shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing for large tahitian earrings

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I have spent the past year obsessing about pearls and have a pretty good idea about the answer to this question but was hoping for some feedback.

So I know about bricks and mortar stores and how expensive they are, and I have spent many many hours checking out prices online to confirm the difference. The worst (most expensive) B&M shops are where I work at the 'Paris end' of a major Melbourne city street, where we are surrounded by Gucci, Prada etc. So not my first, second or any kind of option for pearl shopping. But today I made the mistake of walking into a store (not one or the above or even an international brand) where I found tahitian pearl earrings that were fabulous.
They are over 13mm, and a bright blue green. I don't know the name of the finding but they hang with loops that are around a couple of mm thick and have small diamonds inlaid. The Tahitians are mirror, no blemishes that I could see, and the colour and size are extraordinary. They are a good match. They are real and not colour enhanced. No overtones as far as I can tell though.

If you assume I am not a pearl newbie and that the Tahitians are an accurate version of what I described, would you pay just over USD $2K? The price seemed not entirely crazy and the closest example I could find online from PP would indicate the price is not bad. Am I kidding myself?

Thanks in advance,
Fiona

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Fiona, am I correct in guessing they are Jan Logan earrings?

I have a couple of pieces from her and I have always been happy with them. I find her designs are sleek and modern and classic. It's hard to find something that is as good quality for a similar price.

If they are the ones I am thinking of, then it's probably a fair price. Paying "retail" anywhere means they will be slightly more expensive than buying online but the one thing I have learned over the past few years is that it's better to pay a few hundred more and be totally happy than almost happy and a little richer. I like the way this finding sits. I would buy those earrings.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
You are right! What a legend you are.

http://www.janlogan.com/251322

And what a tremendous enabler :). In contrast, my husband is horrified.

The Jan Logan shop is in my building and I never go in but today I saw some wonderful Tahitians......

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion, bright blue/green 13mm Tahitian earrings with diamonds are worth the price! I'm assuming there are non/minimal imperfections? caro40 - Your sleuthing skills are amazing!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Those earrings are gorgeous :love: :love: :love: I certainly would not mind spending the extra money for those, especially since you already know you love them!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, one is paying the price of a "designer" tag for that pair of earrings.

The earring part may be custom-made, however, I managed to find similar style on KGH Jewelry's website:

http://www.kgh.co.il/4196

And 12-13mm AAA Tahitian loose pearl is 305 USD each at Pearl Paradise:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-58-loose-round-tahitian-pearl.aspx

Although I do not know how much the earring findings are likely to cost, however, judging by the small amount of diamonds in the design as seen on KGH's website, I doubt if they would cost more than 400 USD.

Therefore, I would ask PP to make me a pair and save myself some money, as KGH is one of PP's supplier of clasps and findings.

DK :))

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
As you are in Australia why don't you contact fellow forum member Katbran who may be able to supply the same at a keener price. No worries about tax and stuff then either

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all. Yes I'm afraid my husband wouldn't even talk to me when I raised it last night so if I get anything it will need to be at a much lower price. Have had bad luck with vendors outside Australia which limits my options but will try something else. Dang. Husband has a point though, I have been excessive this year and have adjusted my sense of money so that I think 'oh that's not so much' when I never would have considered buying $2K earrings as recently as last year! Making up for lost time....

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Caro,
I think it makes a difference which vendors outside of Australia you deal with. I think you'd be in good hands with Pearl Paradise, which many of us here on Pricescope have dealt with. I don't live in the US either and so have to be careful about return periods, customs, shipping charges, etc. Pearl Paradise has always looked after me well.
The other good thing about PP is that they will source findings for you if you send them a pic.
Can't hurt to ask. And just think what a deal you'll be getting on the earrings compared to the designer price!

Keep us posted!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the UK and cannot recommend PP highly enough after a number of very happy and satisfactory purchases from them.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I was pretty certain i knew the earrings you are after. They are gorgeous and I have looked at them myself. I think in the end it comes down to whether you want an imitation of these earrings or these exact earrings. The finding on them is very specific. There is no loop, no dangle, they are very static. I have seen it at Kailis, Autore and Paspaley but never at cheaper pearl retailers so that leads me to think its an expensive finding.

It really comes down to whether you are prepared to pay for what you want. You could try with PP, but even though you see pictures of the pearls, sometimes they are not what you anticipate in real life. Having said that I have always been thrilled with my purchases from them but I have never gone custom. It doesn't hurt to ask the question. Send them the link and see what you can get.

The other thing to factor is the difference in exchange rate and tax payable. They would have to come in at under $1700 USD To beat The Jan Logan price.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What stunning earrings! Oh mymy. :love: You would wear those forever....and that is a long time.... :bigsmile:

That said, any chance of a discount? Could you ask? Is there a Valentines Day sale coming up?

cheers--Sharon

caro40

Shiny_Rock
miss kittycat I am totally with you. I want them very much but have spent $$$$$ on pearls this year and pretty much have some kind of problem it seems. My tolerant husband is so disappointed in me. So yes I'd rather buy in person - and buy these ones - but have to just visit them for now. And hope husband has some change of mind :).

Sharon I did ask for a discount, but it's still over $2200 AUD.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
can we PM on this forum?

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
No PM on this forum unfortunately. But you can on the other forum!

I spent a fortune on jewelery last year too. But it was a big year... Lots of big events and milestones.... I feel your pain!!

