carat
color
clarity

Possible crystal opal earrings

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone!

I've seen some absolutely stunning earrings of various incarnations posted lately. I adore earrings and am hankering after some opal and diamond earrings, obviously in the very early stages of thoughts and design.
I've sourced one translucent crystal opal that is 35ct and in the process of trying to get it matched as closely as possible in weight and shape, although I'm flexible on the colour play as slightly different is fine.

So, asking for opinions on whether you lovely PS friends think this has potential to look cool as a pair of drop earrings?
Obviously it's super hard to capture all the colours in one go and it is brighter in real life, but I'm super intrigued by the size and would love to do some sort of halo with old cut meele maybe? Translucent crystal opal is much more subtle, but I like that, it feels a little different.

The main colours are blue, purple and small flashes of green.
Thanks for your input, especially interested in the Queen of opals opinion @Bron357. Hope you don't mind the tag into this post.

Photos:
DSC_0801.JPG DSC_0797.JPG DSC_0793.JPG
And I'm super sorry about my extremely dry hands, we're in the depths of winter here in NZ!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone!

I've seen some absolutely stunning earrings of various incarnations posted lately. I adore earrings and am hankering after some opal and diamond earrings, obviously in the very early stages of thoughts and design.
I've sourced one translucent crystal opal that is 35ct and in the process of trying to get it matched as closely as possible in weight and shape, although I'm flexible on the colour play as slightly different is fine.

So, asking for opinions on whether you lovely PS friends think this has potential to look cool as a pair of drop earrings?
Obviously it's super hard to capture all the colours in one go and it is brighter in real life, but I'm super intrigued by the size and would love to do some sort of halo with old cut meele maybe? Translucent crystal opal is much more subtle, but I like that, it feels a little different.

The main colours are blue, purple and small flashes of green.
Thanks for your input, especially interested in the Queen of opals opinion @Bron357. Hope you don't mind the tag into this post.

Photos:
DSC_0801.JPG DSC_0797.JPG DSC_0793.JPG
And I'm super sorry about my extremely dry hands, we're in the depths of winter here in NZ!
tell me about it !
its freezing cold in Wanganui tonight
that's a very very pretty gem
good luck with finding its mate

just woundering how heavy is it ?
it looks a generous size

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I wonder how tricky it is to match such a stone if it has not been cut as one of a pair. The idea of translucent drops with coloured spangles, is very fun!

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
tell me about it !
its freezing cold in Wanganui tonight
that's a very very pretty gem
good luck with finding its mate

just woundering how heavy is it ?
it looks a generous size
Hi Daisys and Diamonds! It's cold down south!
I actually weighed it this morning, but can't remember what it was. I weigh jewellery all day at my job so it all becomes a blur at this time of the day.
It is not heavy to my mind, but I'll have to keep in mind the final product if I can find another.:pray:

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I wonder how tricky it is to match such a stone if it has not been cut as one of a pair. The idea of translucent drops with coloured spangles, is very fun!
AV, Hi! Yeah it's a bit of a long shot, but I thought it can't hurt to give it a go.
I love the purple and blue stripes, really different to the kinds of patterns and play of colour in black and even boulder opal.

Reactions: AV_

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FYI
5ct=1gm so 35ct=7gm.

Then add the setting, so maybe a total weight per ear of 12gm?

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
FYI
5ct=1gm so 35ct=7gm.

Then add the setting, so maybe a total weight per ear of 12gm?
Thanks prs! Appreciate that.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opal lover reporting for duty.
Yes, that would be a crystal opal. Beautiful.
It will however be nigh impossible to find a similar match. Usually you need the one piece of rough to cut from to get similar.
Me, I’d consider cutting the opal into two parts. Not necessarily to match shapes exactly, I find mismatched gems interesting.
I’d get the opal pieces drilled and a top mount attached, like they do with pearls. It will cost an arm and a leg to bezel set them. A frame setting will be problematic as the opals are very translucent so you’ll see the mounting through the opal, I’d then do 3 small round green gems in a line as a “drop” say 4 mm, above the opal. I’d choose green (emerald, Tourmaline or peridot), purple (amethyst) and light blue (blue topaz, aquamarine).

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Bron357 your comments echo what I was thinking about if I can't get a match, which is super unlikely. Essentially cutting it down the middle into two different shapes. I'd love to have two slivers of the opal the same size and shape but slimmer. I don't think that's possible though, a tad risky!

Hadn't thought about coloured stones, but I did think about maybe having blue pearls as studs with the opal dropping from that. The jeweller who made my new e-ring makes stunning jewellery from blue pearls in Akaroa, NZ. Could be a nice and slightly more unique combo.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving Bron's idea of slicing it in half & adding complementary coloured gems to it! :dance:

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Loving Bron's idea of slicing it in half & adding complementary coloured gems to it! :dance:
Yes GilderPoss, it is certainly big enough to be able to halve.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bron357 your comments echo what I was thinking about if I can't get a match, which is super unlikely. Essentially cutting it down the middle into two different shapes. I'd love to have two slivers of the opal the same size and shape but slimmer. I don't think that's possible though, a tad risky!

