shape
carat
color
clarity

Price for Diamond and Sapphire Target Ring

Seagoat

Rough_Rock
Hi - new poster here. After a fairly exhaustive search I think I've found an amazing engagement ring. Problem is I don't know what a fair price is, and I'm keen not to overpay. Here are the specs, and an image is attached - any back-of-the-napkin price guidance would be very much appreciated!

Style Platinum Octagonal Art Deco Diamond and Sapphire Engagement Ring
Main Diamond Old European Cut 1.64 Carat Center Stone
Carat Total Weight 2.62 Ctw
Accent Diamond Details .12ctw of Micro-Pave Set Round Diamonds on Shank
Sapphire Approximately 0.86ctw of Ceylon Sapphires
Diamond Color K/L
Main Diamond Clarity VS
Ring Measurements 12.05mm (Height) x 2 mm (Shank Width)
Mounting Details Stone is Bezel Set in a Platinum Setting
Total Weight 2.7dwt (4.3g)

Thank you very much!

RK

octagon-5.jpg

_32333.jpg

Seagoat

Rough_Rock
I should note that the diamond is not certified, and they are asking $14K for the ring...hence my concern about making sure I do it right.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I would have difficulty purchasing an uncerted stone in that price range without knowing the vendor. You have no idea if the stone is actually a much lower graded color, but maybe some others will chime in who may be more comfortable with it. I am not opposed to lower graded colors IF that is what I choose to purchase, but for that cost I'd like to know what I'm getting. Does the seller have good reviews? A good return policy if you get it independently appraised and it isn't as advertised? If its sized or tweaked is it considered as customized and therefore non returnable? Could be a great deal, but hopefully you will get better info from the more experienced posters as to what they think. Review some of the diamonds on this link as it may give you an idea of cost of comparable stones.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's the problem with buying uncerted. You don't have confirmed stats so it's difficult to judge whether it's a fair price. This is a fairly common design though. Why not work with a PS vendor to get a certed stone and put it in a sapphire halo setting?

Seagoat

Rough_Rock
Thank you both! It's quite likely that my searching skills are not up to par, but I really struggled to find that design with a new, non-vintage, setting anywhere - the best I've found is in Dublin, IE, but the store sadly doesn't offer returns, only exchanges, which seems to much of a risk: http://weldons.ie/shop/sapphire-and-diamond-cluster/ (they offer in 1 and 1.25 ct as well)

We have found a couple places that offered it, but the sapphires were very light blue, which neither of us liked (pic attached)

If anyone knows of a shop that could produce that ring with a higher-color certed stone and has a darker sapphire rim I would LOVE a lead. My challenge is I'm trying to do this relatively quickly and I'd rather avoid a 6-week+ wait. Thank you so much!

RK

_640.png

LvChnl

Rough_Rock
There is a shop in NY, Maximira on 45th street, they mostly work with other jewelers, so it is a word of mouth "hidden gem". In my experience they have worked wonders with my budget and demands and the quality of work is exceptional. I recently commissioned an Art Deco style ring from them with a GIA certified 1.53ct stone K color VS clarity for under 8k. Give it a google and see if they can help you. Good luck

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beverly k makes target rings similar to those, reproductions....

Pair that with an old cut or a reproduction old cut and I think you could get the same look for the same or less.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which Pricescope vendors sell beverley k settings?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1436891286|3902698 said:
Which Pricescope vendors sell beverley k settings?
Pearlmas does as well as good old gold.

Seagoat

Rough_Rock
Thanks Baby Monster! Word from the chief is that we are set on a bezel halo, but thank you for the suggestion of James Allen.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seagoat|1436896504|3902745 said:
Thanks Baby Monster! Word from the chief is that we are set on a bezel halo, but thank you for the suggestion of James Allen.

Hey, what's your budget? Is it 14k? Are you in the uk? I've been looking around but I don't want to suggest things that are out of range. :)

Seagoat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help Niel! Ideally I'd like to be around $12K, but I don't want to be too rigid!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Not sure of your budget, but a custom ring would be a great option. Although I think you mentioned not wanting to wait several weeks?

I recently saw this line at a local jewelry store. They only had a couple of settings with sapphires, but I don't recall them being light. It is possible they could be somewhat customized? Just a thought since you may not have time for a handforged custom piece. I think IDJ caries this line?
https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product...-IL-LB-LD-LP-LX-RM-SA-SB-SC-TA-TB-TC-XL-XT-XU
https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product/ER11587R0W44SA
https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product...-IL-LB-LD-LP-LX-RM-SA-SB-SC-TA-TB-TC-XL-XT-XU

Seagoat

Rough_Rock
I''m based in Boston, MA!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Is there a particular reason you're avoiding vintage? A calibre/French cut sapphire halo is a classic Art Deco style and I bet Lang Antiques, or another vintage seller, would have some in good shape (their site seems to not be working correctly at the moment but I know I've seen them there before).

The style is lovely - your girlfriend has good taste :)

Seagoat

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! We started the search with vintage in mind, but there's an emotional quality to having "someone else's" ring that doesn't resonate with her. So we decided vintage style was the way to go - all the fun of the look with a setting that hasn't made its own stories yet!

But it does complicate the search, and I agree that the vintage ones are beautiful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seagoat|1436904396|3902802 said:
Thanks guys! We started the search with vintage in mind, but there's an emotional quality to having "someone else's" ring that doesn't resonate with her. So we decided vintage style was the way to go - all the fun of the look with a setting that hasn't made it's own stories yet!

But it does complicate the search, and I agree that the vintage ones are beautiful.

Oh, I'm sorry, no vintage at all or just no vintage setting.
Would you consider a used diamond? If not, does she care if the target ring has a modern cut?

Also, does it need to be round.

Seagoat

Rough_Rock
No vintage setting. The diamond we're flexible on - could go old cut or modern! The major requirement vs. what we've seen so far is darker sapphires than many seem to offer. (The Lang rings have perfect color sapphires!)

Round is definitely the top choice.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seagoat|1436905017|3902807 said:
No vintage setting. The diamond we're flexible on - could go old cut or modern! The major requirement vs. what we've seen so far is darker sapphires than many seem to offer. (The Lang rings have perfect color sapphires!)

Round is definitely the top choice.

In my opinion the images you see of the sapphire are going to be in the best lighting. In other lightings the sapphires will look darker.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results