shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing going up?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jedinite

Rough_Rock
I have been browsing the diamond market for a little while waiting for the right time to buy a ring for my girlfriend but I''m affraid the prices have gone up a great deal since 6 months ago. Was there something that happened in the diamond market to make the price jump up nearly 50% in the last half year or is this just typical of diamond pricing? I know the deBeers cartel owns the market so the price can be easily inflated by them. Now does anyone know if I should expect the prices to keep climbing or is this just a trend that will break and bring the prices back to a more reasonable rate?

I am looking to get an engagement ring in the next 4-5 months so any words of advice in terms of looking for the best pricing would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I''m planning on getting the Michael B Trois with a 1-1.5 ct round diamond. I know last summer prices for a decent 1.5 is about how much it costs today for a 1ct. In my mind this is a little outragous.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Jedinite, welcome.

Here are the last stats. (See also https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/price-hike-a-hype.15538/)

1_3_F_H_VVS2_SI1_April06.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2006 6:07:19 PM
Author:jedinite

Was there something that happened in the diamond market to make the price jump up nearly 50% in the last half year or is this just typical of diamond pricing?

No... 50%? No way. Something else must be amiss. E.g. is the quote for diamond & setting? If so, it could be a pricing decision taken by the designer, or some inconsistency between distributors pricing the same ring etc. - that is allot more likely than such a big jump in diamond prices: if there was one, you would have heard: 5% is more likely than 50%
38.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, some items are shooting throught he roof, especially larger fine made and high quality diamonds...
But in my opinion, in the 1 to 1.5 carat range, you should be safe for the next 4-5 months.

That does not apply to fancy colored diamonds..., the sky is the limit on these pupies!!!!

Good luck,

jedinite

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your replies especially the one with the graph showing the pricing trend over the past few years.

I don''t remember exactly how much a 1ct diamond was going for last year but I do remember finding pretty good quality diamond quotes for 1.5ct or slightly above for the same price as a 1ct this year. I have seen prices around 10-13K for a very nice 1ct this year and I remember searching back in August of last year and finding 1.5ct for 12-15K this year I see them no lower than around 18K. That''s not a 50% jump but far more than 5%. I''ll keep my eyes peeled for a good diamond as I am aiming to spend 15K for a Michael B Trois with as big and nice a diamond as I can afford. It would be a shame if the diamond I got was only slightly more than the actually ring it sat in.

~ $6900 for the ring, spoke to Michael''s wife today. That''s without negotiating, I hope there''s room to move.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 7:51:36 PM
Author: jedinite

~ $6900 for the ring, spoke to Michael''s wife today. That''s without negotiating, I hope there''s room to move.

ooo, I love Michael b. Please keep us posted and post pics if/when you get it
1.gif

jedinite

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 9:30:06 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 4/10/2006 7:51:36 PM
Author: jedinite

ooo, I love Michael b. Please keep us posted and post pics if/when you get it
1.gif
Will do. I just called about the ring today and I found out that you basically have to get the ring replaced if you intend on getting a larger stone later on. They can either take the value of the current ring and reimberse the difference on the newer sized ring. So I guess I must try to find a good deal on a 1.5ct then.

Has anyone purchased from UnitedDiamonds.com or Abazias.com? They both have similar priced stones for what I''m looking for and give a better discount if I wire transfer money to them but that is a lot to wire transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results