shape
carat
color
clarity

Pronging Inclusions on a SI2 (Knot)

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
I have a couple of quick questions, please. I've asked before about a SI1 diamond I was looking at that had a large knot, so I know the prevailing wisdom on this board is to avoid those diamonds and to keep shopping. As I understand it, it's because it might pop out at some point and then I would be left with a gaping hole. But here I am again with yet another knot question.

So, follow my logic here, if the knot is on the edge, and they prong it (and it survives the setting process), it's probably not going to pop out because it's tucked safely under the prong?

I'm not going to get this diamond. It's over budget anyway. I am just trying to educate myself as to what is and is not prongable on a bargain SI2.

Also, as far as orientation goes- does it need to be at the tip of an arrow or not?

cert (1).jpeg

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Unfortunately, there are no bargains in diamonds. If something is heavily discounted, there’s a reason. And the reason in this case is due to the knot. You need to move on from this and just stay away from stones with knots. There are just too many diamonds out there that you don’t need to deal with this. However, please note that there are good SI2 diamonds, you just have to search. This one is not a good SI2... even without the knot it just has too much going on. No need to discuss how to mount a stone with a knot because you should look for a different diamond. Keep looking and you will find the right stone. Also, many people here can help you in your search if you start a new thread with your budget and what you are hoping to get.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Looking at the plot I’m not even sure this can be an eye clean diamond. Pls pass...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be nervous about the knot because of structural integrity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results