shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut - Spread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tonym

Rough_Rock
30.gif

Hi All,
Been lurking on here for the past few months, and gathering a lot of info in my search an e-ring. Although I must admit, sometimes it really is information overload!! :)
I''m in search for a 2ct (or above) F/VS2 Princess. I''ve been able to see a few local options, but there is limited stock of 2ct+ in Australia.

I''m looking to stick to F/VS2, and I now have a number of options to choose from. One of them sounds very interesting, but it''s the only one I''m yet to see.
I''m yet to see the following diamond, as it''s coming in from overseas next week (importer picked it up at the Hong Kong fair), but I had a question/concern about the spread.

Option 1
- Princess
- 2.12 F/VS2 VG/VG , Nil Fluorescence, Thin to Medium Girdle,
- Depth: 68.4
- Table 70%
- Measurements: 7.35 x 7.30 x 4.99
- This is the only diamond i''m yet to see (yes, the most important part!). Coming in next week from the Hong Kong fair - have not had to put a deposit as is usually the case.

My concern is that the face up spread is rather large for a 2.12. The depth at 68.4% is good, and it doens''t have an extremely thin girdle which I''ve seen as common for diamonds that usually have a larger spread.
What are your thoughts? Are those dimensions in a 2.12 something you''d stay away from? The importer is a trusted source, so quite interested to see this diamond when it gets in next week.

There are a couple of other local options I''m looking at, including a 2.05 f/vs2 ex/vg - measurements: 6.94 x 6.87. Good looking diamond, at a very good price - but was sort of hoping for something slightly larger in terms of face up measurements.

So back to my question - is 7.35 x 7.30 a reasonable spread for a 2.12 princess? Anything I need to look out for when viewing the diamond next week?

Thanks,
Tony

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably the result of a shallower crown, cut performance might be compromised, but cannot be sure as there is not way to judge princess cut from just the numbers.

Maybe ask if your jeweler has an ASET scope that you can use to see the stone or get one yourself from ideal-scope.com/cart_order.asp

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 12:00:45 AM
Author:tonym
30.gif

Hi All,
Been lurking on here for the past few months, and gathering a lot of info in my search an e-ring. Although I must admit, sometimes it really is information overload!! :)
I''m in search for a 2ct (or above) F/VS2 Princess. I''ve been able to see a few local options, but there is limited stock of 2ct+ in Australia.

I''m looking to stick to F/VS2, and I now have a number of options to choose from. One of them sounds very interesting, but it''s the only one I''m yet to see.
I''m yet to see the following diamond, as it''s coming in from overseas next week (importer picked it up at the Hong Kong fair), but I had a question/concern about the spread.

Option 1
- Princess
- 2.12 F/VS2 VG/VG , Nil Fluorescence, Thin to Medium Girdle,
- Depth: 68.4
- Table 70%
- Measurements: 7.35 x 7.30 x 4.99
- This is the only diamond i''m yet to see (yes, the most important part!). Coming in next week from the Hong Kong fair - have not had to put a deposit as is usually the case.

My concern is that the face up spread is rather large for a 2.12. The depth at 68.4% is good, and it doens''t have an extremely thin girdle which I''ve seen as common for diamonds that usually have a larger spread.
What are your thoughts? Are those dimensions in a 2.12 something you''d stay away from? The importer is a trusted source, so quite interested to see this diamond when it gets in next week.

There are a couple of other local options I''m looking at, including a 2.05 f/vs2 ex/vg - measurements: 6.94 x 6.87. Good looking diamond, at a very good price - but was sort of hoping for something slightly larger in terms of face up measurements.

So back to my question - is 7.35 x 7.30 a reasonable spread for a 2.12 princess? Anything I need to look out for when viewing the diamond next week?

Thanks,
Tony
Hi Tony

The table is a bit larger than the depth, usually the reverse is preferred. I would try to compare some well cut Princess in person before viewing this one, so you have a base of comparison. Try Jareds if you have a store closeby and view their AGS0 Peerless Princess. Also as Stone says, an ASET scope would be a valuable tool to take with you when you view this diamond.

tonym

Rough_Rock
Thanks Stone-cold.
I'm yet to see a jeweller that has an ASET here.
I was considering purchasing one, but thought that it may have made me even more confused. It may be worth reconsidering.

