shape
carat
color
clarity

Price per carat for light orange-pink sapphire

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I came across a pale orange-pink sapphire that I was definitely not looking for but now cannot take my mind off of! I've been trying to compare prices, but haven't been able to find anything even remotely close in the same colour/carat range.

What is an appropriate price per carat for something this size and colour?

Very pale orange-pink sapphire... maybe champagne-y
Almost-square cushion, VVS, between 2.3 and 2.9 ct
No treatment and AGL report included

I think this is a comparable colour:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Unique/U3049/Radiant/stoneid=U3049

Thanks for any help and advice!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, where to begin?! You probably know that a light pinkish orange or orangish pink sapphire in the trade is known as a padparadscha and is a rare color and highly sought after stone. The thing with padparadschas is that to be given the name, and the associated price tag, the color has to be limited to just pink and just orange - in other words, no brown.

The good news is that the one you linked to is quite low in saturation and does have brown in it, so it is why they are not calling it a pad, nor commanding the price premium. In other words, the fact that you seek one of fairly low saturation and it appears you are willing to accept some brown means you might have an easier time finding the stone. The bad news is that the specificity of the shape you seek will pose a challenge.

Check out these, as there are two sapphires here, neither of which is precisely what you seek, but might help us in narrowing down priorities for you:

http://pinterest.com/jeffdaviesgems/sapphire/

Have you looked in the usual places? Litnon has an emerald cut bigger than you want (and probably too lavender) for $1300; Gemfix, #_532, for example? Or the attached - too small but will help identify whether you like the warm side or the cool side...

Also, one more thought, but you might have luck in that color getting a spinel - quite similar in many ways to a sapphire. Let us know if that is something you'd consider.

2-20-13_emm_sapph_preview.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did AGL call it a padparadscha? If not, is it more orange, pink or brown?
Is the colouration even or splotchy?
Does it have bad cut issues or is somewhat decently cut?

All the above will greatly affect pricing. The NSC example picture shows uneven colouration with the hue mostly brown and yellow.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
If you are doing any searches, I suggest you try the colors "light peach" or "light apricot" to find the color of the stone you linked. They are calling that stone orange, but I'm afraid searching for "light orange" might get you more of a brown tham you are looking for.... good luck on your search.

As for the suggestion of a spinel, I concur. I had two very pretty light peachy pink spinels, but I sold them because they blended with my skin color. :(sad

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, Chrono, I doubt AGL has even seen the stone, since its NSC. I introduced padparadschas based on her description in the title, but it appears that she is looking for a warm, light brownish stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
The NSC stone liked is an example that the OP feels shows the same colouration as the one she's considering. No vendor was mentioned, only that it is untreated and comes with an AGL memo.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
I think our wires are crossed. The NSC stone linked is NOT the one the OP is interested in. She's trying to keep the vendor and stone under wraps so we are not shown the actual picture of the stone or AGL memo. We don't know if the vendor is NSC or someone else. Neither the OP nor NSC has mentioned the "P" word. I was only trying to understand the entire picture by asking.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1361398512|3385674 said:
Minou,
I think our wires are crossed. The NSC stone linked is NOT the one the OP is interested in. She's trying to keep the vendor and stone under wraps so we are not shown the actual picture of the stone or AGL memo. We don't know if the vendor is NSC or someone else. Neither the OP nor NSC has mentioned the "P" word. I was only trying to understand the entire picture by asking.

No, I don't think we crossed wires, it just appears that mine wasn't plugged in at all :twirl: :loopy: :rolleyes:

I think I've provided some comps for her, but you're right - if hers is listed as a light padparadscha by AGL, then it would be greater in value than the ones I linked.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
I really don't think it's a padparadscha since the vendor doesn't mention it (wouldn't they, if there was a report, and it was??), but maybe I can ask to see it for myself. I would say the stone is well cut. I think the stone is a balanced mix of pale pink and orange with maybe a little bit of brown -- but one doesn't dominate. I just really haven't seen anything else this particular colour, so it's been difficult for me to gauge whether the price is fair.

