shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing Online vs. Brick and Mortar @ 2 carats

Ichinichi

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Through my PS readings I have observed that there is strong advocacy on PS to buy online rather than at a brick and mortar store. However, now that I am on the market for a diamond, I am finding that at the weight I'm looking (high 190s to 200) the prices online are consistently more than in store by 7-10%.

I also got a chance to look at a Feb 2010 rapaport sheet and the difference between a G/VS1 1.99 ($8800/ct = $17512) and 2.00 ($13300/ct = $26600) was $9088 (!).

So my questions are:
1. Am I looking at the wrong sites? Or does the pricing advantage only apply to rounds?
2. What about buying out of private collections (secondary market)?
3. How will going from 200pts down to high 190s affect the price?

What I'm looking for:

Shape: Radiant
Weight: high 190s
Color: F or better
Clarity: VS2 or better
Polish: VG-EX
Symm: VG-EX
Fluor: None
Table: 60-65%
Depth: 60-65%
Crown: 11-16%
Ratio: 1.15-1.25
Girdle: Thin-Slightly Thick
Culet: None
Cert: GIA or AGS

Best quote I have is 19500 from a B+M store (GIA,200pt,VS2,F). Best online quote I've gotten is just south of 22000.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Are you certain the stones that are proposed by B&M stores are GIA/AGS certified? What about the online stones you're comparing them with? That may explain why B&M seem cheaper if their stones are graded by a "softer" lab like EGL compared to GIA/AGS that are more strict.

You may be comparing apples to pears!

Ichinichi

Rough_Rock
Frontrunner is GIA. I won't consider a stone unless it is GIA or AGS. I have a copy of the frontrunner GIA cert on my fridge with the quote written on it.

Great question. I'll update the OP.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Happy to hear that you are only considering AGS or GIA stones. I'm not sure why you are finding stones to be more costly online. What about the cut, are you comparing ideal cuts to ideal cuts? I'm only curious if you are noticing the price difference with all the stones you have inquired about or is this limited to the stone that you currently considering? Could you post the specs from the GIA report, that might help us determine why you are seeing this happen.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to mention that if you can find a stone just under the 2ct mark, they will be a better value. The price jumps at 1ct 1.5ct and then again 2ct and so on. Cutters try to retain as much of the weight as possible to get in just over the mark, thus netting more money for the stone.

Ichinichi

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1332110675|3151610 said:
I forgot to mention that if you can find a stone just under the 2ct mark, they will be a better value. The price jumps at 1ct 1.5ct and then again 2ct and so on. Cutters try to retain as much of the weight as possible to get in just over the mark, thus netting more money for the stone.

The price drop at the 200 mark is encouraging to read.

I'm betting that, given we're not in a hurry (within 6 months), we can wait for that perfect 199er :rodent:. The 19500 has VG polish, G symmetry and 68 depth. Everything else is to spec as in the OP. The quotes I am getting from online are further away from spec (Table > 70, Depth > 70, fluor, thick girdle, etc) and cost more.

What price difference might I expect at 1.99 weight, assuming I satisfy all my other specs?
Can anyone recommend a broker? I know what I want, I just don't have access to the supply channels.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think for online sourcing you should just use the search engine on PS which will give you an idea of pricing through PS vendors. But I think you will find JA, WF, IDJ, ERD, and GOG to be your best bets. I would contact each of them directly though and see what they can get for you at the best price.

https://www.pricescope.com/featured-sponsors/

Ichinichi

Rough_Rock
Sarahbear621|1332117608|3151711 said:
I think for online sourcing you should just use the search engine on PS which will give you an idea of pricing through PS vendors. But I think you will find JA, WF, IDJ, ERD, and GOG to be your best bets. I would contact each of them directly though and see what they can get for you at the best price.

https://www.pricescope.com/featured-sponsors/

I've tried to use the PS search, but PS search returns no stones.

I have reached out to JA, WF and GOG. What are these others? Are there no private sellers? or brokers?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd buy in person then.

BUT I would invest 50 bucks in an ASET viewer which will make picking a nice radiant a much easier task as it shows you light return. Here's a tutorial and other information about the tool. http://www.lexusindia.in/products/gb-aset-scope.aspx

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results