I'll check the diamond out when it arrives, I guess if it sparkles and gets me excited under a variety of lights, then that is the best test result. :)

I did see a great diamond last week, absolutely beautiful - 2.23ct but was about $5k overpriced. I did notice it's measurements seemed quite small - around the 6.9mm range - so I guess that did detract from the 'value' of the diamond. I may go and check it out again, it could have simply been the lighting at the dealer which made it look so unbelievable!!

Funny how some retailers print out a list from places like the House of Diamonds and go "Wow.. this diamond is beautiful" .. and i'm like "huh? but you're looking at numbers on a page, what makes it so beautiful?" .. It's so easy to get conned buying diamonds, i'm so glad I found PS!!

tonym

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 5:22:48 AM
Author: Lorelei

Hi Tony

The table is a bit larger than the depth, usually the reverse is preferred. I would try to compare some well cut Princess in person before viewing this one, so you have a base of comparison. Try Jareds if you have a store closeby and view their AGS0 Peerless Princess. Also as Stone says, an ASET scope would be a valuable tool to take with you when you view this diamond.
Thanks Lorelei,
Yes, I''ve read that the table should be smaller than depth. Although as I said before, I guess I need to see it first - ASET in hand would help even more.

As I''ve been lurking on PS, I''ve always seen great feedback from you and Stone-cold - so am lucky to have you two respond to my topic!!! :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are glad to help!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya, for a 2.2c with only a lenght of 6.9mm is on the small side.

Which city are you in? I don''t think Aust has Jared''s though but Holloway''s Diamond, of the Holloway Cut Adviser and Idealscope fame, is in Melbourne, maybe worth a visit?

Also, when you look at the stone, try seeing it in different lighting conditions, out of the jewelry store''s lighting and see how it performs.

Good luck.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 5:59:22 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
ya, for a 2.2c with only a lenght of 6.9mm is on the small side.

Which city are you in? I don''t think Aust has Jared''s though but Holloway''s Diamond, of the Holloway Cut Adviser and Idealscope fame, is in Melbourne, maybe worth a visit?

Also, when you look at the stone, try seeing it in different lighting conditions, out of the jewelry store''s lighting and see how it performs.

Good luck.
No they don''t, I forgot this was an Australian purchaser. If you are near Canterbury Melbourne then Holloway Diamonds would be the place to go.

tonym

Rough_Rock
Quick update.
Yet to see the first option I listed above, but not holding my breath given the extra large spread of it.
I saw two diamonds today, which I had seen previously. They both seem like good options with one I'm starting to prefer, although I wish it was a touch larger in measurements.

Obviously it's hard to go off just the basic stats on a gia cert, but interested to hear your comments:

- Option 1
- 2.05 F / VS2
- 6.94 x 6.87 x 5.01
- Depth 72.9% , Table 71%
- Girdle Slightly Thick to Thick
- Polish : Excellent
- Symmetry : Very Good
- Nil Fluorescence
- Only has a few small inclusions marked on the certificate. Very clean plot diagram. Had trouble finding anything with a loupe.
- The number of facets drawn on the bottom was less then drawn for option 2. Not sure if that has any bearing on brilliance of a diamond...

- Option 2
- 2.03 F / VS2
- 7.02 x 7.00 x 5.03
- Depth 72% , Table 69%
- Girdle Medium to Thick
- Polish : Very Good
- Symmetry : Excellent
- Nil Fluorescence
- Has quite a few clouds marked in the centre, and quite a few feather markings in one of the corners. As well as an indented natural.

So.. The good thing is that these diamonds are available locally, and both at quite reasonable prices. Option 1 is actually a few thousand dollars cheaper, and I'm pretty sure I like the look - took the diamond "for a walk" and saw it in various light conditions.

