shape
carat
color
clarity

Problem with Jeweler - what should I do

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Zola

Rough_Rock
When my ring was purchased about 6 years ago, it was sent back an additional two times due to the prongs being set incorrectly. Since then, the ring has gone through three upgrades with each time being sent an average of 2 times due to poor workmanship on the jewler when setiting the ring in the new prongs. I recently sent my ring into the jeweler to set a scratch removed and to have the prongs changed to "V" prongs which I had been comtemplating for several years and decided to do at the same time. Due to the on-going dis-satisfaction with the jeweler, I met with the new manager of this retail jewelry store to specify my concerns and history with their jewlers in the past. This manager set up a one-on-one consultation with their jeweler whom I met with and specified how I would like the prongs set (even heads, symetry, etc.). After meeting with the manager and jeweler, I was confident that the problem was solved.

Unfortunately, when I picked up my ring, all the prongs on the head were different sizes, nor were two of them "flush" with the diamond. The prongs going up to the diamond weren''t straight and one of them isn''t even a "v", but a blob of metal. The scratch I requested to be buffed out was, but then a new scratch in a different location was created. Several of the prongs leading up the diamond are severly scratched with the visible eye and slightly wavy. To top it off, the band is smaller. I thought it was just me because sometimes, my finger gets "fatter" at night vs. in morning, but I tried it on again this morning and it''s still difficult to put on.

Has anyone heard of anyone being able to go to an different/independant jeweler to get rings fixed and sending the "bill" to their jeweler. Or being able to sell the ring back after the 90 days has passed due to disatisfaction with the jewler''s workmanship? I wish I could fire this retail jewelry store and get my money back but I''ve already paid for the entire ring and the return date has already passed.

Please note that I don''t know if this jeweler is the same one they''ve used for the 6 years I''ve been with them. In the past, when I''ve had the same problem, I''ve request a different jeweler work on it and even at one time, their engraver fixed my ring because I was told that on rare occasions he does this work because he is very detail oriented. During one of my upgrades, I asked for him again but they brushed it off and said their new jewler was great which he ended up not being.

This retail store has recently gone through some staff changes due to similar problems with other customers but it appears nothings changed. The manager I met with even specified on the work order that he was to see the finished ring to make sure it was done correctly before I was called but that request was completely ignored. On top of that he never even called to apoligize or explain what happened. When I went to pick up my ring and noticed how bad it looked, I asked if this manager had seen it and they said no. Instead they started another work order to send back to the jeweler. What''s the point of sending it back to same jeweler who messed it up in the first place? I requested that this manager call me today which is what I''m waiting for but I don''t know what to say to him. I''ve lost all confidence in his ability as well as their jeweler. Any suggestions?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
is there a way to just get a refund or if you paid by Credit card, dispute the charges and get your money back? that''s the route I''d go and then please, please find another jeweler...you are way to forgiving and patient. I would allow one maybe two do-overs depending on the issue, but you''ve been going through years of problems with this company. If you can''t get your money back, chalk it up to an expensive lesson and find a nice local store with an on site benchperson to work on your ring
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/2/2008 10:40:57 AM
Author:Zola
I don't know what to say to him. I've lost all confidence in his ability as well as their jeweler. Any suggestions?

Say: “I’m still not satisfied with the workmanship and would like a refund please.”

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

san diego searcher

Rough_Rock
If you create a paper trail, write a letter, take photos, etc. and they won''t (or can''t) satisfy you, then I would think you could pay someone else to fix the problem and sue them in small claims court for the cost. I don''t know much money would be involved of whether you feel it''s worth the time and trouble to pursue this. But it sounds like they may not be able to satisfy you otherwise. Maybe you could start by putting them on notice that you want a refund for the mounting and you will go elsewhere and get a new one from someone who knows how to mount diamonds.

