shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre-Owned good as new?

Joel21

Rough_Rock
Is a diamond that has previously belonged to someone else as good as a new one? Do they 'wear' like other things or do they always look new when you clean them? And does the price go up or down with older diamonds? Total noob here, and I appreciate all the help I can get.

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
- In general, diamonds do not hold their value. True, there have been moments when people could sell their diamond for more than they bought it for, but that's pretty rare.

- Therefore, in general, buying pre-owned will save you money. People are usually selling for a somewhat time-sensitive reason, so are willing to swallow a large loss just to get the funds they need.

- There is a pre-loved section here on Pricescope. It's on the drop-down menu under "Pricescope Cafe" when you hover over the Forum tab. Since Pricescope has no way to transfer funds, people usually link to a listing on either Loupetroop or DiamondBistro, the two most reputable diamond reselling sites. If I were you, I'd browse the Pre-Loved section first because Pricescopers tend to choose very high-quality stones and create beautiful settings with master jewelers.

- For the most part, diamonds don't "wear." The exception is if the previous owner whacked it by accident and chipped it - but you would ALWAYS only buy a diamond that had a return time-period during which you can bring the stone to an appraiser to check for damage.

- The "age" of a diamond doesn't really affect its selling value. The supply/demand for that stone's combination of cut/color/clarity/ct at any point in time dictates its value. If you want a rarer stone (say, a high color, high clarity true Old European Cut), you can expect to pay more in the second-hand market than someone who's looking for a common stone (modern round brilliant.)

Joel21

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all the information you provided. I'll be sure to check out the pre-loved section. I know I wouldn't mind saving some money while getting something really special with some history attached to it.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. Pre-owned is a great way to get a better bigger diamond. Kind of like how buying a pre-owned car can be a great savings!

Joel21

Rough_Rock
pearaffair|1478047606|4092812 said:
Yep. Pre-owned is a great way to get a better bigger diamond. Kind of like how buying a pre-owned car can be a great savings!
That makes total sense, but it's also a great feeling to get something brand new and know that you're the first one to own it. I guess either way there are pros and cons and you just have to decide what works for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results