shape
carat
color
clarity

Preferences: Buying at a show VS buying online.

Kaede

Rough_Rock
Hey you all,

In a few months, a gem show is coming near me. "Near" being a relative word. In my neck of the woods "near" means 300 miles away. When (notice not "if") I won't know any of the venders nor will I have your advice to guide me. I will be able to see the stone in person. If I buy online, I'll be able to ask you all and tap into your experience. But I won't be able to see the stone.

I figure shipping is a wash because of the gas/food/lodging. But... because I plan to go anyhow, maybe I should factor it in. But, I plan to get some staples (Korean Food ingredients: anyone for Ddukppoki? or Bebimbop? :love: ) that are just unheard of down here while in the area of a "big" city.

Thoughts

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you know what you are doing, only see as many stones as you can without buying anything. Not all vendors have good return policies. If experienced, then you can snag nice gems at a good price.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
I think going to your first show is more about a learning experience. Vendors probably found me a nuisance at my first show because I just looked and didn't buy. There's nothing like looking at stones in real life and comparing them one after another.

It's also cool to see all the different varieties as well as try on lots of settings to learn about your preferences.

Think of its value as decreasing a significant number of learner stones and return shipping. That can quickly add up to large amounts.

As I get more comfortable with stones, I probably will make purchases. :)

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
One thing I have noticed at shows and jewelry stores in general is the use of lighting to make stones appear more appealing. Be wary of that, try to view stones away from their spotlights if considering a purchase.

Kaede

Rough_Rock
I've been to gem shows before, but never had the cash to buy anything... Well i did buy small unset birth stones for each of my kids. None of them cost more than $25.00. They were never set, just objects of beauty for my kids.

I did notice that one or two venders had GG diplomas from the GIA displayed. Does this mean anything? ... Other than the owner went through the GIA education and graduated? Would they be more trust worthy?

I figured any stone worth much wouldn't be sitting on a table but behind locked glass doors.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many vendors have their GG and they do this for themselves (knowledge to know what they are buying so they don't get ripped off). Unfortunately, not all GGs have the same level of skill or experience, so it doesn't tell you anything else other than they passed both the written and practical exams. It is not a measure of their reputation or trustworthiness.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I agree that gem shows are a great learning experience, and nothing beats being able to see a lot of gemstones in person. To avoid being overwhelmed, maybe focus on one or two species - read up on them, and don't be afraid to ask questions. The best vendors are ones who are willing, even eager to share their knowledge.

Also, if you're willing to share which gem show and city, someone might be able to advise on reputable vendors. But yeah, good bibimbop would totally be worth the trip!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer buying at a show if it's a stone that isn't often treated (or one where treatment doesn't affect value) or if I can get a good return policy if I need a lab report to back up whatever they're claiming. I don't know that I'd be comfortable buying a very expensive stone at a show without knowing for sure that the dealer was reputable. Even if you're not ready to buy, they are great places to look... I agree to have a couple of kinds picked out that you have done your research on, know about potential treatments, etc, have an idea of what you may be looking for, and then go and talk to various dealers.

Even if you're not planning to buy, most will show you stuff - and if they're willing to show you stuff and tell you about it, ask them to show you cool stuff. I have seen some really awesome things just by asking dealers what the coolest thing they have with them is. I'm in my mid twenties, so if they're pulling out a 50k stone, they know I'm not going to buy, but plenty will show me and tell me all about it and how they came to have it and who they're hoping to sell it to. And that's really fun stuff to learn!

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Bebimbop is a favorite of mine on a cold morning. Also my whole family is wild about kimchee.
Shopping at a show is a great experience. Stay with simple gems at low to moderate prices to be safer. Do not trust any vendor just because they are a GG. Many of them have forgotten what they were taught and have not kept up with the big changes in gems over the last few years. Do not buy anything like a Ruby or Sapphire for a low price if you don't know treatments. When it seems too good to be true, that is because it is exactly that. Have fun, Lee

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I like going to gemshows. I come from a region, rich with precious stones and minerals, so gemshows are once a month thing, and the big one's are 4-5 times a year. It is nice to see different vendors, and different design presented.
Last show I went was in Seattle. Quite hilarious, some vendors were obviously drank. Another sapphire vendor, when I start asking question was more than hilarious. I ask the price per carat, and he said 900$, and when he went down, and when he went on and on about how much money he has, and how sapphires are popular, and the popularity just increase the price. He was nice. But the whole conversation with him left me confused.
I had my jewelry loupe with me.
I was not after something big, more curious, I was more looking. Still managed to find a turkish silver bracelet I was looking for like for 5 years (Anatoli's style). Finally I got one to match earrings I had forever.
Pearls were very confusing. There were many vendors and a lot of products.
Look, look, look, may be go back the next day.
From my experience most vendors are very nice and friendly at any gemshow. They need to sell their products. Their coming cost a lot, so they are directly interested to help you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results