Other options involve getting a diamond sourced from overseas, although some places give me the option of a fully refundable deposit if I'm not happy. I guess the only reason to go for something overseas if I got for a bit bigger (2.1 or 2.2, and maybe even VS1).

Just wanting to get your opinions on how the above numbers read like,
and also wondering whether I would notice much difference between a diamond with LxW around 7mm vs a diamond with LxW around 7.3mm - as I really need to come to the point where I decide "yep, 2ct around 7mm is more than enough". I started at 2ct as a base, then I keep getting stuck "maybe I should get something a touch bigger" - but I guess that a never ending cycle! :)

Thanks again,

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately it isn''t really possible to tell you anything accurate about the potential of a princess cut diamond ''by the numbers'' because there are too many variations in cutting style for princess cut diamonds... two sets of crown angle and pavilion angle measurements, too many variations in facet structure, number of chevron facets, etc.

Here is some reading which you might find helpful regarding princess cut diamonds:

The matter of depth in a princess cut from PS Journal

Numbers and perception, the case of square cut diamonds from PS Journal

For this reason, I''ve pretty much stopped looking at GIA graded princess cut diamonds all together and instead opt for princess cut diamonds graded by the AGS Laboratory since they at least provide a Light Performance rating - which starts things off on the right foot, for me it just cuts down on the shipping costs of bringing princess cut diamonds in for a "look see" and increases the odds that I might like the diamond - understand, it''s not an assurance, just a good start.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 12:10:32 PM
Author: Todd Gray
Unfortunately it isn't really possible to tell you anything accurate about the potential of a princess cut diamond 'by the numbers' because there are too many variations in cutting style for princess cut diamonds... two sets of crown angle and pavilion angle measurements, too many variations in facet structure, number of chevron facets, etc.

Here is some reading which you might find helpful regarding princess cut diamonds:

The matter of depth in a princess cut from PS Journal

Numbers and perception, the case of square cut diamonds from PS Journal

For this reason, I've pretty much stopped looking at GIA graded princess cut diamonds all together and instead opt for princess cut diamonds graded by the AGS Laboratory since they at least provide a Light Performance rating - which starts things off on the right foot, for me it just cuts down on the shipping costs of bringing princess cut diamonds in for a 'look see' and increases the odds that I might like the diamond - understand, it's not an assurance, just a good start.
HI Todd,

I really liked Paul's commentary on spread in princess cuts the conclusions were valid, however the calculation method is inconsistant from one paper to the next and I think there is a simpler and more accurate ways of comparing spread in a round to a princess without using "Math Wizardry".

In the first article link Paul calculated a depth of a princess as 62.13% specifically 4.5/(8.19 + 6)/2. Or Depth / Average of (Diagonal and Length)

in the second article he used

Depth / Average of (Length and Width) (He didn't use diagonal in this example and came up with a higher depth percentage) (Example 2)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither calculation methods are accurate for comparing depth percentages for the purposes of a spread/carat weight comparison between a round and a square shape, however the method in the second link is more consistant with that of round measurements and it would be preferred.

The problem with the average diameter in a round calculation is that it isn't truly a weighted average of all diameters of the stones it only considers two distances, whereas it really should consider all diameters. This is a reasonable assumption to save time however because most round diamonds are really close to being perfectly symmetrical so taking the longest point and 45 degrees from this point is a reasonable assumption.

However doing this for a square or rectangular shape is more incorrect as the diameters can be quite different depending on which points are taken and the weighted average of all diameters does not equal the simple average of the length and width or any other two distances one may choose.

Instead of using average diameter I would much prefer a direct surface area comparison which is easy to do in very near round and very near square shapes.

