shape
carat
color
clarity

PrecisionGem 1001 - Rubellite Tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi guys! I was looking at this Gem 1001 - Rubellite Tourmaline from Gene. I like the color alot! Can I have your opinion please! TIA

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
2.05 ct. A very nice color stone that is loop clean. This one is cut in a long cushion shape. The color holds in any light, showing a bit more purple in the red in daylight. Measures 9.03 x 6.31 mm

Color: 8
Clarity: 10
Brilliance: 5

Total Quality Rating: 9.0

RT1001.jpg

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
it''s quite a pretty shade of red

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I was looking at it too! though not seriously to buy.
I think it''s kinda wonderful, would make a GREAT east west ring!
And the price is as excellent as Gene''s cutting.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a lovely colour. What will you do with it?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I like anything red and from Gene.
3.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I actually really like the rubellite that Bob Kast cut for Cellentani. Have you thought of emailing him?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2010 7:14:14 PM
Author: chictomato
2.05 ct. A very nice color stone that is loop clean. This one is cut in a long cushion shape. The color holds in any light, showing a bit more purple in the red in daylight. Measures 9.03 x 6.31 mm

Color: 8
Clarity: 10
Brilliance: 5

Total Quality Rating: 9.0
It looks a bit garnet like in the photo, which isn''t a positive for a rubellite, but Gene has a no questions asked return policy, so maybe it''s worth a look.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful. And Gene''s prices are good so I''d give it a shot.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all!
I have no intention to set it yet:) I It will probably go into my tiny collection first. Yes I would love to see it IRL, hopefully its as red as it can be, will certainly post more photos when it arrives:) by the way, there is this pretty purple spinel that I have looking at for quite a while. But it seems like there is no taker. I was thinking of getting it send over together with the rubellite. What do you think? here it is.

Gem 775 - Purple Spinel - 1.72 ct. A purple stone from Morogoro Tanzania, cut in a new design I just came up with. A very clean stone with good crystal. The stone is slightly off center in the picture and that''s why the culet doesn''t look centered, it is in reality. Measures 6.02 x 7.53 mm. Color 3+, Clarity 4+

pl_775_thumbnail_1.png

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi, chictomato. The rubellite is pretty, I look forward to more photos.
Regarding the spinel, I''ve asked Gene for another photo previously and this is what he sent, I think it shows the faceting nicely. Hope this helps.

Gene-purple-spinel.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2010 12:53:04 AM
Author: 1001smiles
Hi, chictomato. The rubellite is pretty, I look forward to more photos.
Regarding the spinel, I''ve asked Gene for another photo previously and this is what he sent, I think it shows the faceting nicely. Hope this helps.
That spinel is a little too greyish for me, but perhaps you can ask Gene for a discount. It''s been on his site forever. Doesn''t hurt to ask.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all thanks to all the inputs!

Indylady- Yes I saw Bob Kast rubellite prior to Genes'. Personally I like Gene's red a little more thank you for the suggestion!

1001smiles- thanks that photo certainly helps alot! Purple spinel Gem 775 was described by Gene as "a stronger purple in daylight and in incandescent looses some saturation" does "loses saturation" indicates that it tends to turn greyish?

Last one up is this Chrome Tourmaline, do let me know your views and which 2 stones will you choose out of the 3? and can I know the reason?

here are the specs
Weight: 2.41 ct.
Size(WxLxH): 9.5 x 8.3 x 5.3

No yellowish tone, precision cut as described by vendor. Will it show a window if a concave-cut oval is cut too shallow? Does the measurements seem fine?

TIA!
1.gif

mod_resize_img_2.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Color of that rubelite does look a bit rhodolitish and if he has something similar done in garnets I''d probably pick one of those and save some money. But of course, there''s a question of light performance, cause tourmalines and garnets have different optical properties so they might "behave" differently. Spinel is a nice stone, I''m sure it''s very sparkly and I wouldn''t be surprised if it even shows some obvious dispersion, so eventhough the color is similar to some more affordable stones (like Rose de France amethyst), I''m sure it''s light performance is beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene''s rubellite looks garnet-y to me as well but does it matter if YOU like it?
2.gif
The second larger picture of the purple spinel does it better credit. Somewhat grayish but the cutting is nice. Yes, he''s saying it will appear more grayish under incandescent lighting.

While the chrome looks pretty, I wonder if it will be too dark because the tweezers are practically white.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Chrome tourmaline could indeed be quite dark, but without additional photos you can''t know for sure how much will that be. Of the three stones I''d probably go with the spinel and the chrome tourmaline. Eventhough rubelite is nice in it''s own right, I think lighter tone of spinel would probably bring out the interesting facet pattern much better than in the rubelite, and it would also benefit the it''s dispersion. About the chrome tourmaline, I don''t know if it''s even technically possible to cut concaves too shallow and create a window, and I''ve honestly never seen a window in such a cutting style.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all thanks for all the valuable input:) Yes I will post more photos when I received them to see if I should keep or have it return. TIA

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/16/2010 11:05:40 PM
Hi all thanks for all the valuable input:) Yes I will post more photos when I received them to see if I should keep or have it return. TIA
O yes I had purchased all the 3 stones:) hopefully I do not need to return them!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Wow, someone''s been busy!
31.gif

I hope you like them all.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Looking forward to seeing your new gems!!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/18/2010 6:24:35 AM
Author: virgoruby
31.gif

Thanks to all the inputs! I will post some RL photos when they arrives:)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/18/2010 11:42:05 PM
Date: 3/18/2010 6:24:35 AM

Author: virgoruby

31.gif

Thanks to all the inputs! I will post some RL photos when they arrives:)

Hi there! Gene''s rubellite and spinel has arrived
1.gif

Here are the picts IRL.

The rubellite seems a little oranegy red in incandescent light as shown in the pict and purplish red in daylight. Do let me know your honest view if its a keeper or not? I actually prefer it to be purplish red in all lighting. Is that possible?

The other one is the purple spinel, really nice dispersion. Gets a little gray in the sunlight, as per Gene''s description. But I thought its pretty, except its a little small.

The Rubellite cushion is highly include, about 3 carats, poorly cut as you can see:) got it free from a jeweler friend.

Please let me know your views:) It doesn''t need to always be a positive one
2.gif

Photo0165.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
group pict

Photo0187.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
purple spinel

Photo0171.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/3/2010 5:04:23 AM
purple spinel
Under sunlight

Photo0173.jpg

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like all 3.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I really like Gene''s rubellite - it has a good colour & looks even better than Gene''s pic.

I am not sure about the purple spinel though... it looks very sparkly, but the colour seems (to me) a bit grey & washed out in sunlight..

The rubellite cushion that you got from your jeweller friend seems to have a nice reddish colour also; however how badly included is it? Do you like it? In any case, you said you got it free, right? so you have nothing to lose!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honest opinion as you asked ..........

The Rubellite has a gorgeous proper Rubellite daylight colour (perhaps a tad too dark with a bit of extinction) BUT the incandescent colour (orangey-red) is NOT what I would expect to see from a good high quality Rubellite. Rubellite should hold it's colour and shouldn't shift to any other colour than a purple/red. Poor quality Rubellites turn brown/red in incandescent lighting and whilst yours doesn't do that, it's still going to have brown if it's looking orangey.

However, the purple Spinel I adore. It's gorgeous - much better than Gene's photos of it. For me, (and I'm a Rubellite lover) the Spinel is the winner of the bunch.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I really like the purple spinel.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results