shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible light leakage + arrows issue

Highsmith

Rough_Rock
Hi all! :wavey:

My BF proposed on February with a 6-prong platinum ring with a MMD from James Allen, and I have been lurking in the shadows ever since. After so much reading, I thought I would introduce myself and ask you some doubts.

So far I have found the forum to be extremely educational and the PSers very friendly, so let's say I went down the rabbit hole... now, I don't intend to exchange my diamond or to upgrade it by any means, because I LOVE it and what it means, plus it sparkles a lot and throws lots of fire. However, I would definitely like to address some issues that have been slightly troubling me and that I do not know if they are normal, or due to some possible light leakage.

From what I've been reading here, I believe my MMD might have some sort of light leakage due to the proportions/cut. It is graded as an ideal cut (but you all know that it doesn't necessarily mean it is really a great cut), and the proportions seem to be within GIA Excellent and close to AGS0, but out of the range. It also scores above 2 on the HCA due to the steep pavilion angle I think. Below are the specs:

0.70 ct. F SI1

Table 57%
Depth 62.3%
Crown angle 34.5º
Pavilion angle 41.2º
Crown depth 15%
Pavilion depth 43.5%
Girdle: thin to medium, faceted
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Culet: none

It measures 5.68x5.70x3.55

Since my BF bought it and selected it himself, I do not have any ASET images, so the specs and the pictures are all I can share. The issue is that I believe there could be some sort of light leakage, because while sparkly and very fiery, I cannot seem to SPOT all the arrows or see them in the diamond with nitidity, or as clear as the pictures you guys post here. I just don't mean in the pictures, but also when looking straight at the diamond or from different angles.

In the pictures it shows a lot more 'uninteresting' and plain than IRL, and the arrows look almost always silvery. I read that this is due to the photography and the objective, which in my case (white phone case) is not of very good quality and not black, so it is not reflected black. However, when I look straight into the diamond IRL I can see most of the arrows, but not all of them, as it is usually hard to spot the points or 'heads' of 2 of them. I also do not see them as 'nitid' as the pictures I see here.

Could this be due to the steep pavilion angle causing some light leakage, or lack of contrast? Please let me know what you think!

Below are some pictures in different lighting conditions, please bear with me...

arrows03.JPG arrows.JPG arrows02.JPG

fire02.JPG fire03.JPG fire04.JPG

Highsmith

Rough_Rock
I don't know how to edit the post, so I am just adding some more pictures. It is hard to get decent pics... sorry. ring.JPG ring02.JPG

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how to edit the post, so I am just adding some more pictures. It is hard to get decent pics... sorry. ring.JPG ring02.JPG

Do you happen to know the certificate number? I'm curious what the inclusions are.

Highsmith

Rough_Rock
Do you happen to know the certificate number? I'm curious what the inclusions are.

I do have the certificate number, but it does not list the inclusions, just that it is graded SI1... It is IGI certified, with report nr. LG11579018.

I contacted them enquiring about it, but the gemologist who graded the stone did not leave any notes. They said the grading may have been due to feathers and crystals not viewable to the naked eye, but must have been just a guess.

Do you think it could be a clarity issue rather than light leakage, or both? Please share your honest opinion, I want to know and won't be offended by any means! :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do have the certificate number, but it does not list the inclusions, just that it is graded SI1... It is IGI certified, with report nr. LG11579018.

I contacted them enquiring about it, but the gemologist who graded the stone did not leave any notes. They said the grading may have been due to feathers and crystals not viewable to the naked eye, but must have been just a guess.

Do you think it could be a clarity issue rather than light leakage, or both? Please share your honest opinion, I want to know and won't be offended by any means! :)

I was trying to think whether not seeing all the arrows could be due to a "cloudy" appearance. But from the photos it's hard to tell. I know this will sound insane, but can you get an empty toilet paper roll and put your ring at the bottom of it and then take a picture? It should help us see the arrows more clearly.

Highsmith

Rough_Rock
I was trying to think whether not seeing all the arrows could be due to a "cloudy" appearance. But from the photos it's hard to tell. I know this will sound insane, but can you get an empty toilet paper roll and put your ring at the bottom of it and then take a picture? It should help us see the arrows more clearly.

lol no worries, I'll try that tonight and see how it goes. Thank you!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
looks about right for the numbers.
That combo depending on specifics may have some minor leakage but what your seeing is that combo does not pop the arrows.
The 41.2 pavilion draws light from around you unless extremely over obstructed.
One expert likes that kind of combo for exactly that reason.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks about right for the numbers.
That combo depending on specifics may have some minor leakage but what your seeing is that combo does not pop the arrows.
The 41.2 pavilion draws light from around you unless extremely over obstructed.
One expert likes that kind of combo for exactly that reason.
I was just about to say - if it's the expert I'm thinking of, didn't he say this sort of combination should be excellent for fire and have better off-axis performance than a slightly shallower pavilion version??

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was just about to say - if it's the expert I'm thinking of, didn't he say this sort of combination should be excellent for fire and have better off-axis performance than a slightly shallower pavilion version??
He did. the tradeoff is contrast face up is less which he doesnt personaly like the looks of..... many do.
I consider it his peronal preference.

Highsmith

Rough_Rock
OK, so I tried the toilet paper roll experiment lovedogs! So far, so good! I believe it is the first time I manage to see ALL the arrows. Some of them appear black and some silvery, but I think that is due to my (lack of) photography skills and the fact that my phone's back (with which I take the pictures) is white... it must be reflecting somehow, I guess.
arrows zoom 02.JPG arrows zoom.JPG

If I understand it well, the fact that is difficult to see the arrows so clearly would be due to the crown/pavilion angle combo. Is that right?

Sorry for the not-so-good pictures, and thank you all for your input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results