shape
carat
color
clarity

Proportion help needed...engagement ring stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just heard from WF and I now have a picture of my diamond with the pear side stones (for my engagement ring). Because this is a picture and it''s larger than the stones actually are, it''s hard for me to tell if the proportion looks...what''s the word? Appropriate? My center diamond is .92 and the total carat weight is .40 (.20 on each side). I don''t want to overwhelm the center stone and at first glance, I thought these pears might. If this were your ring, what would you do? Say "go for it," or "the side stones look too _____________" ? Any help is greatly appreciated! TIA!

.92 center with .20 pears on each side (2).jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried shrinking the pic a few times to see.... (don't forget the round will be set higher, and if the pears are set at an angle downward, they will look smaller than the pictures makes them look when laid flat).

rwps3.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i think it''s good.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally...I think they're a bit big if you're looking for the center stone w/ sidestones look. If you want more of a three stone look they would work.

Is there someone's ring you're working off of? If so, find out the dimensions of their diamonds and you will be able to come up the appropriate scale to make yours look the same even if their center diamond is much bigger.

ETA: I LOVE your center stone!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 6:44:21 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I tried shrinking the pic a few times to see.... (don''t forget the round will be set higher, and if the pears are set at an angle downward, they will look smaller than the pictures makes them look when laid flat).
Thanks FG and LK! Oh yeah, I actually didn''t think of shrinking the picture.
emembarrassed.gif
It looks much better like that, and yes, the pears will be angled down somewhat on the trellis setting. At first when I saw the picture I thought, um, they''re kind of big (speaking of the pears). But shrunk to more real life size, they look so much better! I have the option of changing them and getting something else in size, but if these look good, then I''ll stick with them. They''re G, SI (eye clean), (4.95 x 3.5mm). The RB is also G, SI (6.23-6.25X3.86).

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I think they look beautiful together.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
bigger would look good too, 25 points a piece.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it that way. I love love love rounds with pear side stones! I would also like it if the side pears were a bit smaller, but that would be a different look, you know? I definitely wouldn''t go bigger, though.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
Looks gorgeous! If I ever upgrade my ring, I''d be doing the same thing. By the way, have you seen kayleigh''s gorgeous 3 stone? 2.36 centre RB, 0.68 tcw pears on each side. Your pears are slightly larger in proportion but I think it would look fabulous, no worries there!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 6:56:48 PM
Author: neatfreak
Personally...I think they''re a bit big if you''re looking for the center stone w/ sidestones look. If you want more of a three stone look they would work.

Is there someone''s ring you''re working off of? If so, find out the dimensions of their diamonds and you will be able to come up the appropriate scale to make yours look the same even if their center diamond is much bigger.

Thanks neatfreak! Here''s the ring we''re getting: http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=213&rn=831&action=show_detail . WF is making it and it''s going to be set lower than the one shown. I also love the look of Kaleigh''s ring, although the stones are larger than what we''re using. I''m not sure which look to go with -- the 3 stone look or the center with sidestones look. My hands are small, and my ring size is 4.5, so I don''t want it to overpower my finger. The longer I look at these pears, they DO seem a little wide. But they''re so pretty. Oh, I don''t know what to do.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 8:29:00 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Date: 4/5/2007 6:56:48 PM

Author: neatfreak

Personally...I think they're a bit big if you're looking for the center stone w/ sidestones look. If you want more of a three stone look they would work.

Is there someone's ring you're working off of? If so, find out the dimensions of their diamonds and you will be able to come up the appropriate scale to make yours look the same even if their center diamond is much bigger.

Thanks neatfreak! Here's the ring we're getting: http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=213&rn=831&action=show_detail . WF is making it and it's going to be set lower than the one shown. I also love the look of Kaleigh's ring, although the stones are larger than what we're using. I'm not sure which look to go with -- the 3 stone look or the center with sidestones look. My hands are small, and my ring size is 4.5, so I don't want it to overpower my finger. The longer I look at these pears, they DO seem a little wide. But they're so pretty. Oh, I don't know what to do.

Hmmm...that's a hard one. Your stones look quite a bit bigger than the sapphires displayed to the naked eye, but the angling and setting might be the culprit there. From quick calculations, the sapphires on the side of that diamond are about 1/5 of the carat weight of the stone. So for a stone your size, the appropriate size sapphires to get the same look pictured would be .18 ea.

Trying to work out the math here, but I'm not sure it's completely correct due to differences in densities, cutting techniques, and the vast face up differences between a good cut/bad cut. Because the faceup changes so much slower than the carat weight, I think the side diamonds you would need to get the same look as the Knox would be about .15-16 pt diamond. I think. So yours are a tad bigger than the sapphires in the knox ring compared to your center stone size.

Have you tried on anything 3 stone with proportions you liked? I'm sure it would be hard with small fingers, but at least you'll get amazing finger coverage whatever you do!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for doing the calculations neatfreak! I was thinking maybe .15-.18 would look good. But if I go with .18, that''s not much smaller than what WF already has for me. Would the difference be noticeable? Also, the smaller pears could be pretty wide too, right, depending on the measurements? I haven''t tried on rings with this look. I have faith that it will end up looking great, if only I could figure this part out.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that the larger pears make it more of a three stone ring than a ring with sidestons, BUT the bigger the blingier! so I say keep them that size!
10.gif

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 8:29:00 PM
Author: zoebartlett

The longer I look at these pears, they DO seem a little wide. But they''re so pretty. Oh, I don''t know what to do.

I''m with you on this- to me, the size of the pear stones are ok, but they''re just a bit "fatter" than a lot of other pear sides stones I''ve seen. So, it''s the shape rather than the size of the pear stones that are a little off in my opinion. Perhaps you could ask Whiteflash to find some other pears that are "sleeker" (i.e. thinner width-wise at the rounded end and longer lengthwise overall, if that makes any sense).

Good luck with the project- it''s going to beautiful at the end!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they are very lovely!! The proportions look great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results