shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Diamonds and Ideal Purchase

diamondnewbie2010

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

As a long time reader of the forum I thought I would post a question and hope to get some help. I am shopping for a princess engagement ring in the neighborhood of 10k and if I'm spending that kind of cash I research it as well as possible. She prefers size over quality, but a happy medium is best.

So with that I think 2 CT, G color, SI1, and an excellent cut is something that is in my budget and I really want to get the best cut diamond possible based off these metrics.

So far, the closest I've found has been this one:
http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=52623217

I would love to hear any feedback, if only to confirm that this may be my best bet for the specs and cut quality. Also, is there any way to measure spread on a princess cut? I never realized how much of a difference it makes.

Thanks for any responses and help!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
EGL is known to be soft on color and clarity grading, EGL Israel being the worst offender. The stone could be significantly off in color and clarity grade if sent to AGS/GIA for grading. As such, these stones are traded at a discount in the trade and marketed as a deal compared to AGS/GIA stone.

Also, only AGS grades the cut performance of a princess cut, so the grade given is by the vendor and can mean anything. I would not trust a drop-shipper to know how well the stone actually perform as they do not have the stone in hand. For a princess, I would prefer to buy an AGS0 cut graded stone or at least from a vendor that can provide an ASET image at the very least.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
PLEASE get an AGS0 princess. For that budget do not sacrifice on cut. That being said you might have to sacrifice on carat. I don't think you can 2ct AGS0 for that price. But you will never regret getting an AGS0 princess. The cut is spectacular and puts all other princess stones to shame. Check out Whitflash and Brian Gavin Diamonds. If you don't want to go that route do not buy a princess without seeing the ASET image first. :)

pmbspyder

Rough_Rock
All of WhiteFlash's ACA princesses are graded triple 0 by AGS. I would know, I just bought one! They are superb stones, and the ring I got looks incredible, but you won't be able to even come close to 2ct in an ACA stone. maybe a 1.2. Size is always important to a woman until she puts a big dull rock on her finger and realizes she made a mistake. also, GOG has amazing stones, and great customer service. I went with WF and couldn't be happier with the entire experience, they were amazing! Good luck in your hunt, everyone here is ridiculously helpful!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
whiteflash and brian gavin diamonds have great AGS0 princess cuts. I've had both.

I understand that size is important, but if she were to compare I suspect she'd change her mind.

sfisher

Rough_Rock
I would tell you to just continue to look at all the major sites recommended by PS users. I just recently purchased and 1.86 AGS0, H, SI1 for right around your same budget. and as a bonus it was a Crafted by Infinity stone !

slg47

Ideal_Rock

diamondnewbie2010

Rough_Rock
sfisher|1316824176|3024282 said:
I would tell you to just continue to look at all the major sites recommended by PS users. I just recently purchased and 1.86 AGS0, H, SI1 for right around your same budget. and as a bonus it was a Crafted by Infinity stone !

Where did you end up going sfisher?

Thanks for all the feedback. It's funny - I think that she still thinks a bigger ct would be better but after seeing it I feel bad buying it knowing there are AGS 0s out there! The difference is amazing.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Ya, I know a girl who's #1 priority was size. She got a 4ct princess cut and it was the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. It was dull and milky, but she loved it. One school of thought would be to just get her the huge piece of crap she wants. But I completely understand that it's a lot of money and you want to get something you can look at on her hand and think is beautiful and be proud of. What if you meet in the middle and get her something in the 1.7-1.8 range, j-k color that still falls in the 'good' range? That's still quite a substantial size. Do you know her ring size???

sfisher

Rough_Rock
I purchased my diamond through Good Old Gold

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results