shape
carat
color
clarity

possible to have small diamonds added to platinum band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nycguy

Rough_Rock
hello,

i am wondering if it is possible to have a jeweler add small diamonds to a platinum band. the band is totally plain and has been in my family and so we want to use it as a wedding band but were wondering if we could add to it a little by having tiny diamonds added to give it a little sparkle. any info on what the possibilities and range of price for something like this given that we already have the platinum band would be appreciated!!

thanks!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on what the ring looks like: thickness, width, what not... but it should be feasible to have a couple of small diamonds burnish set into the band.

Make them colored, and the end result would be a rare sight. Not that there isn''t anything alike (THIS), but almost
2.gif
Since these are small dots, they''re really not that expensive.

nycguy

Rough_Rock
It is a size 6 band and it is 2.5mm thick. I dont know the depth measurement, but it is not a flat laying type of band - it is fairly bulbous (at least for a band of that size) so i''m hoping that will make it easier to add stones.

i''m thinking of more of a pave type of look or if not pave than maybe tyiny diamonds scattered througout. any pics of this being done or recommends for a jewler who does this would be great!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A sort of random arrangement would work okay. If it is a typical band it is somewhat rounded and diamonds won''t fit too close to the edge or their culets will scratch your finger. In the central, thicker zone, diamonds with depths less than about 2.2 will work okay. I suggest using a marker to make a random pattern and see what several jewelers suggest. It ought to look very nice and this is a fashionable design today.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.5mm ! That''s a thick band... I am wearing one a bit less than 2mm thick and took a week to get use to.

If the band can be paved, I have no idea how. Besides, it is the work not the material that makes pave expensive - using the respective band as base for pave can only make the end product more difficulat to achieve - as far as I know. At least my jeweler preffers to cast a lattice to fit the pave on top - there is never a solid band in the process.

Anyway, a version of the Etoile band should be readily feasible. The small diamonds can be of different sizes and shapes and the arrangement entirely up to you
1.gif

These are the obvious...

starsb.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You may want to brose Christian Bauer for some less obvious versions... (link to source)

and "Platinumsmith" here enlists a version with diamonds burnished set almost girdle to girlde I have't seen done often.
2.gif

Phillip121_full.JPG

Not sure how this works and if it is feasible, but ... anyway, there are a couple more interesting burnish set rings on his site (link to gallery).

nycguy

Rough_Rock
thanks for the suggestions!

acutally, 2.5mm is pretty thin ring - i think you may have thought i was referring to depth or something.

my e-ring is a very thin tiffany knife edge and it is also 2.5mm although it is deeper (comes up higher).

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum Smith, I LOVE your work!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock

Hi all,

Thanks Maxine and thanks Valeria for showing my piece:

The setting technique is a cross between prong setting and rubbed-over. Where stones are set girdle-to-girdle where you have to make adjustments for size etc. I had to undercut most of them and clamp the prongs over their cut grooves. The models are marginally splayed to allow for the clamping - the splayed areas are bought flush through the finishing process.

Just to note: the first Tiffany ring was badly set or polished.

You can''t fit many diamonds on a 2''5mm wide band ''nyc'', .5pt''ers max in the band of mine Valleria showed you, but I don''t think you will find anybody to do it for you. For a better affect it would be advisable to add metal to the topside, creating an arc. It isn''t that hard to do, but a bit out of the norm, and in my experience - jewellers hate that.

Pave'' for this band is easy. I usually pave set from a raw band. It does take a little more time, there is a lot of engraving and cutting to do, but a setter experienced in this work won''t have any trouble at all.

There are more options. You can have it channel set with a row of princess cuts or .3pt brilliant cuts.

I think from your point of view you should find a shop, which is geared up for this type of work. These are actually not skills readily come by, so invariably the good shop will have contacts in the jewellery trade that are ready to do work for them - in my experience. They charge accordingly to the fact they get things right/how you want, and know the business well enough and have bench-workers keen enough to do their work. They mark-up their prices regardless of what they are charged because their fussy customers will certainly go red if they see a defect, so they need to find ones who can - and they come at a price.

Could be easy,

Phillip

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results