shape
carat
color
clarity

Pregnancy Skin Care

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
What did you ladies use on your face and body while you were pregnant (cleansers and creams)? We''re trying to get preggo, so I''m switching my facial creams since they have retinol and salicylic acid.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i use cetaphil in the morning and at night and use a clarisonic.

rockpaperscissors67

Shiny_Rock
I''ve continued to use retinol and salicylic acid, although I have changed my routine slightly. I used to use Avene Retrinal .1% almost every night, then a cleanser with salicylic acid in it in the am, followed by either a 2% salicylic lotion or Vitamin C serum. If I wore makeup during the day, I washed my face with the salicylic acid wash at night, too, before applying the Retrinal.

Now, I still use the cleanser every morning and then the Vitamin C serum, but I only use the retinol twice a week. The biggest reason I cut back on the retinol is that pregnancy can make your skin more sensitive and since I use the highest formulation of retinol available without a prescription, I didn''t want to take the chance on burning my skin.

I''ve felt safe continuing to use these products because I did a lot of reading and found that the concern is with the ORAL forms of these. The topical formulations don''t penetrate the epidermis enough to enter the blood stream and cause problems.

This is something that I''d recommend you do your own reading on, and not take my word as gospel because a lot depends on your own comfort level. I''m pregnant with #6 and tend to not follow all the new "rules" -- I eat lunch meat, I drink caffeine, I eat soft cheeses, I get my nails done and my hair highlighted, etc. Continuing to use the products I used before have kept my skin looking great, even through all of the hormonal ups and downs. I think I''ve had one zit in the whole 9 months and the baby is perfectly fine.

Some other options would be to use olive oil as a cleanser (just mix a bit in your hand with some water) because it also moisturizes as long as you don''t use too much, and tea tree oil as an astringent if you find your skin getting oily.

And don''t forget the sunscreen!
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I cut down on my salicylic acid but still use it once or twice a week and I found a new face moisturizer but not because I''m pregnant. I just needed a new one. I found my dermatologists office has their own line and it''s relatively inexpensive ($15 a tube) and works wonderfully.

For my body, I use lots of unscented cocoa butter. I have crazy stretch marks on my lower tummy from my son, but I didn''t get them bad until I ran out of the lotion. This time, I will not make that mistake.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
A great substitute for retinol and salicylic acid is glycolic acid - it is just as effective as retinol, but totally safe during pregnancy. The only thing is that most drugstore brands don''t use it in their products.

DDF makes some good lotions and toners with glycolic acid, but my thing that I''ve been using every night after I cleanse is Proactiv''s Toner (you can buy it by itself at a mall kiosk or on QVC.com). The main ingredients are aloe, glycolic acid and witch hazel, but it doesn''t have the forbidden salicylic acid or retinol - it''s also alcohol free, so it moisturizes and refreshes my skin while preventing breakouts. It''s really become my essential skincare product now that I''m pregnant.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 10:26:45 AM
Author: jcrow
I've been considering investing in a Clarisonic. I've been wondering if it massages/moves the skin around too much while it cleans. They have a new gadget that's used with your eye cream to really get it to penetrate your skin.

ETA: You must have great skin if that's all you use!

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 11:59:30 AM
Author: rockpaperscissors67
I've continued to use retinol and salicylic acid, although I have changed my routine slightly. I used to use Avene Retrinal .1% almost every night, then a cleanser with salicylic acid in it in the am, followed by either a 2% salicylic lotion or Vitamin C serum. If I wore makeup during the day, I washed my face with the salicylic acid wash at night, too, before applying the Retrinal.

Now, I still use the cleanser every morning and then the Vitamin C serum, but I only use the retinol twice a week. The biggest reason I cut back on the retinol is that pregnancy can make your skin more sensitive and since I use the highest formulation of retinol available without a prescription, I didn't want to take the chance on burning my skin.

I've felt safe continuing to use these products because I did a lot of reading and found that the concern is with the ORAL forms of these. The topical formulations don't penetrate the epidermis enough to enter the blood stream and cause problems.

This is something that I'd recommend you do your own reading on, and not take my word as gospel because a lot depends on your own comfort level. I'm pregnant with #6 and tend to not follow all the new 'rules' -- I eat lunch meat, I drink caffeine, I eat soft cheeses, I get my nails done and my hair highlighted, etc. Continuing to use the products I used before have kept my skin looking great, even through all of the hormonal ups and downs. I think I've had one zit in the whole 9 months and the baby is perfectly fine.

