shape
carat
color
clarity

Progress in countertop comparison

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A prototype model of a retail store comparison of cut quality tool is on the way from ImaGem. It''s well on the way to a commercal unit, but I thought folks would like to see that, in time, there will be a device that will alllow many diamonds to be placed side by side for quick screening of their symmetrical cutting and light return images. I see it as an electronic Ideal-Scope that views many diamonds all at the same time. You can rather quickly pick the dud stones found in this image. All stones here are CZ.

multi-image.jpg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dave,

Is this a device that you are thinking the store will have in their showroom to assist shoppers in picking the right stone, rather like the intended use of the desktop ASET or something that the shoppers will carry into the store as an individual shopping tool?

You used the word ‘electronic’, which is interestingly different from both the ASET and the idealscope. Can you elaborate? Is the image above not a photograph?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is contemplated to be a countertop unit in retail stores. The image is a captured image from the actual device. The unit will show live images on a computer screen of stones placed on its viewing glass so that consumers can make valid choices. It is electronic when compared to an Ideal-Scope whicxh is simply a hand held tool.

I''d love to put a series of AGS 000 princess cuts and AGS 1 and AGS 2 princess cuts on it for visual comparison. I really have little idea of how they will compare visually. I suppose the DiamCalc could show me, but I don''t have sufficient facet specifications.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could you explain what we are looking at?

As far as I can judge, and guessing that I am interpreting the colours somewhat correctly, I see one possible dud in a total of 11 stones. The other 10 look all comparable to me.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The blue checked stone is a poor one and the purple checked stone is a fair one. The rest are near the top range of performance. People can readily see the differences in these images, just as one can with an Ideal-Scope. The result is a subjective one, but pretty readily understood without a lot of extraneous diamond knowledge.

multi-image2.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
big problem they dont look like anything most people associate with diamonds.
Which brings up the next issue and thats what real world condition is it spose to look like?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These images look no more like diamonds than ASET scope or Ideal-Scope images. By converting the brilliant diamond image we see into a diamond with an altered color or digital black and white image, the human eye can more easily make some interpretations. This is the same sort of interpretation one makes when screening diamonds with an Ideal-Scope or ASET Scope. You need to learn what the best stones tend to look like, and then you simply compare an unknown diamond to those stock images of graded stones. The red, white and black sample images on the I-S website don''t look like real diamonds, but they do make perfect sense even to beginners. To me, this seems to be the way things already are and no mystery at all. Do you interpret or understand the Ideal-Scope or ASET Scope images in some other way than I do? I think this is all pretty clear and well accepted practice in the trade by now. You need to spell it out for me if there is somewthing you don''t understand here.

Users of the I-S or ASET will readily see the connection, I believe.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok Dave pretend I''m a rank newbie, explain to me in 30 words or less what to look for in a stone under it?
With ASET and IS its easy.

I had a 74 year old Lady understanding and using my ASET scope in her store to grade every diamond in the place with a 2 minute explanation.
I don''t see that happening with that tool.
The images don''t convey information in an easily understandable manner like the ASET and IS do.

Whats left is the question does it accuratly show something the consumer will ever see in the real world?
The IS and ASET dont but the relationship is easy to explain....

IS:
Red is light return
Black is reflection of your head.
White is leakage.
Mostly red with no white near the center and some black is best.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you are alone in having a problem or no one else cares. It needs no explanation beyond what one sees in an Ideal-Scope. That''s less than 30 seconds!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dave,

I wish you all the best in selling these but I think you’re going to find it tough going. Few stores have a need to assist customers in quickly picking through parcels of diamonds and, for inspecting stones one at a time, both the ASET and IS seem more informative. The ability to capture and save the digital image is certainly handy but this isn’t really a consumer requirement.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/27/2007 8:53:35 AM
Author: oldminer
I think you are alone in having a problem or no one else cares. It needs no explanation beyond what one sees in an Ideal-Scope. That''s less than 30 seconds!
I am with storm on this.

We can see basically white and black in these images, without explanation what which colour stands for. In an ideal-scope, the colours are explained. Same in an ASET-scope.

So, I looked at it, and did not like the way the ''poor one'' looked like. What you describe as the ''fair stone'', did not stand out to me as different.

To sum it up, I have looked at the image about a dozen times now, and I cannot explain what I am looking at. Somebody needs to teach us, I guess.

Live long,

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay, I hear you. Thanks for the input. We will work on explanatory text to go with the commonly seen images. I appreciate the advice.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Certainly no expert here... but I've looked at the image a few times now, and thought I'd chime in with my very humble 2 cents, too...

I, too, don't understand the helpfulness of the gadget. It seems to me that it would be easier (and cheaper!
2.gif
) to just look at the diamonds side-by-side and compare them with the naked eye. ???

*shrugs*

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Years ago, Garry Holloway showed me how much easier it was for the human eye, even an experienced one, to use the Ideal-Scope versus naked eye assessment. I became convinced to the point of becoming his US Distributor. The human eye is not a perfect instrument for grading diamonds. Changing the look of the light output definitely assists one in idenitfying better performing diamonds.

I often tell folks to use their own eyes, true enough, but I have become a long time advocate of the value of the Ideal-Scope and the way it alters the perception of a diamond into a more easily defined format for grading or screening. It isn''t rocket science of the sort I frequently propose, just a basic screening assessment tool that will make its debut in the months to come. The success of the ISEE2 is something related to how this new tool will be used at the retail level. Nothing complex. Simple, fast, honest and consumer friendly.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 8:24:27 AM
Author: oldminer
It is contemplated to be a countertop unit in retail stores. The image is a captured image from the actual device. The unit will show live images on a computer screen of stones placed on its viewing glass so that consumers can make valid choices. It is electronic when compared to an Ideal-Scope whicxh is simply a hand held tool.

I''d love to put a series of AGS 000 princess cuts and AGS 1 and AGS 2 princess cuts on it for visual comparison. I really have little idea of how they will compare visually. I suppose the DiamCalc could show me, but I don''t have sufficient facet specifications.
I''d be interested in seeing this. Looks like a great idea Dave, something to help the consumers make a more informed choice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results