SA (Princess) = Length * Width
SA (Round) = 3.14159 * (Average Diameter/2)*(Average Diameter/2)

If one uses surface area as a comparison one would find that on comparing two CBI diamonds

=1&shapes[]=2&price_from=0&price_to=200,000&carat_from=1.2&carat_to=1.2&color_grade_from=1&color_grade_to=24&clarity_grade_from=12&clarity_grade_to=10&show_infinity=1&show_cut_grade[]=1&show_cut_grade[]=2&show_cut_grade[]=3&show_cut_grade[]=All&Submit=++++Search++++&limit=50:2o8h065d]http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=diamond-search&sort=&order=&offset=&scope=global&search=1&shapes[]=1&shapes[]=2&price_from=0&price_to=200,000&carat_from=1.2&carat_to=1.2&color_grade_from=1&color_grade_to=24&clarity_grade_from=12&clarity_grade_to=10&show_infinity=1&show_cut_grade[]=1&show_cut_grade[]=2&show_cut_grade[]=3&show_cut_grade[]=All&Submit=++++Search++++&limit=50

=1&shapes[]=2&price_from=0&price_to=200,000&carat_from=1.2&carat_to=1.2&color_grade_from=1&color_grade_to=24&clarity_grade_from=12&clarity_grade_to=10&show_infinity=1&show_cut_grade[]=1&show_cut_grade[]=2&show_cut_grade[]=3&show_cut_grade[]=All&Submit=++++Search++++&limit=50:2o8h065d]http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=diamond-search&sort=&order=&offset=&scope=global&search=1&shapes[]=1&shapes[]=2&price_from=0&price_to=200,000&carat_from=1.2&carat_to=1.2&color_grade_from=1&color_grade_to=24&clarity_grade_from=12&clarity_grade_to=10&show_infinity=1&show_cut_grade[]=1&show_cut_grade[]=2&show_cut_grade[]=3&show_cut_grade[]=All&Submit=++++Search++++&limit=50

Round Diamond 1.2 Carats (Thin to Thick Girdle) Surface Area = 37.1 mm squared
Princess Cut 1.2 Carats (Thin to Medium Girdle) Surface Area = 32.78 mm squared

The princess in this example is 11% smaller than the round for the same carat weight.

However even other well cut princess diamonds like the WF ACA princess. http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/whiteflash-aca-princess-cut-diamond-2270399.htm#

1.192 Carats has a Surface Area = 33.35 mm Squared.

So now even for a slightly lower carat weight the princess is only 10% less spread than the same carat weight round.

I feel that a direct comparison of surface areas will serve these comparisons much better than explaining the different ways of considering depth.

One could readily find using this method that other princess cuts, optimized for weight retention rather than light performance with more shallow crowns (Depths in the low 70% for example) the spread differences between a round and princess then becomes even less. The differences would also be smaller if I used a round with exact Tolk depth of 61.5% instead of one in this example at 61.2%

tonym

Rough_Rock
Hi Todd,
Yes, I agree it is very difficult to buy a diamond sight unseen - particularly only going by a GIA cert. I''m actually yet to see anyone offer me a diamond with an AGS cert here in Australia - of course international vendors have AGS available.

I think my next step is to really focus on how to assess diamonds seen in person, and potentially get an ASET scope. That way I can assess the options available locally to me, as the options I have seen do look good on paper, and look great to my untrained eye in person.

and Chunky, thanks for all that information. That info links back to my original question regarding the 2.12 princess, and whether it is too spready or not. I will still take a look at the 2.12, but it most definitely will have a shallow crown as you noted.

Cheers.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 5:00:50 PM
Author: tonym
Hi Todd,
Yes, I agree it is very difficult to buy a diamond sight unseen - particularly only going by a GIA cert. I''m actually yet to see anyone offer me a diamond with an AGS cert here in Australia - of course international vendors have AGS available.

I think my next step is to really focus on how to assess diamonds seen in person, and potentially get an ASET scope. That way I can assess the options available locally to me, as the options I have seen do look good on paper, and look great to my untrained eye in person.

and Chunky, thanks for all that information. That info links back to my original question regarding the 2.12 princess, and whether it is too spready or not. I will still take a look at the 2.12, but it most definitely will have a shallow crown as you noted.