Zola

Rough_Rock
I don''t think I can get a refund. I upgraded it and paid for it in June 2007 and I had to send it back only once that time. One of the prongs was "sliced" making the tip of the pronge which is flush with the diamond seem smaller and sharp on the edge. When I pointed it out to the sales clerk she said "that''s common" which I still can''t believe. It would be like me buying a brand new car and upon delivery, having a dent or a flat tire on it. This shouldn''t be acceptable. Anyway, the sales clerk was able to "buff" the prong making it smoother and less noticeable. She also offered to send it back to the jeweler which I refused because I was so mad. Once again, what''s the point of sending it back to the same person who ruined it. I told her that I may down the road consider getting new pronges to fix this error but not right then because I was so upset.

Last week when I noticed the scratch on the band, I took it in to get it repaired, I also decided to finally fix the pronge and change the style to "v" shape. I always hope for the best, but seem to always be disappointed with their work.

As to the comment about disputing the charge on my credit card, it was paid via check through my checking account which has of course cleared since it was almost a year ago so I''m out of luck there.

As to the comment about "if you can''t get your money back, chalk it up to an expensive lesson and find a nice local store with an on site benchperson to work on your ring", I did have a 20 minute face-to-face consultation with the jeweler who would be working on the ring and I was specific about my expectation of the quality of their workmanship. He said he understood and assured me it would be perfect. The local store suggestion is appreciated, but the jeweler I''m with is a local store. I wish I could go to another store, but without a refund, we can''t afford another ring. I''ve already invested 6 years and 4 upgrades. My last and final upgrade last June, we paid $17,500 for a beautiful 1.55 C Princess diamond ring.

Any other suggestions? Talk to their corporate office or regional manager? Send it to another jeweler and pay for it myself but if I do, it won''t be covered by their insurance since they didn''t do the work? Or just keep sending it back until it''s fixed? Since this is my last and final upgrade, I won''t have to deal with them ever again other than the usual 6 month cleaning and inspection.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If this store is part of a chain, by all means speak with the regional manager and politely ask for the refund. You’re correct that you’ve been a bit slow about it and that this is likely to make them less cooperative but you never know if you don’t ask. More specifically, if you don’t ask you won’t have a case if you end up going through a more legal type process. (you may not have a case anyway). Step #1 is to ask for what you want in as clear and as polite a fashion as possible. Many of the chains are actually far more cooperative than people expect in resolving problems.

The insurance at jewelry stores doesn’t usually cover craftsmanship issues but it will cover theft, fire and similar losses while it’s in their care. If you take it to a new jeweler it’s likely that they will have similar coverage with similar exclulsions. Ask. If the stone is damaged while in their care they may take liability for this as part of their standard business policy or it may be covered under your own policy but it won’t be covered under any of the standard jewelry store policies.

The ‘damages’ here are probably a small fraction of the value of your ring. It may be possible to simply replace the prong assemblies or, depending on the design, you may be able to remanufacture the entire piece for a small fraction of the value of the total ring. I realize that it’s frustrating but this is NOT a $18,000 problem, it’s probably more like a $400 problem. Given these numbers, and assuming that the jeweler doesn’t want to or can’t make it right, I would find a competitor and simply get it fixed. If you’re sufficiently annoyed over the principle of the thing, file a complaint through the BBB or pursue them in small claims court to recover the costs.

Can you post pictures of the ring?

Are you currently insured?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2008 12:24:01 PM
Author: Zola
I don''t think I can get a refund. I upgraded it and paid for it in June 2007 and I had to send it back only once that time. One of the prongs was ''sliced'' making the tip of the pronge which is flush with the diamond seem smaller and sharp on the edge. When I pointed it out to the sales clerk she said ''that''s common'' which I still can''t believe. It would be like me buying a brand new car and upon delivery, having a dent or a flat tire on it. This shouldn''t be acceptable. Anyway, the sales clerk was able to ''buff'' the prong making it smoother and less noticeable. She also offered to send it back to the jeweler which I refused because I was so mad. Once again, what''s the point of sending it back to the same person who ruined it. I told her that I may down the road consider getting new pronges to fix this error but not right then because I was so upset.