Some other options would be to use olive oil as a cleanser (just mix a bit in your hand with some water) because it also moisturizes as long as you don't use too much, and tea tree oil as an astringent if you find your skin getting oily.

And don't forget the sunscreen!
1.gif
I've read that over the counter retinol products are probably ok, but cutting out retinol completely gives me one less thing to worry about. Plus, my skin is sensitive to almost retinol products anyway (except the ones I currently use).

I'm considering using a little tummy stretch mark oil on my face to moisturize if needed. I checked the ingredients and the oils in it are light, don't clog pores, and easily penetrate the skin.

My plan is to use a lactic acid cleanser, Vit C & E serum, and a B5 and hyaluronic acid gel. I might also use a kojic acid gel too. Oh, and sunscreen obviously. I'm going to discuss all these products with my doctor, but I think they're ok.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 2:51:27 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I cut down on my salicylic acid but still use it once or twice a week and I found a new face moisturizer but not because I''m pregnant. I just needed a new one. I found my dermatologists office has their own line and it''s relatively inexpensive ($15 a tube) and works wonderfully.

For my body, I use lots of unscented cocoa butter. I have crazy stretch marks on my lower tummy from my son, but I didn''t get them bad until I ran out of the lotion. This time, I will not make that mistake.
When did you start using the stretch mark lotion? I''m wondering if I should start using it right away.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 3:26:49 PM
Author: vespergirl
A great substitute for retinol and salicylic acid is glycolic acid - it is just as effective as retinol, but totally safe during pregnancy. The only thing is that most drugstore brands don''t use it in their products.

DDF makes some good lotions and toners with glycolic acid, but my thing that I''ve been using every night after I cleanse is Proactiv''s Toner (you can buy it by itself at a mall kiosk or on QVC.com). The main ingredients are aloe, glycolic acid and witch hazel, but it doesn''t have the forbidden salicylic acid or retinol - it''s also alcohol free, so it moisturizes and refreshes my skin while preventing breakouts. It''s really become my essential skincare product now that I''m pregnant.
Unfortunately, my skin reacts badly to glycolic acid. I''m planning on using a lactic acid cleanser though.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone had to change their makeup products at all?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 4:47:15 PM
Author: brightlight
Date: 1/1/2010 2:51:27 PM

Author: somethingshiny

When did you start using the stretch mark lotion? I''m wondering if I should start using it right away.

If you''re prone to stretch marks, or if your family does (like your mom), then even if you use tons of cocoa butter forty times a day, you can still get them. It''s good to keep your skin moisturized, because it''s good for your skin anyway, but it won''t stop them from coming if you''re meant to get them.

And for your face, witch hazel works well, though I have found that my skin is even clearer since I have been pregnant than it ever was before!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 4:23:19 PM
Date: 1/1/2010 10:26:45 AM

Author: jcrow

I've been considering investing in a Clarisonic. I've been wondering if it massages/moves the skin around too much while it cleans. They have a new gadget that's used with your eye cream to really get it to penetrate your skin.

ETA: You must have great skin if that's all you use!

i don't find that it moves the skin around excessively.

unfortunately, my skin went nutso after getting pregnant, but i'm not sure any skin care regimen would help. it's just hormonal.
14.gif
i've gotten a few facials during my pregnancy that seem to do a little good. i can't wait for my skin to go back to normal. here's hoping!

oh, and i do use a moisturizer/tinted spf anytime i go outside.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I used Oil of Olay Regenerist Serum on my face and Vaseline Coco-butter Gel on my body.

It was amazing stuff and really helped with the itching. My midwives all asked what I was using as the skin on my bump apparently looked really good. I was lucky and despite the 70lb + weight gain I didn''t get a single stretch-mark, but as someone said it''s mainly down to genes whether you get them or not.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ditto MP, if you''re going to get stretch marks, there''s nothing you can do to stop them. However, keeping your skin hydrated from the inside and out does help the elasticity. So, you may still get stretch marks, but not as many as if you did nothing.

