shape
carat
color
clarity

Project thread!

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
2C8E2AA5-A402-4F00-913A-3B10410F09D5.jpeg if there is another similar thread, sorry in advance for duplicating. Researching, shopping, and designing for my ering has sparked so much joy (haha, trendy turn of phrase these days...). I have always loved jewelry since I was a little girl. My first real piece of jewelry was an emerald cut amethyst set E-W with diamonds set in 10k yellow gold when I was in the 4th grade. It was from a popular catalog whose name I can’t recall in about 1986. I wore it daily for everything I did. One day, I was sitting doing my homework when the stone popped out! My mom has it reset and I learned a valuable lesson: when the shank bends, stones are at risk. Since then, my mother indulged me with something small for each of my dance performances and chose a colored stone that represented the role I was dancing. She always favored the mass produced and ahem.. cheaper QVC stuff. Over the years, I’ve lost some valuable (sentimental) to me stuff: ruby and pearl earrings from my HS graduation from my grandmother, emerald earrings and much more. All due to carelessness, wearing habits (lol - don’t go skiing with your ruby earrings). After learning so much from all of you, I’ve cleaned out my jewelry box and identified some projects!!!

My first ering, I purchased a 1ct sapphire on eBay for $75 in 2004. I paid for the setting myself but was never happy with the workmanship. For as long as I can remember I have loved anything deco. I also have a lone earring set with 6 small round emeralds. I’m hoping to set this into a pendant or target ring by CVB.

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
1F73761C-109B-4C8E-B951-BB0F3D7F57A9.jpeg For my next project is the jewelry I purchased for my wedding ceremony. Garnet earrings and a pearl strand enhancer. The earrings are broken and given the association, would love to reset into a 3 stone ring for the holiday season:

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
FE9B126B-4FBD-4447-A881-BE9E1E803234.jpeg Last up is I believe a topaz (certainly a nutcracker-themed snow gift from mom). Quite dirty despite my scrub a dub with tooth brush and soap and water. It’s pictured next to an aquamarine and diamond pair of earrings I bought for myself a few years ago. With it are my original pearl earrings from when I was in 7th grade and first had my ears pierced. All gifts from mom. I think both the pearls and the topaz would together make an excellent pendant!

I would love all of your thoughts, suggestions and designs! What a great community pricescope is. I have a lot of great stuff just waiting to be reset! Also check out my post in the pearl forum for what to do with my red coral strand!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't reset the sapphire or the garnets. The garnets aren't worth very much, and unless there's some sentimental reason, you'd do better to buy new garnets for the project. The sapphire is bezel set, and you would either destroy the setting it the sapphire when you try to remove it.

The pearls and topaz look nice together. I'm sure they would make a beautiful pendant. Love your aquamarines and diamonds!

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
The garnets are absolutely not worth very much! But it was the jewelry I wore when I married my first husband, heavily pregnant with my son. So there is some sentimental value there.

The sapphire setting is terrible. I will try to photograph it better for you. But as it was my ering and wedding ring to my first husband, there’s zero chance I’m wearing it again....

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
F1288A72-1D6D-4FB8-897C-F2A10DFAC45E.jpeg I don’t care about destroying the setting as I am looking to harvest the stones and melt down the gold for the project. The setting was stock and originally designed for a round stone and was stretched to accommodate this stone. Very shoddy work imo.

voce

Ideal_Rock
F1288A72-1D6D-4FB8-897C-F2A10DFAC45E.jpeg I don’t care about destroying the setting as I am looking to harvest the stones and melt down the gold for the project. The setting was stock and originally designed for a round stone and was stretched to accommodate this stone. Very shoddy work imo.
That sapphire is too dark for me personal preference, and doesn't even sparkle under the sun, now that you've shown me this photo. Not worth much. I wouldn't spend money resetting it.