With all of the links you've shared, the Gemfix one is more expensive by a mile... can anyone explain? Is THAT a pad? I didn't think stones with that level of saturation were considered so.

Thanks everyone for all of your help with alternatives! I have a few peach/apricot/champagne tourmalines and spinels on my wish list. I've spent the last few months looking at gemstone after gemstone just trying to get a sense of what I like, but this sapphire just knocked me over! The colour is exactly what I want.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL will call it a padparadscha in the memo if their opinion is that it falls into that category. Can you post a small colour swatch of the stone you are interested in? Cut a small box or portion of the stone and post it here.

I've seen the Gemfix stone and think that either he is smoking something or he's seeing something else that we cannot see in the photograph.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emmmme|1361399844|3385703 said:
I really don't think it's a padparadscha since the vendor doesn't mention it (wouldn't they, if there was a report, and it was??), but maybe I can ask to see it for myself. I would say the stone is well cut. I think the stone is a balanced mix of pale pink and orange with maybe a little bit of brown -- but one doesn't dominate. I just really haven't seen anything else this particular colour, so it's been difficult for me to gauge whether the price is fair.

With all of the links you've shared, the Gemfix one is more expensive by a mile... can anyone explain? Is THAT a pad? I didn't think stones with that level of saturation were considered so.

Thanks everyone for all of your help with alternatives! I have a few peach/apricot/champagne tourmalines and spinels on my wish list. I've spent the last few months looking at gemstone after gemstone just trying to get a sense of what I like, but this sapphire just knocked me over! The colour is exactly what I want.

You've probably heard us say this before but if it that was your reaction, and you can afford it, then its the one. You may see iterations of the color you seek, but to see the exact same? Unlikely. I would suggest you check out Umba sapphires as they often seem to come in this light colorway.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1361400217|3385710 said:
AGL will call it a padparadscha in the memo if their opinion is that it falls into that category. Can you post a small colour swatch of the stone you are interested in? Cut a small box or portion of the stone and post it here.

I've seen the Gemfix stone and think that either he is smoking something or he's seeing something else that we cannot see in the photograph.

Haha! Is there something wrong with it? Or it's overpriced?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is overpriced for a stone that is mostly brown with a hint of the palest orange.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1361400237|3385711 said:
emmmme|1361399844|3385703 said:

You've probably heard us say this before but if it that was your reaction, and you can afford it, then its the one. You may see iterations of the color you seek, but to see the exact same? Unlikely. I would suggest you check out Umba sapphires as they often seem to come in this light colorway.

Yes, absolutely. I can only sort of afford it. My interest in gemstones is a very recent discovery (after finding PS, in fact), but luckily because I tend to like olives, greys, and generally pale/desaturated stones, I haven't really come across anything that's spoken to me that would also be much riskier to buy in terms of cost:quality. Until this sapphire, the most expensive thing on my wish list was the 1074 tourmaline on gemfix: http://www.gemfix.com/tourmaline_red_pink.html. But that gives you a sense of my taste too.

The sapphire I like is in fact very close to that tourmaline, with a hint of a blushy pink colour. It's a really warm tone.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1361400889|3385724 said:
It is overpriced for a stone that is mostly brown with a hint of the palest orange.

Hmm! I like the colour of the gemfix stone a lot, but yeah... the price seems a bit much. I was sort of thinking in the $1000/ct range for a sapphire like that, but then I kept seeing others (though much smaller) that were only $700-$900/ct. Do you think that's a significant variance? When you're talking $3000 for a stone, does $300 more or less signify a great difference?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends. Are those other stones also from reputable sources who take accurate pictures?

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1361401572|3385747 said:
Depends. Are those other stones also from reputable sources who take accurate pictures?

Some yes, some probably not. After going through all of the usual suspects I actually googled "champagne sapphire." *shudder*

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other thing is the size/price relationship. You are looking in the sweet spot of sizes for a sapphire where there is a fair amount of demand because they are a good ring size. Price/carat aligns typically around carat marks and for all I know, sapphires might be further stratified. I do know that under 1 carat, prices plunge and I am sure under 2 carats is less than above 2 carats. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a price break at 1.5 too. That probably explains why some of the little ones you've seen are so much less per carat.

