shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal idea - is it enough?

woot

Rough_Rock
Need some feedback on a proposal idea.

Background: Our first date was at a Japanese restaurant. With our meals I ordered Sake for two - expecting that she would have a drink with me. She didn't. At this point we had only really known each other for about 15 minutes. She was nervous about drinking as she gets drunk extremely easily. I ended up drinking sake by myself. It felt weird at the time, but nowadays when we reminisce about our first date I like to (jokingly) remind her of how cruel she was to make me drink sake by myself. Apart from Sake incident the rest of the first date (and the 3 years to follow) were a huge success – I couldn't be happier.

The plan: We are going on holidays in a couple of weeks. I have secretly made arrangements with a Japanese restaurant near our hotel. When we go there for dinner I will casually remind her of our first date, and make her promise to have a sake with me this time. The waiter will serve us the sake in a “special” sake set. Written on the inside rim of the first cup is the message: “Thanks for sharing a Sake with me :)”. Inside the second cup is the message: “Now will u share the rest of your life with me?” When she drinks the sake she will notice the message in the first cup. She will then want to see what is written in the second cup. After she reads it, I propose.

That's the plan at the moment, but I am starting to question whether it is enough. Seems a little inadequate after reading a number of posts about more extravagant proposals. There are some other things I could do to try make the night more special.. have a dozen roses waiting for her back at the hotel on our return, have a private boat take us to another location for desert afterwards, etc. But they don't really add anything to the surprise-factor of the special moment.

Thoughts? Is it enough?

woot

Rough_Rock
My other idea was to take her to a sushi train and surprise her when the ring comes past on the sushi train conveyor belt. But I've not found a nice sushi train restaurant that is willing to help with this. Plus it is even more public than the first idea and I would have preferred something more private.

Kawfee

Rough_Rock
I also had my first date with my gf at a Japanese restaurant but I know her very well where she isn't the type of person who would want me to propose at a restaurant...unless it was like at the #1 michelin star restaurant (ha...but that's my gf for you).

I'm in the same dilemma as you...what is perfect? what is too little? what is too much? I wanted to fly to Paris on her girls trip to surprise her...is that too much, too little, etc...? In the end, you have to think why she's marrying you...she should be marrying you for you and not the proposal.

I can only say, you should know your gf enough to know what she considers important. To me, you've put thought into it, you put time and effort into getting the restaurant to help you out, and it's personalized enough to where strangers (and also her family and friends) will think the proposal was a very thoughtful and lovely idea.

Most PS members will tell you that she should be marrying you for YOU and nothing else...because that's what they've told me countless times.

In my opinion, I would choose the sake cup idea. It tells a story, it's sentimental...and I think it's very romantic.

Hope that helps and best wishes Woot!

Stan

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think your idea is cute, as long as she doesn't mind that you're proposing to her in a public place. I know it may seem like it's not enough compared to other proposal stories but I think your plan holds a special memory for both of you. I think you should move forward with it. As for the sushi train plan, I say no only because your ring will pass many customers before it gets to you. Good luck!

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Like the other folks said, I think it could be a cute idea if she's okay with it being public. Does she remember the original sake incident? Does she remember it fondly and treasure it as a sign of your love and relationship? Because it's a lot riding on something if she goes, "I don't get it." And if you have to gently remind her at the start of the "moment" it might not have that significance you'd love to have.

I like how Kawfee put it: she's marrying you, not the proposal. A proposal is not just a symbol of what has been, but what will be. I think that's kind of the idea you're going for, with the bit about drinking with you and sharing an experience together.

I do agree that one of the bigger "you'd better be sure" elements is whether it's public. What if it's very emotional for her? (Very well might be, and arguably should be!) Now she's in a restaurant where she might not feel comfortable expressing herself. Something to consider.

Of course, a lot of this is moot if it's something you already know she would love. You know her better than we do! :lol:

Looking forward to hearing back from you. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results