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
I appreciate your opinion! One of the reasons it doesn’t pop is because under this setting there is a tremendous amount of wax. I had to build up the negative space because in the course of washing my hands between patients, water would collect, and subsequently I would develop a tremendous rash under the ring! Metaphor for the marriage! I had it appraised after I bought it from several jewelers and I know it did well. It’s an Unheated Sri Lankan stone. When my ex proposed, he did so literally with a tree branch he found in the woods. I was in my early twenties, and I did what I could at the time to get what I wanted: a sapphire target ring. So purchasing the stone on eBay “back in the day” and having it set long after my son was born, all on my own dime is definitely something that has value to me. Even if it doesn’t for anyone else.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I suspect your stone is terribly cut. A properly cut sapphire should have light reflected internally and back through the table so that it actually doesn't matter what is underneath the stone. From your photo under the sun the stone looks 0% brilliance. If you're willing to put money on this sapphire, maybe it's worth it to unset the stone, then see if it's worth recutting it to reflect light properly before you make another setting for this sapphire.

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
Again, I appreciate your thoughts! For me, it’s not about the brilliance of the stone but rather what it reflects to me. What it reflects to me is a young woman, whose husband couldn’t provide a piece of jewelry. So I did it myself, on the budget of student waitress, in the third trimester/first 3 months of motherhood. To me, spending money on the setting is where I prefer to spend my budget. Given the girdle is totally obscured by the bezel there isn’t much light reflection. And it’s terribly dirty and hasn’t been cleaned in 7+ years.

Also the stone was photographed in the second photo indoors, in my bedroom. It’s navy for sure, but I love it.

I do appreciate your thoughts and opinions. I really do. I just find them to be very negative given what I have tried to convey which in my short time posting here on PS I have not experienced. Sometimes even a less than ideal stone that isn’t worth much to anyone else is worth far more in the eye of the beholder.

Hopefully a jeweler will be more than willing to take my money!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Even an opaque, black sapphire looks great in a beautiful setting; in fact, there are many examples of 'black & white' designs - as fine as anything. The simplest upgrade I can think of would be a classical cluster with nine diamonds. The sapphire may need a fresh polish & this is simple enough.

_

May I ask if you have kept the branch?

,)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds as if, no matter what, you'd like the sapphire extracted and a new setting designed for it. Could it be as a pendant? I think given its darkness, that a wax-free ;)2, open backed, prong setting would allow so much more light and might surprise us all by allowing the stone to flash color. But you'll know that once its removed from its current setting. Sounds like you have some fun plans ahead!

ETA: and heck yeah, you're in the right place!!

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
Even an opaque, black sapphire looks great in a beautiful setting; in fact, there are many examples of 'black & white' designs - as fine as anything. The simplest upgrade I can think of would be a classical cluster with nine diamonds. The sapphire may need a fresh polish & this is simple enough.

_

May I ask if you have kept the branch?

,)
Hahaha - no, I didn’t. I did keep the pendant of lapis lazuli bought from the gift store in Portillo though! Horribly discolored through daily wear in the shower and likely cost $20 we are skiers. Travel is priority even now that I have a new partner.

Though I have seen some incredible sapphires in my lifetime (was briefly engaged with a 3.5 ct antique Burmese honker family heirloom - before my relatively tiny 1ct “dark and ugly” stone) I have never had a single argument with the stone. Likely because of the story behind it.

I have considered it for a pendant as well! I’m just so attached to the idea of a target style setting re-using and repurposing things I already own. Workmanship is of the highest priority for me. I’ve hated that setting since the day I picked it up.

Reactions: AV_

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
It sounds as if, no matter what, you'd like the sapphire extracted and a new setting designed for it. Could it be as a pendant? I think given its darkness, that a wax-free ;)2, open backed, prong setting would allow so much more light and might surprise us all by allowing the stone to flash color. But you'll know that once its removed from its current setting. Sounds like you have some fun plans ahead!

ETA: and heck yeah, you're in the right place!!

Thank you!! I think they’re fun! I’ll have to nullify my budget for new skis, bikes, and jackets for the next few years. Thankfully, I already have a veritable rainbow of those to choose from. Ahhh, growing up :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
@AMRN0516 I'm sorry to have caused offense. I find your accomplishments and your journey very admirable.

I'm the type of person for whom I don't need a physical reminder of how much I've gone through and accomplished. We clearly approach jewelry differently.