Whoops! Edited for clarity. :loopy: :twirl:

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that's what I figured. That's why I was looking for something around the same size to compare.

Wellllllll, I may as well confess that it was the Gemfix sapphire that I was admiring. :oops: :oops: I shouldn't have been surprised that you'd all point it out! I thought I was married to that particular stone, but the price is prohibitive for me and I'm glad I was right to suspect that it was high. If 3k was a good price (or, if it was 2k), I probably would have bought it. I do LOVE the colour, size and proportions, and it seems like a really brilliant stone.

The stone I'd love to have would be the palest shade of champagne with just a hint of copper and/or blush/peach. I'd like to set it in a 14k rose gold solitaire mounting so that the stone is front and center. It would be an occasional or RHR but... if it is as beautiful as I hope, I can also see myself wearing it as an ering, taking turns with the one I have.

Have you seen anything lately that fits the bill?

Even though the colour is quite different, I do really like this tourmaline as well: http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/tourmaline_red_pink/tourmaline_rp_1074_A.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you had an opportunity to see this color stone against your skin? Sometimes stones like that blend into the skin and don't have the visual impact we think. That said, I'll be happy to keep my eyes open.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
I know it may sound crazy to other coloured stone lovers, but I like the subtle effect of a pale stone against my pale skin, and with a matching metal to boot! :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, no, no! I am such an advocate of doing what YOU like and buying what YOU like! It is so great when people can describe what it is they like. So great! This is the color and now we just need to find it. I would also check in with Dana at Mastercut. It sounds like Dana has rough squirreled away for a lifetime of winters, and you never know. He may just have some pale rough like you seek.

Just a thought, but it occurs to me that you can always watch that sapphire on the Gemfix website and make an offer if it doesn't sell. I have no idea how long its been there, but it could be that its been sitting in their inventory for a while.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to have unthinkingly outed the vendor's name. It was inconsiderate of me since you could have been (and you really were) considering that stone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono - don't feel bad as you didn't "out" the vendor. I had inadvertently linked to the very stone she was discussing in my very first post, suggesting she look at that one as a comp, lol!

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
No apologies necessary at all! I was doing my best to play coy the whole time but you all still got me. Really, no worries. I would only be *slightly* heartbroken if someone else swiped it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgive me if you've told us how long you've been collecting and I've forgotten, especially if you said that you've been collecting for a long time, but I've seen it happen over and over that what someone likes morphs significantly the longer they collect. I've said repeatedly that if I could do it over again, I wish I had just sl-o-o-o-w-ed down and bought less in the beginning. Many were great learner stones but some were pricey and now I wonder why they made my heart go pit pat!

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
I haven't been collecting at all! I found PS while trying to be proactive about purchasing a replacement wedding set online. I learned a lot about the questions I should be asking. But I discovered a whole new world here! I've never been interested in jewelry, and I'm not a diamond girl, so I was quite surprised by how attached I became to PS. Consequently, I've spent a couple of months endlessly browsing all of the recommended vendors and learning what I like. So yes, I'm still a baby.

I bought a small morganite stone from a PSer on LoupeTroop. It was cheap and though it's not a great stone (and was priced accordingly), it was enough to get those wheels turning! Now I want bigger and better. So far this sapphire is the only stone that's captured my attention enough to ask you guys questions about it.

I can see that already my tastes have changed but mostly it has just gotten more expensive! I'm still attracted to the same range of colours, but I've gotten better at gauging the quality of a stone (at least based on vendor pictures). In any case, I'm ok with an evolution of style... I think that's part of being human.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great response, Em! In that case, I think we have to get you looking at spinels as well. It seems that you may very well be able to find one very close to the color you like for less. Sapphires have been discovered, spinels have just begun! It seems that highly saturated spinels go for a lot, but the less saturated, non-mainstream colors (and I think yours would be described that way) would not.

I think I'll go look around on ebay for you and see what's out there. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results