Cheers.
Tony,

You might consider Jogia they provide ASET and video on their crossfire and signature diamonds http://www.jogiadiamonds.com.au/diamonds/crossfire-list.php.
Also you may also consider buying from a PS vendor and shipping to australia that is possible as well. If you purchase from HPD or GOG they can provide a video of your potential choice as well.

tonym

Rough_Rock
Hey Chunky,
Yeh I have spoken to Jogia. I would''ve been glad if they had a 2ct princess, as they provide lots of info - but they would need to get one in, which isn''t that hard a task I guess.

The 2.05ct option I listed above is looking rather appealing.. It''s at a very good price, very clean VS2, and I think it sparkles very nicely - might be worth me getting an ASET and making a better assessment though.

Cheers,
Tony.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2010 6:13:14 AM
Hey Chunky,
Yeh I have spoken to Jogia. I would've been glad if they had a 2ct princess, as they provide lots of info - but they would need to get one in, which isn't that hard a task I guess.

The 2.05ct option I listed above is looking rather appealing.. It's at a very good price, very clean VS2, and I think it sparkles very nicely - might be worth me getting an ASET and making a better assessment though.

Cheers,
Tony.
It might take a while if you wanted a branded Jogia stone that they don't have available, but you could ask what they have in the pipeline. If you purchased an ASET scope, it would be of real benefit in helping you analyze the 2.05 ct.

tonym

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei,
They didn''t have anything in the pipe, I was told to review their international stock list on their website - and they could then bring the diamond in.
Time is slipping away, and I would really like to get a diamond sorted within the next 2 weeks - which is why an overseas buy could be a bit risky. Obviously I don''t want to settle for an average diamond just because it available locally - that is why I''m continuing to view local stock to try and get my eye tuned into what to look for. While there isn''t much local stock in my cut/clarity/price/size - I think it''s still valid looking at diamonds of other specs.

One thing I''ve noticed is that some diamond merchants are as bad as used car salesmen. No offence to the people on PS that sell diamonds, as I''m sure it is a completely different story dealing with you. :)

Thanks again!

tonym

Rough_Rock
Hey again all,

I've had a 2.02 f vs1 offered to me by a few different local Australian suppliers - the diamond is located with a cutter in Mumbai.
It's a rather good price (around the $22k US mark).
- 2.02 F/VS1
- EX / EX / Nil Fluorescence
- 7.07 x 7.23 x 5.06
- Table 69% , Depth 70%
- Girdle - Thin to Medium

One of the suppliers was a bit concerned that the inclusion was black carbon deposit/cloud, which is why it is on the cheaper side for a 2.02 f vs1.

I was sent a picture of the diamond, with two areas highlighted - area in the table where the clouds are, and area right on the edge where a feather is listed. While the supplier that had concerns about the black clouds has now said that is no longer an issue after speaking with the cutter and reviewing photos, he is more concerned about the feather which is right on the edge - as he feels it is a risk that it could 'flake off' after years of wear.

On paper it sounds fine, it's a VS1 (I've been looking mainly at VS2s due to budget), although am not sure whether I'll have to worry about the feather 'flaking off' for the rest of my life..

Interested to hear your comments re the feather right on the edge (small line on the GIA plotting cert shown right on the edge) , and whether or not anything can be seen from the photo attached. I understand the photo would prob be rather useless, but worth attaching as it's better than just the gia cert details.

Cheers,
Tony.

tonym_2.02fvs1.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 8:15:03 PM
Hey again all,

I''ve had a 2.02 f vs1 offered to me by a few different local Australian suppliers - the diamond is located with a cutter in Mumbai.
It''s a rather good price (around the $22k US mark).
- 2.02 F/VS1
- EX / EX / Nil Fluorescence
- 7.07 x 7.23 x 5.06
- Table 69% , Depth 70%
- Girdle - Thin to Medium

One of the suppliers was a bit concerned that the inclusion was black carbon deposit/cloud, which is why it is on the cheaper side for a 2.02 f vs1.

I was sent a picture of the diamond, with two areas highlighted - area in the table where the clouds are, and area right on the edge where a feather is listed. While the supplier that had concerns about the black clouds has now said that is no longer an issue after speaking with the cutter and reviewing photos, he is more concerned about the feather which is right on the edge - as he feels it is a risk that it could ''flake off'' after years of wear.