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Yes I turned 40 this time last year (I must stop referring to 2013 as 'this year' and realise where we are...) and it seems my mid life crisis was a pearls one. Catherine Cardellini has been my main dealer for my addiction but Imogene at Clifton Hill has provided me my two super fabulous Tahitian and SS mix ropes.

This time last year I had no idea pearls were so fabulous. Then I found out and went nuts....
ss_tahitian_2.jpg

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lovely rope..lots of the deeper gold. I do love the mixed ropes ! Do you mind saying what the length is and the size range of the pearls? It looks fabulous!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
caro40|1390347936|3598030 said:
This time last year I had no idea pearls were so fabulous. Then I found out and went nuts....

Lovely rope! Love those golden south seas! I was recently given some baroque goldens that I'm about to make into a strand.

The same is true for me! (well, except the part about turning forty).
However, I now have so many strands that I don't wear them all. So I've been giving myself a good firm talking to about not getting any more for a while.
Good luck with your earrings.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Caro, that's a gorgeous rope!! I think I have seen it before on here? So stunning. Makes me want one - desperately. So gorgeous!

caro40

Shiny_Rock
The rope came from Imogene at Clifton Hill (suburb in Melbourne for those who might not know). Kathryn who runs the store is excellent, a real pearl lover and pearl expert, and she doesn't have huge overheads as she runs her business out of an antiques shop. I have now bought two strands pretty much from off her neck....She also has a wonderful Art Deco feel to a lot of her jewellery that I love. I am glad I have not gone on a diamond and sapphire bender because it would be easy if you had the dollars.....

Size wise on this rope I can't quite remember, also because we added some pearls. But I think the largest whites are 16.7mm and the sizes go all the way down to what looks like 6 or 7mm. I had the length etc here but on another thread, one about dyed black pearls. I think it is around 43 or so inches.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
caro40|1390347936|3598030 said:
Yes I turned 40 this time last year (I must stop referring to 2013 as 'this year' and realise where we are...) and it seems my mid life crisis was a pearls one. Catherine Cardellini has been my main dealer for my addiction but Imogene at Clifton Hill has provided me my two super fabulous Tahitian and SS mix ropes.

ss_tahitian_2.jpg

Just stunning :love: :love: :love: Love the mixed sizes!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
caro40 - Your rope is outstanding!!! I am in love! That would be a true treasure in anyone's collection!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pearls because I can get more visual impact with pearls than diamonds, in that I can get a nice pearl necklace for the price of a 1ct RB H VS1 triple X diamond that would disappear around my chunky neck!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1390403019|3598495 said:
I love pearls because I can get more visual impact with pearls than diamonds, in that I can get a nice pearl necklace for the price of a 1ct RB H VS1 triple X diamond that would disappear around my chunky neck!

+1!!!!!! This is the exact reason I fell in love with pearls - I can get a much bigger look for the money!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
SMC|1390428791|3598868 said:
dk168|1390403019|3598495 said:

+1!!!!!! This is the exact reason I fell in love with pearls - I can get a much bigger look for the money!
Bingo!!! :lol: I have worn pendants on delicate gold chains all of my life, but I've gotten to the age where I need jewelry with more presence. Pearls fit that niche beautifully, and I am so lucky to be living in an age where there is such a wonderful variety of pearls available at affordable prices.

Love, love, love that mixed rope. I have a combo white and golden SS necklace that I don't wear a lot that might work as the basis for something like that. Hmmmm...... That's what another great thing about pearls...how easily they can be redesigned. :appl:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks for that info on your absolutely gorgeous necklace !! I had the look of holding a nice size..but it's so hard to tell from a photo. I love it even more now :love:

And Flygirl makes a good point, as always, that the great thing about pearls is their versatility. You can always switch them around and add to them .... put some nice fat Tahitians from large to small in with the white and gold and create a stunning tri colour rope. I think when you find that you are no longer wearing something that is expensive then it's the best investment to get it remade. No point in it sitting in a box... FREE THE PEARLS!

And on a side note...let me say that I am very very impressed that you were able to deduce the shop where the fabulous pearl earrings are located...how on earth did you do that ??? :?:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
katbran|1390459706|3599290 said:
And on a side note...let me say that I am very very impressed that you were able to deduce the shop where the fabulous pearl earrings are located...how on earth did you do that ??? :?:

Was that directed at me Katbran?

I had seen those earrings before. I am starting my own jewellery collection towards the middle of the year and I like the findings on the earrings and I hope to have something similar. Plus I know Melbourne fairly well (I grew up there) and know that there is a Jan Logan store at the Paris end of Collins Street. It was either there or Makers Mark, which I think has shut.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
katbran - I agree - Free the Pearls!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
misskittycat|1390465829|3599311 said:

I had seen those earrings before. I am starting my own jewellery collection towards the middle of the year and I like the findings on the earrings and I hope to have something similar. Plus I know Melbourne fairly well (I grew up there) and know that there is a Jan Logan store at the Paris end of Collins Street. It was either there or Makers Mark, which I think has shut.

Sorry Misskittycat!! Yes that was directed straight at you !! Still..remarkable that you picked the store ! I am still impressed ! I do like those findings as well...nice and simple with a bit of bling!

caro40

Shiny_Rock
misskittycat|1390465829|3599311 said:

I am still incredibly impressed. There are several other pearl stores around that end of the street and that you knew the exact earrings in the exact shop from my pretty rubbish description was genius :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results