shape
carat
color
clarity

Preowned Cartier Diamond purchase help!

bkkchris

Rough_Rock
Found a beautiful (from what I can tell) Cartier 1895 style engagement ring on a biz trip in Japan from one of the bigger preowned shops.

1.51 ct, VS2, G, depth 61.1%, table 57%, fluorescence None, finish Excellent & Excellent, a few clouds and feathers noted.

Diamond has GIA report (dated 2004) no laser inscription noted on report or seen on stone. Report has a sticker on top right that matches number inscribed on inside of band. Also notes “additional clouds are not shown”.

This is my first (and hopefully last) engagement ring purchase and just want to make sure I’m doing as much right as I can.

Anything to be aware of based off the specs noted? I think I can see some of the inclusions (the larger of two feathers to be exact) in a loupe as noted on the GIA. Do GIA reports normally have a ‘sticker’ attached to the report with the matching number inscribed on the band, or is that normally printed on the report? Somehow I thought ALL Cartier diamonds had laser inscriptions?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have the report or report number?
Do you have any photos?

We really can't say anything at all from what you've told us - not nearly enough info to make any judgments.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not assume all diamonds from Cartier have laser inscriptions, especially as far back as 2004. Without the Cartier paperwork, I am not sure you can have proof the diamond is the original. I've never seen a sticker adding info to a diamond report. Also, we'd have to know the crown and pavilion angles to know if it was well cut enough to buy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. GIA report is too old to include a cut grade (that started in 2005). That means that we need clear photos to tell you anything useful about the stone itself. Clear face-up and clear side-on... And the stone looks pretty dirty or dusty in those pics - have the vendor clean it thoroughly first.

2. GIA report is too old to be confident that it represents the current condition of the stone. At the very least, an independent appraiser should verify that the stone in the ring is the stone that was originally represented by this report, and if so, that the current condition of the stone does not deviate significantly from what's detailed on the report. Nicks, chips, etc. - wear and tear over time - may have degraded finish.

3. What Cartier paperwork is included? Can they get you clear photos of all inscriptions, interior and exterior? They're already faded - the glare makes it virtually impossible. I do see two marks on the outside of the shank, which is what I'd expect. Is the dog's head visible?

4. It looks like the ring was sized at some point. Is this noted in the Cartier paperwork that's included?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Welcome.

May I ask, are you looking for an estate ring/estate branded ring? Any hints on what your fiancée might want?

cheers--Shaorn

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fee for GIA's Diamond Grading Reports -- which include the plotting diagrams -- does not include a laser inscription, on the diamond's girdle, of the lab report number; there's long been an extra charge for that. The laser inscription is included in the fee for the less expensive Diamond Dossier reports (which until very recently were not available for stones of more than 1 carat) because those don't have the plotting diagrams that can serve as the means of identifying the diamond.
So the absence of a laser inscription on a diamond that has a GIA Diamond Grading Report isn't surprising, but agree with @yssie that you'd want an independent appraiser to verify that it's the same stone as in that 2004 report, inform you of any change in condition, and run a light performance report.

FWIW I personally would not consider buying the ring unless (a) the Cartier serial number is inscribed on the diamond's girdle (I need more than a 10x loupe to make out girdle inscriptions), and (b) that same serial number is engraved on the inner shank of the ring. Like what you'll see in these photographs for a Cartier 1895 ring with a GIA Diamond Dossier report (which noted the Cartier #) from December 2000:
Cartier 1895 diamond inscription.png

1895 inner shank engraving.png

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I love love love Cartier 1895 engagement rings! Can you bring it to a Cartier store to have them validate its authenticity?

New, Cartier rings are typically 2x non-Cartier rings. Do you know if your SO is OK with a pre-owned ring? Personally, I would rather receive a brand new, similar non-Cartier engagement ring (which I'm guessing could be purchased with a similar budget), especially if the authenticity is in question.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, to all the above.
if you are paying a $$$ premium for the Cartier name you need full confidence it is Cartier. Also a check of the diamond for any condition issues ie any nibbles or nicks (under magnification) to the girdle or facets due to wear and tear. Not necessarily a “no” but you’d want the price adjusted accordingly.
check out what $$$$ a similar diamond sells for, add in say $1,500 for a Platinium setting and compare.

bkkchris

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the input. Appreciate your expertise. The ring is priced at about $16,500.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Does your partner particularly want a Cartier (or will they hold the fact it is one in high regard?), and will they be happy with a second hand engagement ring? An engagement ring is a gesture/commitment - I know my fiancée wouldn’t hold a ‘brand’ in any higher regard, but everyone is different.

Unless you’re really sure on the above questions, I think there are probably too many unknowns with the Cartier. For $16.5k and with guidance on here, you could find a really nice new ring, if that’s what you want.

If you are set on a Cartier, try to get some pics of it directly face on - and see if there’s a way to get its authenticity confirmed.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love love love Cartier 1895 engagement rings! Can you bring it to a Cartier store to have them validate its authenticity?

New, Cartier rings are typically 2x non-Cartier rings. Do you know if your SO is OK with a pre-owned ring? Personally, I would rather receive a brand new, similar non-Cartier engagement ring (which I'm guessing could be purchased with a similar budget), especially if the authenticity is in question.

None of these houses will verify authenticity of secondary market purchases by policy. Individuals with buying history and good relationships with their SAs may, of course, receive favours of this nature... But if OP had an established relationship with a Cartier location or SA he wouldn’t be asking for help here on PS :))

The closest he is going to get is to have the ring serviced by Cartier - work that he pays for, not a free in-store polishing - with the presumption that Cartier will not service an inauthentic piece. However,
1. The piece would have to be accepted for servicing. This is not guaranteed.
2. The service receipt explicitly states that it does not serve as proof of authenticity. This is a “good enough” reassurance, not an absolute.
3. Servicing can be quite pricey, and takes a long time - weeks to months.

bkkchris

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. Decided to pass on this ring and look for something else. Appreciate all the advice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results