On paper it sounds fine, it''s a VS1 (I''ve been looking mainly at VS2s due to budget), although am not sure whether I''ll have to worry about the feather ''flaking off'' for the rest of my life..

Interested to hear your comments re the feather right on the edge (small line on the GIA plotting cert shown right on the edge) , and whether or not anything can be seen from the photo attached. I understand the photo would prob be rather useless, but worth attaching as it''s better than just the gia cert details.

Cheers,
Tony.
Post the certificate, I don''t see anything it is very unusal for a VS1 to have noticeable inclusions even under magnification.
What would concern me more is the cut and for that you''ll need an ASET.

tonym

Rough_Rock
Ok, cert attached.
It may be hard to review due to the quality of the image..

You can see the crystals and clouds plotted towards to the top left of the table area.
The plot from beneath shows the feather very close to the bottom right edge (running parallel to the right edge).

Won''t be able to get an ASET for this diamond.

Cheers.

tonymgia2.02fvs1.JPG

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 8:42:55 PM
Ok, cert attached.
It may be hard to review due to the quality of the image..

You can see the crystals and clouds plotted towards to the top left of the table area.
The plot from beneath shows the feather very close to the bottom right edge (running parallel to the right edge).

Won''t be able to get an ASET for this diamond.

Cheers.
No concerns over the clarity once again VS1 will 99.9% of the time be eye clean, epsecially not worried about a feather in a VS1. Clarity plot is nothing unusual and not something to worry about I doubt even under 10X microscope it will not be easy to find those inclusions.

If you aren''t going to be able to use your handheld ASET, I''d say you are never going to be confident about the cut maybe it matters to you maybe it doesn''t.

If it were me I''d import this one http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7011/. AGS0, nice ASET, video comparison, lifetime upgrade policy etc.

10% GST, no duty, and minimal freight, fees, and shipping costs seems well worth it especially if you pay by a wire. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/australian-wanting-advice.124584/

Good-Luck,
CCl

tonym

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chunky,
I was really worried when I heard that the feather near the edge could flake off. Obviouslty I wouldn''t want to pick a diamond that had any structural "risk". It sounds like this is nothing to worry about - well I guess there is always a risk of diamond chipping, but the feather shouldn''t really increase that risk (guess it''s more luck than anything :))

Yes I had seen that option on Good Old Gold - although was swayed a bit by the Medium fluoresence. Again probably not that important, but it''s simply my preference to get something with nil.
In reality, picking out a diamond locally and purchasing it is my ideal scenario - I do have a few options whch I''m still considering. I dunno, just a bit more romantic then buying over the net :) ..

But I did want to get a feel for the 2.02 f vs1, as one of the brokers is a very trusted source - and wanted to make sure the feather was not a deal breaker if I do decide to pursue that option a bit further.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2010 9:32:38 PM
Thanks Chunky,
I was really worried when I heard that the feather near the edge could flake off. Obviouslty I wouldn't want to pick a diamond that had any structural 'risk'. It sounds like this is nothing to worry about - well I guess there is always a risk of diamond chipping, but the feather shouldn't really increase that risk (guess it's more luck than anything :))

Yes I had seen that option on Good Old Gold - although was swayed a bit by the Medium fluoresence. Again probably not that important, but it's simply my preference to get something with nil.
In reality, picking out a diamond locally and purchasing it is my ideal scenario - I do have a few options whch I'm still considering. I dunno, just a bit more romantic then buying over the net :) ..

But I did want to get a feel for the 2.02 f vs1, as one of the brokers is a very trusted source - and wanted to make sure the feather was not a deal breaker if I do decide to pursue that option a bit further.
Tony what I would do, is make the sale final on this diamond checking out with an independant appraiser, you can't tell from the clarity plot if an inclusion in going to pose a durability risk and the stone is probably ok at VS1 but with feathers near vulnerable corners of a Princess, I would want an expert to look at it before I committed. I wouldn't be as concerned with a round but Princess can be more prone to chipping anyway so I wouldn't want anything that could make this more of a possibility. If it checks out then great but I would get a second opinion for sure.

tonym

Rough_Rock
Thanks again Lorelei.

