercom or something. Maybe you could page her to the desk and be there waiting when she comes.

If that is too silly for you, maybe she could be in the middle of Times Square. When she is staring at all the signs, you could tap her on the shoulder and when she turned around, you could be down on one knee.

Whatever you choose, good luck and congrats!

-Sarah
1.gif

honeynut

Shiny_Rock
... just make sure you know if she is a public or private proposal preferring person!

kleggett

Rough_Rock
they are about to reopen the statue of liberty
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results