shape
carat
color
clarity

Price per Carat to High?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PriceScoper2

Rough_Rock
I am going to look at a diamond later today my wife has put a downpayment on.

Don''t have all the parms, but here is what I know.
1.27cw, F VS2, 62% Table, 58% Depth, no fluorescence , no coulet, excellent symetry and polish. She was quoted at $10,900 ($8500 per ct).

I earched for some diamonds and it seems my $8500 per ct is way too high.. what other factors would make the $ per ct weight be so high (other than greed)?

thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the price is high, it may not be "greed". Asking a price does not mean one must pay it. You could have been well informed BEFORE a deposit was left and then you would instead simply say, "I'd really love to buy your diamond, but you need to sharpen your pencil a little. I really am looking to limit my costs to $xxxxx. Can you make some adjustment in that price?"

If you handle "asking prices" for what they are, not numbers always set in stone, you will find yourself saving money. It takes ADVANCE knowledge on your part in order to be fair. If a diamond is a real bargain, then the asking price may be solid and not subject to adjustment. You need to know when to offer and when to say "okay".

I hope this makes sense to you. Greed is not the motivation for people to be in the diamond business. All capitalism has a greed element, but good business has led us to a very fine style of living. I wouldn't trade it for any other system in the world today. Not everything is fair, but when was it?

PriceScoper2

Rough_Rock
Thank you, this makes a lot of sense... I agree, greed is part of capitalism and fair amount of greed is good. I also do not mind turning a profit for them, they are providing a valuable service.

I imagine I have not provided enough information to ask what a fair price per carat should be for what I have listed. But, I will ask anyway and hopefully someone can provide me with a range...

Thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Assuming the diamond is round a pricescope search for a similar cut stone, non-ideal with GIA report, gives in the $8000 to $8500 range for the diamond. I would expect a retail store to ask somewhat more as this range is very close to actual cost. Retail stores can't operate on tiny margins.

How much more, is a matter of how well you perform in the role of a serious buyer who wants the best possible price.
It is very much like buying an automobile, one with sort of a misleading or non-existent window MSRP sticker.

Best of luck.

PriceScoper2

Rough_Rock
Thank you... I will let you know how I do....

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/22/2004 10:49:54 AM oldminer wrote:

Retail stores can't operate on tiny margins.----------------

Actually, it's a choice... We operate both a high end (quality) establishment and a high volume internet site and maintain internet pricing in both realms because we wouldn't want our local clients to feel taken advantage of because they didn't happen to find our web site before making a purchase. We could work on significantly higher margins as do our local "competitors" however we don't see the need to do so... On a traditional retail level, the price per carat that you are being charged is not unreasonable, but we would expect to see you paying about $7,700.00 per carat (essentially Rap) for an ideal cut diamond with these characteristics AND excellent or ideal polish and symmetry as determined by the GIA or AGS laboratories... The diamond that you've found is AGS-1 excellent in proportions at best due to the 58% table diameter, is a bit deep at 62.0% which means that it will face up a little smaller than a better cut 1.27 carat would face up and there is no indication about the crown and pavilion angle measurements... We're not bashing the stone that you've found, it may very well be quite beautiful if the crown and pavilion angle measurements fall within a desireable range, we're just providing you with a little ammo to negotiate with
2.gif

Do some checking here on PS and spend some time checking out what some of the more reputable on-line vendors have to offer in the way of stock on-hand, we can tell you that we don't have a comparable stone to offer at the moment but GOG or WF might...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Robin & Todd;

The table is 62% and the depth is 58%...This is probably not an AGS 1.... I almost made the same mis-read.

Dubs Jr

Rough_Rock
Does those parameters change everything. It looked larger than a 1.31D SI1. On the HCA it shows it has excellent spread and the rest is very good. What do you think of the stone with it being the table 62 and the depth 58??

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Having just the two parameters doesn't define all the geometry of your stone. It could be very nice but as that table gets bigger and the depth gets smaller the chances for a lousy cut increase.

Oops. Should have asked if it's a round!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results