shape
carat
color
clarity

Preference

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anthony187

Rough_Rock
This is just an opinion question. In an engagment ring witch would be perfered. An ACA cut diamond 1.22 carats in a J colour Or a D colour SI2 1.44 carat with a lesser cut? I''m not trying to get very technical, basicaly what im asking is would you rather have a bigger diamond with a better colour with slightly visible inclusions or a smaller diamond with lesser colour but perfect in every other way?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I probably wouldn''t go either, but of the two I''d take the J/SI excellent cut. I wouldn''t skimp on cut NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! I would probably buy a 1.1 H/SI with an excellent cut or something like that, but if she isn''t color sensitive than the J/SI might be an awesome choice! Cut is what really makes a diamond sparkle and shine (and sometimes look bigger), so don''t skimp on that.

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I love ACA''s and I love J''s, so that would be my vote!
30.gif
BUT, if there was an ideal cut (just not ACA) larger option, I would probably go that route.
37.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would rather the J than the SI2

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
I have never seen an I or J color stone, so I can''t comment on the preference. But in my book, cut always ranks #1. I have seen other GIA''s xxx diamonds (they were also claimed to be H&A), but none were as nice as the ACA that I got from WF. My rank would be cut, carat, clarity (no less than SI1) = color (No less than H because haven''t seen other colors in person).

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Define ''lesser cut''

dbsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Certainly "lesser cut" should be defined. But if getting close to an apple to apple comparison, brilliance not being an issue, and not dealing with visibly included SI2''s then I''d personally pay for things I can see, not things I can''t.

Size and color are "visible" factors. Clarity, if eyeclean, being a non-visible factor becomes the "C" that I''d sacrifice on. Of course GIA or AGS to start to vet out the "actual" quality of the diamonds vs. an "assumed" quality. An eyeclean SI2 is just as pretty as an internally flawless diamond.

Now if you/she prefers the darkness or coloration that J provides then that could be your answer. I find people who like the "warm hue" type talk far and few between.

There is a lot open on the cut aspect of this thread and that info would help but like I said, if close enough then no question what the right course is...

Marty
CEO/Pres
Diamond Brokerage Service, Inc
www.dbsdiamonds.com

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 4:56:59 PM
Author: dbsdiamonds
Certainly ''lesser cut'' should be defined. But if getting close to an apple to apple comparison, brilliance not being an issue, and not dealing with visibly included SI2''s then I''d personally pay for things I can see, not things I can''t.

Size and color are ''visible'' factors. Clarity, if eyeclean, being a non-visible factor becomes the ''C'' that I''d sacrifice on. Of course GIA or AGS to start to vet out the ''actual'' quality of the diamonds vs. an ''assumed'' quality. An eyeclean SI2 is just as pretty as an internally flawless diamond.

Now if you/she prefers the darkness or coloration that J provides then that could be your answer. I find people who like the ''warm hue'' type talk far and few between.

There is a lot open on the cut aspect of this thread and that info would help but like I said, if close enough then no question what the right course is...

Marty
CEO/Pres
Diamond Brokerage Service, Inc
www.dbsdiamonds.com
I would also ask how much "lesser" are we talking?

To Marty: are you saying that Js are DARK in addition to somewhat warmly colored?
BB

anthony187

Rough_Rock
I know that I wasn''t that clear hear I will be a little more detailed. I have been looking at a diamond online and ACA I VS1 1.22 carat. I also looked today at a B&M and saw a 1.42 round EGL cert D colour looked like a D maybe an E when compared to similar GIA''s and it was a SI2 Not excatly eyeclean, good cut. both are around the same price.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Get the ACA!
That way you don''t have to question the quality. Plus I would want an eye clean stone in an engagement ring. Good Luck
35.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
ACA I VS 1.22 all the way.

The only thing I would swap is maybe from VS1 to VS2 and a little bigger. But an EGL random-cut SI2? I don''t care if its D, the chances of the cut being excellent are slim. The chances that it is eyeclean are not great. It might even have the same diameter as the 1.22 ct ACA.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi there and Welcome Anthony, I would choose the 1.22 J ACA.
1.gif

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 8:21:56 PM
Author: anthony187
I know that I wasn't that clear hear I will be a little more detailed. I have been looking at a diamond online and ACA I VS1 1.22 carat. I also looked today at a B&M and saw a 1.42 round EGL cert D colour looked like a D maybe an E when compared to similar GIA's and it was a SI2 Not excatly eyeclean, good cut. both are around the same price.

With this additional info, I will definitely go with the ACA.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results