I started lotioning within the first trimester for both pregnancies. I got really dry and itchy right away so I had to moisturize.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
For body products, I just recently read in a magazine that even though everyone thinks cocoa butter is the best thing for stretch marks, Vitamin E is actually most effective.

I am using the Body Shop Vitamin E Body Butter, and haven''t gotten any stretch marks (I didn''t get them during my last pregnancy either when I used Mustela products). The Body Shop Vitamin E Body Butter also has cocoa butter & shea butter in it, so I like that I''m getting all 3 that are supposed to be best at preventing stretch marks.

I also hear good things about Bio Oil - you can get it at Target and Walgreens.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also used Cetaphil, both morning and night - have been since I was 18. When I was preg with both boys, I used Oil of Olay, but long since quit using it. If I had another baby now, I''d stick with the same - Peter Thomas Roth lotion.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have the world's laziest skin care regime. i use regenerist on my face for day only. i wash my face in the shower using ivory soap. i am lucky that i have very good skin in general. also i have heard from friends that the kind of skin you will have when you are preggo is unpredictable...so its hard to know what you will need when you are preggo.

on my body i use dove's super dry skin lotion (purple bottle)...i can't remember the name. i use a lot of it. it has vit a and c i think. for my belly i used burts mama bee for a while then i got lazy and now just use dove's too. i have heard that shea's cocoa butter is sworn by a lot of preggos for helping prevent stretch marks.

i am prone to stretch marks, have them from puberty on boobs and hips already. so far have not gotten any new ones. so far..my friend got hers at 38 weeks. so it can be possible anytime!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I was just going to post this!!!!

We are TTC. I use Regenerist cleanser, perfecting cream, and sometimes the serum. I noticed today that they have salicylic acid but it looks like a lot of you use this. Is it ok to use while TTC and preggo? I have super sensitive combination skin and I''d love not to have to try to find a new product, but if it''s bad for a baby then of course I''d find something else...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Do you ladies using Cetaphil use the cleansing bar or lotion?

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 7:42:46 PM
Author: Pandora II
I used Oil of Olay Regenerist Serum on my face and Vaseline Coco-butter Gel on my body.

It was amazing stuff and really helped with the itching. My midwives all asked what I was using as the skin on my bump apparently looked really good. I was lucky and despite the 70lb + weight gain I didn't get a single stretch-mark, but as someone said it's mainly down to genes whether you get them or not.
I'm just as concerned about the itching as the stretch marks. I know a pregnant woman who scratches her tummy so much she gives herself open wounds and scabs. Then, she scratches off the scabs! I keep imagining an infection or a hole in her tummy.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 3:36:30 PM
Do you ladies using Cetaphil use the cleansing bar or lotion?

i use the one for oily to normal skin. it''s in a pump not a bar.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I put away my beloved salicylic acid products and no more vitamin C serum. Here''s what I''m using:

Face: I alternate Aveeno''s Positively Radiant Daily Cleansing Pads with DDF''s 5% Glycolic Face Wash. Glycolic/AHA acids are considered safe to use during pregnancy (thank goodness we get one chemical exfoliant!) and keep breakouts and dry skin at bay. During the day I use Clinique''s Moisture Surge gel, and at night I use Cetaphil''s cream.

Body: I use any old soap/bodywash that''s in the shower, and for lotion I prefer the Aveeno unscented lotions. Very moisturizing and they don''t clash with my fragrances. For my belly I use Mama Mio''s Tummy Rub Butter but it''s more for my comfort that true prevention -- I still got stretch marks last time!
1.gif

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 8:32:27 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
I put away my beloved salicylic acid products and no more vitamin C serum. Here''s what I''m using:

Face: I alternate Aveeno''s Positively Radiant Daily Cleansing Pads with DDF''s 5% Glycolic Face Wash. Glycolic/AHA acids are considered safe to use during pregnancy (thank goodness we get one chemical exfoliant!) and keep breakouts and dry skin at bay. During the day I use Clinique''s Moisture Surge gel, and at night I use Cetaphil''s cream.

Body: I use any old soap/bodywash that''s in the shower, and for lotion I prefer the Aveeno unscented lotions. Very moisturizing and they don''t clash with my fragrances. For my belly I use Mama Mio''s Tummy Rub Butter but it''s more for my comfort that true prevention -- I still got stretch marks last time!
1.gif
I thought vit C serums are ok. No?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results