shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing on emeralds for custom ring

jhall557

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I are designing our engagement ring with a local jeweler. We would really like to do an emerald (I know that's controversial for an engagement ring but we've thought through the pros and cons, I promise.)

This is what the jeweler quoted us for different sizes/grades of emerald. Are these fair prices? The jump in price for the 8x6 from A to AA seems really drastic to me but I'm new to this so I'm not sure what to think...

7x5mm A Emerald Cut Emerald $1895
7x5mm AA Emerald Cut Emerald $3595

8x6mm A Emerald Cut Emerald $2977
8x6mm AA Emerald Cut Emerald $6288

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the treatment?
What is the level of treatment?
What are the criterias for A, AA, etc? I am asking because there is no standardized grading for such terminology. It’ll vary from store to store.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Is that just an estimate? Stones have individual characteristics and you would need to see them in person.

jhall557

Rough_Rock
Is that just an estimate? Stones have individual characteristics and you would need to see them in person.
Yes, just an estimate. We're going to look at the stones in person but the rise in cost of $3k for the 8x6 from A to AA just seems like a lot to me...

jhall557

Rough_Rock
What is the treatment?
What is the level of treatment?
What are the criterias for A, AA, etc? I am asking because there is no standardized grading for such terminology. It’ll vary from store to store.

All good questions for me to ask! Thank you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I agree with @chrono that there isn't any definition for A, AA, etc, so make sure that you get all that info before committing. In general, I'd advise buying from a trusted vendor rather than a local jeweler, since lots of them don't have access to quality colored stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is that these are likely from a large commercial source such as Stuller, which sells in masses, hence a generic A, AA, AAA etc grading.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never buy a colored stone without looking at it. Plus emeralds are mined from various regions of the world that affect price. On top of that treatments and quality of cut are significant factors that can not be assessed on paper.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
I'd stay away from anybody who is grading emerald or rubies with A, AA or such. That's like describing a car by 2x6meter or 2.5x7meter. Nonsense and only there to cheat you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results