shape
carat
color
clarity

Preferred Diamond Melee Question

ShoppingForARing

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm currently designing the ring for my gf and I'm having a question about the Melee. It's going to be a solitaire cushion in rose gold. I want one row pave single cut diamonds with minimal metal showing. Seems like all I'm seeing as an option is delicate french v split. What is the preferred setting for this that the famous designers use to get that clean look where the diamonds pop on the shank/pave with minal prong display? i.e. Jocelyn by Victor Canera, and other good designers.

What does pave setting mean below? Does it only mean when it's 3 rows or more? Are consumers using it incorrectly then? Usually when I ask for one row, single cut melee - I get shown what looks like a surface prong melee shown below or delicate french v split. How can I speak designer talk to get what I want?

diamond_melee_setting_styles_2.jpg

I"m trying to achieve the below "pave" designs WITHOUT the ridge on the border of the pave (just want to show diamonds)- How do I communicate this?
dsc_269-jpg.423399
dsc_0178-jpg.420032

dsc_219-jpg.420039

Last edited:

ShoppingForARing

Shiny_Rock
Premium
These are the CAD drawings I have from the designer. Any suggestions for the melee AND prongs for the center diamond. I know this original thread was about the melee or pave. I also am not 100% satisfied on the prongs (they seem thick to me). The first picture is what I"m trying to achieve without the diamonds on the prong and ridge border on the pave on both sides of the pave. What do i tell my designer who is working in CAD.
dsc_223-jpg.420045

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert, but I think you are looking for bright cut Pavé without miligrain.

https://www.leonmege.com/leon-mege-experience/pave-types-in-jewelry

https://www.victorcanera.com/blog/pave-styles-part1-bright-cut-pave

https://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/durability-considerations-pave-design/

My matching bands are bright cut Pavé with miligrain...
776CA743-BB5B-4BFC-BE1F-2A89B3DDFE05.jpeg

Edited: It appears your goal is not for bright cut (with a “wall” along the edge/similar to a channel set look), but rather what the CAD images show (which is maybe. V-cut?), so I am not sure I understand what you are asking for with regard to the melee. It appears the CAD images show what you are trying to achieve?

Last edited:

ShoppingForARing

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No. Do not want the border of miligrain. Thank you though

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No. Do not want the border of miligrain. Thank you though

Realized that once I re-read your first two posts and edited mine accordingly. Sorry for the confusion. TheCAD images of your ring do not show bright cut Pavé (which can be made with or without miligrain), so I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you not happy with the melee shown in CAD images?

ShoppingForARing

Shiny_Rock
Premium
EDIT: So I guess I'm trying to see if V cut melee is the best optoin here.
Are these options available in CAD software? What does a bright cut pave look like in CAD drawings

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don’t want a border/channel, the type of pave you have looks like your best option.
CADs always look bulky compared to the finished product but are you looking for the ring to look like the inspiration photo? Without the diamonds on the prongs and the border on the pave?
Cos that picture shows a head with curved struts between each prong that isn’t in your CADs. The prongs don’t look to be as curved/bowed out as the CADs and although there is not view of the prong tips, I’d guess they would be pointed not rounded like your CADs. Do you have other views of your inspiration ring?
Others are much better at CAD to inspiration comparison tho, @rockysalamander for one.
I would ask, have you seen examples of the work this jeweller has produced? Can they show you CAD and final version pictures so you can feel sure they can do what you want? The pave masters command the prices they do because they’re really good at delivering what you’re asking for and not everyone can.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just posted on your other thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results