carat
color
clarity

Potential black tahiti pendant ring purchase advises

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Since there is no standard grading scale for pearls used everywhere, it can mean anything. You may want to ask the seller what AAA means to them. They don't show a appraisal so it may be their guess. Will the ring be worn as a ring or as a pendant? Since the shank is split, if her finger is smaller than the ring, sizing it may be a problem. Not much of a sizing bar in the bottom of the shank. When I look at this ring it looks out of proprotion. Size of pearl to weight of the ring mount. These type seem to spin on the finger instead of staying upright when worn. If you think she will wear it as a pendant neither of these observations will matter.

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
I have no idea of her ring size.
It will most probably be a pendant for her.
I browsed through lotsa black pearl ring online (purepearl, pearl of joy, pearl paradise and what have you), unless I get a smaller 8-9mm size, it seems like those 11mm and above are all not proportionate to the ring. I thought that is the whole idea!
In fact, I am drawn to pearl paradise pixie ring, which is even more "top heavy". Honestly I thought thats the look?

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
not a smoking deal but not a rip off either, gold is terribly expensive right now and of lot of what you're paying for is the setting. It does seem to be a nice looking pearl of good quality and color.

Sizing is going to be super important here, too loose and it will turn like other posters have mentioned, you're going to want this ring pretty snug.

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
I have enquired, the seller is able to to remake the ring to fit. I can purchase the ring and if the size does not fit, the ring can then be shipped back for remake. She will cover the one way shipping fee back. I intend to pay for the remake fee upfront so the recipient need not make additional payment.

She is grading according to the Tahitian grading standard. She said that that the pearl is glued securely in place. Are all pearl ring glued? Wouldn't it fall out after contact with water and daily wear?

That is a 18 K piece, most online rings are in 14 K, what's the reason? In Asia, 18 K is the norm, you do not see 14 K or lesser in the jewellery shop.

Is this a better one to go for? around 11mm, AAA peacock too. There is significant difference in price, is it due to the size of the pearl? this second one is 10.9mm the first is 11.5mm. Its a mere 0.6mm. Are you able to tell the size difference?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AAA10-9MM-PEACOCK-TAHITIAN-SEA-PEARL-RING-G18K-DIAMOND-/180542676978?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item2a092e9ff2#ht_3545wt_1018

Thank you for helping a clueless buyer.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I think the pearl in the first link you provided looks much nicer than the pearl in the second link - at least by what the pictures show. However, purchasing a ring and then having to have it re-sized sounds like potential problems could arise for the woman receiving the gift.

An 11-12mm AAA grade tahitian pearl from pearl paradise would be $240. This is the same size as the pearl in the first pearl ring link you are considering. 18K pendant findings are an additional $140-200, depending on which pendant you choose.

You could contact pearl paradise and ask them to send you photos of some AAA Tahitian pearls and see if there are any you like. If you look at the thread "Opinions on this Pearl?" below, Pearl Paradise sent some pictures to Calibali here on Pricescope, and she ended up choosing a gorgeous blue Tahitian pearl, the right one on the bottom row (scroll down to see all the pictures).

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinions-on-this-pearl.164259/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinions-on-this-pearl.164259/[/URL]

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
I prefer to get a ready piece of jewellery to save all the hassle.
I can't decide on a pendant or ring as yet.
It is not meant for a lover. It's meant for a lady superior who has been guiding me since I started in the firm as a fresh grad.
So any possibility that the glue thingy might loosen and out rolls the pearl? Is glueing a common practice for pearl ring. I need to ask to save any future embarrassment.

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Is glueing a common practice for pearl ring. I need to ask to save any future embarrassment.

Yes this is how rings, pendants and earrings are set. The glue used is waterproof, sort of like a jewelers version of super glue. Pearls do on occasion come loose from their posts but 9/10 it will wiggle a little before it actually falls off, so there's plenty of warning - but this is really rare, not something you're likely to encounter.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Stonerocks|1316485283|3021094 said:
I have enquired, the seller is able to to remake the ring to fit. I can purchase the ring and if the size does not fit, the ring can then be shipped back for remake. She will cover the one way shipping fee back. I intend to pay for the remake fee upfront so the recipient need not make additional payment.

She is grading according to the Tahitian grading standard. She said that that the pearl is glued securely in place. Are all pearl ring glued? Wouldn't it fall out after contact with water and daily wear?

That is a 18 K piece, most online rings are in 14 K, what's the reason? In Asia, 18 K is the norm, you do not see 14 K or lesser in the jewellery shop.

Is this a better one to go for? around 11mm, AAA peacock too. There is significant difference in price, is it due to the size of the pearl? this second one is 10.9mm the first is 11.5mm. Its a mere 0.6mm. Are you able to tell the size difference?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AAA10-9MM-PEACOCK-TAHITIAN-SEA-PEARL-RING-G18K-DIAMOND-/180542676978?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item2a092e9ff2#ht_3545wt_1018

Thank you for helping a clueless buyer.

I would never buy this style. The ring was created top heavy with a large pearl and thin shank. Unless this ring is tight on the hand it will flop from side to side. Do they have any other styles with thicker shanks?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results