Looks like I''m back to square one in my search, as it doesn''t look like those options would be suitable.

At least I have more clarity in regards to what I want!
2ct+ , F/VS1, Ex/Ex, GIA.

I do still have the 2.05 F/Vs1 EX/VG option available to me locally, which is at a good price, but need to decide on that pretty quick..

Cheers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2010 7:49:39 AM
Thanks again Lorelei.

Looks like I''m back to square one in my search, as it doesn''t look like those options would be suitable.

At least I have more clarity in regards to what I want!
2ct+ , F/VS1, Ex/Ex, GIA.

I do still have the 2.05 F/Vs1 EX/VG option available to me locally, which is at a good price, but need to decide on that pretty quick..

Cheers.
Not to worry Tony, the right diamond will present itself!!!

tonym

Rough_Rock
I''ve had many different diamond options presented to me , on paper, by local importers. I think if I''m going to get something brought in from overseas, my best bet is to use a trusted PS vendor - that supplies pics and ASET, and maybe even an AGS triple zero could be a good option!

Otherwise, I still have an option locally which is the 2.05 F/VS2. I don''t have an ASET scope myself, but I guess I need to use my eyes to assess the diamond myself.. It looks good, but can I do better is the big question.

The GOG option looks OK as mentioned by Stonecold. I have been hesitant about choosing a diamond with fluorescence, but may have to reconsider as there are a number of options with fluoresence that look OK.
Whiteflash also have a few options but they are G colour. Want to keep it to an F, even though there is no real difference.

The hunt continues. Either I commit to the local option asap, or I keep looking over the next few months and end up in a mental asylum going through all this data!! :)

Cheers.

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/photos-of-a-rb-with-strong-blue-fluorescence-t138766.html

This thread has some excellent photos of a diamond with strong fluorescence.

tonym

Rough_Rock
Thanks Firestone, great link.
I think that confirms that I do not want a diamond with fluorescence. although faint or medium shouldn''t be a dealbreaker i suppose!

my mother actually asked me about my search "are there any blue white diamonds? they are the best".. funny how now fluorescence commands a lower price, compared to back however many years ago..

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 6:10:49 AM
I think that confirms that I do not want a diamond with fluorescence. although faint or medium shouldn''t be a dealbreaker i suppose!

my mother actually asked me about my search ''are there any blue white diamonds? they are the best''.. funny how now fluorescence commands a lower price, compared to back however many years ago..
Fluorescence goes in and out of favour, your Mother was probably thinking of the time they were called blue whites!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 6:10:49 AM

I think that confirms that I do not want a diamond with fluorescence. although faint or medium shouldn't be a dealbreaker i suppose!

my mother actually asked me about my search 'are there any blue white diamonds? they are the best'.. funny how now fluorescence commands a lower price, compared to back however many years ago..

The diamond in that thread has Stong Blue Fluorescence, which is only activated in bright, direct sunlight. Of course it depends on the individual diamond, but faint or medium fluorescence should not produce this effect, only SB and VSB.

I just don't want you to miss out on a great stone because of myths and misconceptions about fluorescence. With medium and faint fluorescence, I would be surprised if you would see any noticeable "blueing" effect.

And, as an added advantage, you could tell your mother that you did find a "blue white" diamond, although that term is no longer allowed in the trade.

tonym

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sara and Lorelei,
You are right, maybe it''s not worth removing a potential diamond just because of fluorescence.

For instance, the GOG option that CCL posted, has medium fluorescence, but is an AGS0 , and has a good ASET (so I''m told :) )

I suppose I need to understand what the real impact of medium fluorescence would be - e.g. in high UV daylight (very high UV down here in Australia), as well as other situations. I don''t want fluorescence to be something I look back on in a few years and say "hmmmphh.. I really should''ve chosen something without fluorescence..."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results