I didn't know that you are sentimental about what seems to me every stone you have posted here. For me personally, I can't justify spending a lot of money on a setting unless the jewelry would be valued by someone other than myself--I would want to pass my jewelry to my children who would be able to pawn them and get value out of it if they find themselves in a precarious situation. I would be guilt ridden every day if I considered my jewelry to be only for myself. Of course, my considerations are way different from most folks anywhere. :P2

Whatever you decide to do with your stones, I'm sure that it will be the right decision for you! I'm sorry to have rained on your parade and promise not to do it again. I'm sure your future projects will be very interesting, and I hope I didn't discourage you from pursuing them. :geek2:

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
@AMRN0516 I'm sorry to have caused offense. I find your accomplishments and your journey very admirable.

I'm the type of person for whom I don't need a physical reminder of how much I've gone through and accomplished. We clearly approach jewelry differently.

I didn't know that you are sentimental about what seems to me every stone you have posted here. For me personally, I can't justify spending a lot of money on a setting unless the jewelry would be valued by someone other than myself--I would want to pass my jewelry to my children who would be able to pawn them and get value out of it if they find themselves in a precarious situation. I would be guilt ridden every day if I considered my jewelry to be only for myself. Of course, my considerations are way different from most folks anywhere. :P2

Whatever you decide to do with your stones, I'm sure that it will be the right decision for you! I'm sorry to have rained on your parade and promise not to do it again. I'm sure your future projects will be very interesting, and I hope I didn't discourage you from pursuing them. :geek2:

For me, I have worked for everything and purchased it myself. Throwing away what I’ve worked for seems wrong! I had a son, so I doubt he’ll be interested. If he someday marries someone who would, all of my stuff - including the nice furniture and piano - comes with the same caveat my parents gave to me: if you don’t want it, give it back.

I will have his head if he ever pawns my stuff posthumously! Lol. Even if it’s not as nice as the ring currently occupying my left ring finger, it’s a story, and it’s part of our family. I hope to continue to add to it! The family of jewels, of course. All done adding humans ;-)

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think perhaps there is two different camps of thought coming from completely different perapectives.

One would be that the item brings joy because of the positive associations you have with it, and therefore why not set it in a spectacular setting so you can enjoy it every day. And then its total value is encapaulated in the enjoyment you personally get from it. But that is fine as jewelry reallly doesnt have any other functional use anyway.

The other is that we are talking about putting a 2-4k (sorry I didnt look it up but this is ball park for cvb settings from memory) custom setting on a low cost/value stone. And after we have done this we should be reconciled to the fact that neither stone or setting will have much resale value. This is understandable as people pay a premium for custom settings so that they are a **perfect fit** for their stones in terms of being able to get the style, size and all the little details exactly to their liking (also coloured stones often come in odd sizes, which is why they cant just be popped in and out of different settings and why we all love custom mounts :D).

So the resale of such a piece where no one else placed inate value in the coloured stone center (because its value intrinsicly comes from your memories) is pretty limited and it will only be worth a small fraction of what you paid if ever resold.

Given all of that as a premise, if it sounds ok then I would totally go for it and make the ring you have been dreaming about wearing! I am actually betting the stone will be quite a bit blue-er (is that a word?) if it is reset in a cvb setting with an open gallery which allows a lot of light in. I also love the association you have with it -- it is very self empowering. And clearly the ring has been through a lot with you, so I can understand keeping it close. The only thing I would wonder about is maybe sending the stone to AGL before you start, just to check it again (as it would suck to spend a lot of money on the mount then discover the apraisers missed something like fracture filling which would make it not that structurally sound).

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
Those are all good suggestions regarding vetting of the stone. You are 100% correct in the assumption that this little pebble is important to my story and thus I am not planning on parting with it, only delivering it into a setting that I can enjoy and feel empowered each and every time I put it on. To me, it is not what it is worth to others, it’s what it is worth to me. I find the jewelry making/smithing of it to be worthy of the spend.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those are all good suggestions regarding vetting of the stone. You are 100% correct in the assumption that this little pebble is important to my story and thus I am not planning on parting with it, only delivering it into a setting that I can enjoy and feel empowered each and every time I put it on. To me, it is not what it is worth to others, it’s what it is worth to me. I find the jewelry making/smithing of it to be worthy of the spend.

