shape
carat
color
clarity

Proper Martini Setting?

Rangoon09

Rough_Rock
Was looking at the earrings I got my wife for Christmas and noticed a few things. Happy with the diamonds but was thinking maybe the setting isn't right size for the stones.

First one stone is set crooked which bothers me, but the circular wire under the girdle that ties the three prongs together is like right under the girdle of each diamond. Like the stones girdle is resting on top of that circular wire. I have seen several pics and in most I see a noticeable amount of space between that circular wire on the underside of the diamond and the girdle.

Additionally the circular wire mentioned above also extends out beyond the edge of the stones in spots that is very visible. Searched the forum a bit found one old post about setting sizes.

My OCD takes over and beyond the visual imperfections of the setting that drive me nuts, was also wondering if that wire being pushed right up against the girdle would impact light performance around the outer perimeter of the diamond.

Though I probably answered my own question I don't have the expertise. So is this a proper martini setting or a case of wrong size setting for the stones? I can provide visuals and stone size if needed. Maybe its a tweener size or something. Any insight appreciated.

TY,
A

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, pictures would definitely help.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I think I know what you mean.

I have martini earrings and just looked at them and the vendor photos ... it seems to me that circular ring should be about halfway down the diamond’s lower half - when that is the case, none of it protrudes beyond the diamond (other than the prongs). I would guess that your diamonds have been set into settings that are too large.

I don’t know how it would affect light performance - probably not enough to make a big difference? Just my guess.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I concur with Kmoro. Sounds like the settings used were for a larger diamond. The prong support ring being up close to the edge of the diamond should not affect the light performance, but having them visually extend past the edge of the diamond will be distracting.

Wink

Rangoon09

Rough_Rock
IMG_3850.jpg
Ill get a better pic later not sure if it will be visible. stone on the left sits as I thought it would and should based on what I have read. The one on the right is the one in question.

Those are from two different sets btw. Just was for comparison purposes.

34.540.8.jpg

Top side of the setting between two prongs you can see the setting wire

Thx for feedback

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually you can see it between the two prongs on the left, too. I believe the ring should be down farther than it is. Your earring on the left looks correctly set.

Here is my settings from the top and side. You don’t see that “ring” from the top at all.

IMG_5298.JPG IMG_5240.JPG IMG_5243.JPG
IMG_5299.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results