carat
color
clarity

Power. What is yours/source?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Define it any way you like. Then, where possible, describe it for us PS'ers......because we all like narratives (e.g. what it is for you? how did you obtain, create, or find it? if it was lost, how was it found? where it is, how do you maintain it.....)

What does "your power" mean to you?

cheers--Sharon:read:

Reactions: AV_

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you're not asking about hydro vs natural gas, right? :mrgreen:

I'd have to say that my personal power (self worth/self-esteem) comes from being educated and working hard to be good (and successful) at what I do. And on being kind, smart, funny, adventurous, a good friend and a good cook, and someone who loves animals to a ridiculous level. I also value being financially and emotionally independent. Knowing that no matter what, I'll figure it out and I'll be ok. That I can take care of myself, even if I don't always have to. That brings a fair degree of personal power with it too. I think it's hard to feel good about yourself if you're dependent on someone else. This I learned from being single and living on my own and being ok. Not marrying too young before I had seasoning under my belt. I had 12 years between leaving home and getting married, and in that time I learned how much I was able to do on my own.

How I value myself and others is definitely not based on looks. It's on whatever thing that makes someone unique. Finding something you're good at and valuing it, rather than dismissing it as unimportant. That said, I wouldn't say no to a higher metabolism...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's electric, boogie woogie woogie!

My cats (don't you grab my pussies!) are what keep me going. If some dumbass left me and my brother OUTSIDE a shelter instead of calling ahead and notifying them in DECEMBER that we were being dropped off, and then I would spend the next year plus between a shelter and a petco cage I'd just die. Really. And lose faith in humanity. But guess what, kitty #1 came home with us and not only does she have an unending supply of love for her human mama and daddy, she's also got all this love to give and patience to boot when it comes to her 3 younger sisters. So that's an example of the stuff that keeps me going.

The home we bought, the renovations we did and the decor we have are all with the cats in mind. I love them with all my bean heart!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread!

Mine is not really needing anybody. I do need people in general - a tribe, a community - but I don't need any one person so much that I can't live without them. I've thrown lots of people out of my life for treating me like crap. Some of them were very longterm relationships and they were very surprised. I've gone through intense, lasting periods of bereavement and then loneliness, and I've learned I can survive it, so there's no need to put up with a bad friendship or relationship.

I draw my strength from a large community and I have different communities - work, volunteering - so I know many people. Safety in numbers, and no one's indispensable. Sadly, because I have a nice, accommodating demeanour - I'm not an obvious "I-am-woman-hear-me-roar" type - it often goes unnoticed that I'm strong and extremely independent until someones treats me like sh*t and then it's too late!

So, my power comes from knowing that I can survive the loss of pretty much anyone. And not only survive it, but thrive and meet new people that are better and nicer.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get my energy (power) from the calories in my food.
Several things in our house get their energy from batteries.
My car uses gas.

... or were you referring to what, (coal, hydro, wind, solar, nuclear, coal, natural gas, oil, etc.) is the source of the electricity delivered to our house?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, very interesting question. I would say that on a basic level I get my power from connection.
Connection to people, pets, nature, inner creative self. When I feel "powerless" I know that I've somehow gotten disconnected.
What made you think of this question, if I may ask?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds cliche' but for me it's knowledge, doing my own research and not just accepting what someone is telling me. Case in point, my recent diagnosis of acid reflux. The doctor tells me to take medication but to me that's just a bandaid, treating the symptom not the actual problem. I read as much as I could and decided to change my diet and lifestyle instead.

Also just yesterday I was unfriended by a friend of my husband's for commenting on a topic he posted. I have a rather unpopular view on certain subjects but I'm comfortable with that because I've done my own research and determined what's right for me. Apparently he couldn't handle that and that's okay. I just can't follow the crowd on certain things.

Also intuition is a big one, I've found that listening to my intuition gives me power, it's tapping into yourself on a higher level and using that to guide you.

Being my own person who follows her gut and is true to herself is where I get my power from.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Humour. I lack any kind of physical or social finesse. But I can and do laugh and make others laugh all the time. It breaks up stress and anxiety. If ever in doubt of my tone, assume I think I'm being funny. I may not be successful at it 100% of the time, or maybe even 50% of the time, but IRL I laugh more than anyone else I know.:D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still can't wrap my head around the use of the term 'power' here.

Do you mean self confidence, or peace, or something?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread Sharon!

I get my power/energy from my loved ones mainly my dh and fur babies. But I also derive my strength from a sense of self worth and confidence that no matter what holds steady through it all. Thanks to my parents who gave me a great childhood and unconditional love and support making me a strong independent person. However we don't operate in a vacuum and my dh truly provides me a sense of well being and love that allows me to thrive and grow and flourish. Connections in life are critical to one's well being IMO.

Kenny, I take Power here to mean inner strength and peace in one's self and one's existence. However Sharon made it open ended on purpose so there really is no right or wrong in what you take power to mean...people vary.8-)

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When dealing with the potholes in life, I use humour, knowledge, etc.
When the bridge is washed out, or there's a mountain that needs to be climbed, that's when I need to pull out the big guns and draw upon stronger 'POWER' sources.
Its great to have wonderful people who believe in my abilities, but to strengthen those abilities and internal resources (confidence, whatever), I've noted the following.

When younger, I would draw upon the strength of my ancestors or people in history.
I'd think 'they got through that, I can get through this'.

As I've lived a bit longer and encountered more situations, I'll sometimes get strength by thinking 'I've gotten through that, I can get through this'.

So I guess I draw upon power gained through inspiration from what others have overcome and confidence from what I've overcome.

I also place faith in a higher power, which I call 'God'. Before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, my belief isn't meant to offend or reflect on anyone else. If you believe the World is flat, I'm just gonna' shrug and say 'that's nice'. I know its round, but I won't hyperventilate and have a hissy fit until you agree with me. (All said with respect and humour.) ;-)

Oh, and chocolate! A power source which should be used only in small doses and moderation.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If I had any, I'd wash it off; I only use this word for politics (inasmuch, I am surprised enough by this question, to write on a two years old thread!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results