shape
carat
color
clarity

princess cut question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

repete7

Rough_Rock
Buying a princess cut 1.71 depth 67% table78%.vs1 f color.my question is should you be able to see shadows from facets.is this normal.to me it looks like inclusions.price 11'100.thanks.

repete7

Rough_Rock
thanks alot for the info.i looked at it outside in the sun,it's perfect...

repete7

Rough_Rock
no...no shadows

repete7

Rough_Rock
GIA cert..I'm looking at it under indoor lightabout a foot away.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Bingo!
smile.gif
It is your own shadows then.Does it still bother you?

repete7

Rough_Rock
when you move the ring up and down,side to side the "shadows"dissapear.also if i look at it outside it looks alot better.is it possible it's picking up reflections from around it?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Good. Do you see any changes with the "shadows" if you get closer/far from the stone?Frankly, I've never heard of shadows from facets... In pear, oval or marquise shapes one can see a bow-tie effect but not in princess.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by repete7:
is it possible it's picking up reflections from around it?
It is not only possible, it is what really happens. When you view the diamond from a short distance it picks up the colors of your hears, clothes, etc. Try this simple experiment. Take a white paper sheet and make a small hole. Look at your diamond through this hole. Would you be able to see the shadows?

repete7

Rough_Rock
I guess i'm too picky.the shadow to me looks like an inclusion.i know it's not because the stone is a vs1.I think I should get over it.I think I'm driving myself and the jeweler nuts.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Repete7,Could it be a reflection of your own head? From what distance do you observe the diamond?The price sounds about right. In the Internet you could get it a bit cheaper. Does it have a lab report?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Repete7, no wonder you're picky when you spent quite a few bucks.If it bothers you, I'd recommend to check the stone with knowledgeable independent gemologist. Or send the diamond to David Atlas ( www.gemappraisers.com ) who is the expert in fancy shapes.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
U41f, 60.6% depth is not too shallow. The table and total depth belong to 2B AGA class.There are other factors though that can affect appearance of the diamond (e.g. crown and pavilion)Usually princess cut is deeper than round (see www.drostes.com/princess-depth.html ). On the other hand deeper diamond looks smaller for its weight.Reflection of the observers head is not necessary a negative factor. For instance, one can see pleasant dark arrows in Hearts and Arrows round diamonds because of this effect.

u41f

Rough_Rock
Leonid,I just got a princess and it seems to have shadow too. When I pus on a white paper there seems to be four dark spot on each side of diamond. But on a black cloth in the tube the shadow disappear. After follow your instruction shadow seems to disappear. However, I still not very comfortable because the diamond is kind of shallow.
It's a 0.66CT depth 60.6% and Table 74%. GIA. Do you think the depth could contribute to this shadow too?.Thanks in advance.
U41F

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results