In that case totally go for it :dance:. I would love to see pictures of the process here! I think it will be a lot of fun.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another vendor to take a look at for target / pendant settings is ivy & rose. i think most of them are for round stones but they will customize their designs to fit your stone if i recall correctly. i haven't bought from them personally but there are some threads showing their settings.

here are a few that would look good w/ your sapphire imho. do you have ideas on the color of metal or the shape or the color of the accent stones?

20190201-28-17v87yx.

20190201-28-haf98n.

20190201-28-1j4yhg8.

20190201-28-1mwfdlv.

these last two aren't target rings, i just think they're super cool designs

20190201-28-13qqri8.

20190201-28-1be4i00.

of the CVB stuff, i just looked on her site and i don't like her target rings as much for your stone, i think this would be killer

il_570xN.1447588246_bkzw.jpg

or maybe this
il_340x270.1628510125_lcbz.jpg

yellow or rose gold would go nicely with that inky blue. one person's opinion anyway - happy hunting!

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
another vendor to take a look at for target / pendant settings is ivy & rose. i think most of them are for round stones but they will customize their designs to fit your stone if i recall correctly. i haven't bought from them personally but there are some threads showing their settings.

here are a few that would look good w/ your sapphire imho. do you have ideas on the color of metal or the shape or the color of the accent stones?

20190201-28-17v87yx.

20190201-28-haf98n.

20190201-28-1j4yhg8.

20190201-28-1mwfdlv.

these last two aren't target rings, i just think they're super cool designs

20190201-28-13qqri8.

20190201-28-1be4i00.

of the CVB stuff, i just looked on her site and i don't like her target rings as much for your stone, i think this would be killer

il_570xN.1447588246_bkzw.jpg

or maybe this
il_340x270.1628510125_lcbz.jpg

yellow or rose gold would go nicely with that inky blue. one person's opinion anyway - happy hunting!

Oh wow! I’ve seen ivy and rose mentioned here but never taken a deeper dive.

The emeralds and the sapphire ones are singing my tune!!!

I just bought a little mint green tourmaline tonight from our home town mine. So now I am dreaming of a French cut sapphire surround for her to pair with my sapphire set into a pendant with my existing emeralds and diamonds

*shakes fist at pricescope for this addiction*

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
I am finally going to have my blue-green tourmaline made into a ring. I have had the stone for almost 8 years since I had put my interest in colored gemstones aside for that long while. The original thread for the stone is here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blue-green-tourmaline.157814/

Gene1107_Blue-Green Tourmaline.png
I am debating between two designs, one is elle_71125's beautiful flower ring and the other is a bezel setting. Both are beautiful and I am having a hard time deciding. I love the flower ring design but I think the bezel setting may provide better protection for the less-durable tourmaline? I love how the bezel ring looks in the picture but have a hard time imaging how it would look on hand. I could not find any hand shot with that ring. Decisions, decisions.
DavidKlass_Round1_resize.jpg
DavidKlass_Round6_resize.jpg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
"The only thing I would wonder about is maybe sending thestone to AGL before you start, just to check it again (as it would suck to spend a lot of money on the mount then discover the apraisers missed something like fracture filling which would make it not that structurally sound)."

This!

What @qubitasaurus said is actually very important. While I'm all for attaching memories to stones and using them as a representation for acheivments or memories, it is very important that Caysie knows what kind of stone she is working with. Sadly If your stone is filled or highly treated, (which sadly theres a good possibility it is because of the place and price of purchase) doing something very simple in the setting process could damage it severely.
I totally second getting a lab report before signing up for this huge project; Especially if this stone holds so much sentimental value to you, which it definetely sounds like it does.
That way if it turns out to have a treatment that would make setting difficult, you could at least be aware and take that risk yourself or keep it as is.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
You have so many neat ideas for projects and im hoping you continue to post them!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Atwater I would personally go with the flower setting. I just think of what happens with a softer stone in a bezel setting, and you can't repolish or switch out a damaged stone in a damaged setting. If you like the bezel look, you can try something like Yvonne Raley's hexagon series, which has the protectiveness you expect of bezel settings, but is actually set with prongs in case you ever need to take the stone out.

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock

I feel like I've been seeing black diamonds everywhere. I bet there are tons of photos of black or dark stones in jewelry out there, in a wide variety of styles, that can be used for inspiration.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results