Last week when I noticed the scratch on the band, I took it in to get it repaired, I also decided to finally fix the pronge and change the style to ''v'' shape. I always hope for the best, but seem to always be disappointed with their work.

As to the comment about disputing the charge on my credit card, it was paid via check through my checking account which has of course cleared since it was almost a year ago so I''m out of luck there.

As to the comment about ''if you can''t get your money back, chalk it up to an expensive lesson and find a nice local store with an on site benchperson to work on your ring'', I did have a 20 minute face-to-face consultation with the jeweler who would be working on the ring and I was specific about my expectation of the quality of their workmanship. He said he understood and assured me it would be perfect. The local store suggestion is appreciated, but the jeweler I''m with is a local store. I wish I could go to another store, but without a refund, we can''t afford another ring. I''ve already invested 6 years and 4 upgrades. My last and final upgrade last June, we paid $17,500 for a beautiful 1.55 C Princess diamond ring.

Any other suggestions? Talk to their corporate office or regional manager? Send it to another jeweler and pay for it myself but if I do, it won''t be covered by their insurance since they didn''t do the work? Or just keep sending it back until it''s fixed? Since this is my last and final upgrade, I won''t have to deal with them ever again other than the usual 6 month cleaning and inspection.
Well I agree that I would not have let this go on for this long, but I am sure that you know this now and would change it if you could, so moving forward...if the jeweler told you that it would be perfect, and it is not, then I would ask him what he plans to do about it to make it perfect. Honestly, I would not want to continue working with this particular shop, but I just don''t think that you have too many options otherwise since it has been so long and you have had several upgrades. So if it were me, I would speak with the jeweler, be very firm, and ask what is going to be done to assure that I am 100% satisfied. If the answer is not at all acceptable, file with the BBB.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear you''ve invested so much time and money with this jeweler who gives you poor repair service. I would talk to their regional manager or go to their website and write a letter of complaint to their customer service. I did that once and did get my minor issue resolved but it was for $300 earrings not something as expensive or important as your ring. I would hope they have other jewelers who could do quality work on your ring. Good luck

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
when I said local store, i meant a small mom and pop or family owned jeweler. since you asked if you should go to the regional manager, then I assume you are dealing with a chain?

I agree with Denver appraiser though and since he''s in the business he knows what he''s talking about. Try going the route he suggested to get a refund and if that doesn''t work, i''ll still go back to my previous suggestion to chalking it up to a lesson learned and find some small non-chain person with an on-site benchman to help you. it may be less costly than you think to repair. there are also some wonderful pricescope vendors. are any of them close to you? If so, then I''d easily recommend one of them for the repairs.

it''s also important with jewelery to gets things fixed and taken care of right away if you are not 100% satisfied. you''re right, it''s going to be difficult to get a refund after you''ve lived with the poor workmanship since last summer. I do think though it is worth a try and just see where it takes you. I wouldn''t let them do any more work on your ring though, no matter how nice they seem to be about it...just my .02
1.gif

Zola

Rough_Rock
Here''s an update to my situation. We met with the manager and showed him the ring. Right off the bat, he noticed several of the things we had mentioned that was wrong with the workmanship. His solution was to send it to their "Master Jeweler" and they will pay for the cost. A Master Jeweler is supposidly suppose to be the best in this business. The manager said this could take about a week to two weeks to complete because they take longer to do their work vs. the regular ones that pop out dozens in a day. Two weeks without my ring seems a bit long, but it should be worth it if it comes back perfect.

Change of subject---

My husband just purchased a diamond necklace for me through BlueNile. It''s supposed to be FedEx''d tomorrow for an early Valentines/Anniversary/birthday gift. It''s a round solitare diamond in their signature "Bezel" setting with platinum chain. 0.66 Carat, Color F, SI1, Ideal Cut. I''m so excited

When he gave me my engagement ring about 7 years ago, I was never really into jewelry let alone diamonds, but now I think I''ve caught the fever. I am now obsessed with diamonds.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
You should ask the manager what happens if it''s not to your standards. Hope it turns out right this time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results