Hadn't thought about coloured stones, but I did think about maybe having blue pearls as studs with the opal dropping from that. The jeweller who made my new e-ring makes stunning jewellery from blue pearls in Akaroa, NZ. Could be a nice and slightly more unique combo.
Opals aren’t too difficult or risky to cut, experienced opal cutters can do micro slivers when cutting.
I’d cut “9 o’clock across to 3 o’clock (as you’re holding it). Gentle shaping to even up size and shape. That would be like 2 triangle shapes, set with the point to the top. Maybe ask Jordy for help / direction.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

oh i love those pau pearls
i think that would look stunning

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So I'm getting the opal cut! Lengthways. If you can imagine 2 teardrops but slightly flat on one side?

Can't wait to see it in 2 pieces now.

Reactions: AV_

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I've received the separated pieces of my opal today. It's come down to 29.57ct total, which is fine as the pieces are now a perfect size for earrings.
I'm wanting to make them as versatile as possible so I can wear them with my Tahitian pearl strand, so my plan is to make them with a loop on the top so the kind of work like a jacket. Then I can swap them over with any further pearl stud earrings I get in the future. I already have Tahitian studs, so looking at branching out into others asap!

SSW, baroque Tahitian and NZ blue pearls studs could all work well?
DSC_0815.JPG DSC_0818.JPG DSC_0829.JPG

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Weeivy73!! These look FABULOUS!!

Splitting your lovely stone was a wonderful decision - love it with the pearls! Have you thought of something using chalcedony, also? Wow - you could really rock the blues!!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! I can't wait to see the final product!
I think cutting them was wise. My earlobes were ripping in pain just thinking about two 30+ ct stones hanging from them lol

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@Weeivy73!! These look FABULOUS!!

Splitting your lovely stone was a wonderful decision - love it with the pearls! Have you thought of something using chalcedony, also? Wow - you could really rock the blues!!
Thanks mrs-b! I was so happy with the shape and size of the 2 pieces, much more manageable now! I hadn't thought of chalcedony what a cool idea.
Do you think the idea of making the opals like a 'jacket' I can put with lots of future pairs of stud earrings is good?

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Love it! I can't wait to see the final product!
I think cutting them was wise. My earlobes were ripping in pain just thinking about two 30+ ct stones hanging from them lol
Thanks telephone89, yes I also was concerned as even though the opal itself didn't feel heavy at all, there's the setting to factor in. Also cutting them has made them look less 'costume-y' if you know what I mean? I wore massive earrings as a teenager in the 80's and don't wanna go back there lol

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks mrs-b! I was so happy with the shape and size of the 2 pieces, much more manageable now! I hadn't thought of chalcedony what a cool idea.
Do you think the idea of making the opals like a 'jacket' I can put with lots of future pairs of stud earrings is good?

It wouldn't be my first choice, but they're not my earrings. If jackets work for you - then definitely have them made that way. If they were mine, I think I'd probably do a slightly asymmetric disc in either platinum or white gold and have it pave'd like my sparkly doo-dad bracelet. I'd have the opals hand from there. Do you want to wear them casually or as dress earrings? if casually, the disc idea would work well with the opals as jackets. If dressy, you could have the cap which would be over the end of the opal pave's as well. White sparkle would work fabulously with that style!

ETA I wouldn't do them in yellow gold - the color of your opals is so soft and delicate, I think yellow gold would overwhelm them.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE them and LOVE them with those pearls!! :kiss2::geek2: They're still large, but they're not overwhelming - they'll make a glorious and elegant (and very non-teenage-ey!) statement :cool2:

So... tell us what you're thinking for settings! The pearl strand is simple and clean, so you probably wouldn't want the earrings to be supremely ornate, but a little decoration could bring out the colours in the crystal...

I really like the idea of having them dangle chubby end up, rather than the more classic "pear shape" dangle - orientation would be a little more modern, a little more edgy, and it'd give you a little more space to work with above the opal. Like @mrs-b I think jackets can be challenging (doable! But challenging) because... how do I say this? I find that when I'm doing pieces that are "meant to go with many other pieces" - I tend to dull their personality and individuality in an effort to make them visually compatible with a variety of other designs. And then I don't reach for them because I find them bland... which was of course the point :roll2: If you do jackets I'd recommend choosing one or two studs you'd like to wear them with and make them complement those specific pairs, and not worry one bit about how they'll look with any other studs!

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vaguely like this. I love the top-heavy look... and I think brushed gold would work beautifully with those opals and would complement the clasp on that strand... Edit - Rethinking. I wouldn't do traditional 14/18k YG either though, I agree the metal will overwhelm the delicate crystal. But I don't like opals in white metal. Cue plug for unplated WG for a creamy warmth :mrgreen2:

These are too angular and geometric. But something this-esque.

upload_2019-8-8_13-28-13.png

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What colour is your hair @Weeivy73? And what length?

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It wouldn't be my first choice, but they're not my earrings. If jackets work for you - then definitely have them made that way. If they were mine, I think I'd probably do a slightly asymmetric disc in either platinum or white gold and have it pave'd like my sparkly doo-dad bracelet. I'd have the opals hand from there. Do you want to wear them casually or as dress earrings? if casually, the disc idea would work well with the opals as jackets. If dressy, you could have the cap which would be over the end of the opal pave's as well. White sparkle would work fabulously with that style!

ETA I wouldn't do them in yellow gold - the color of your opals is so soft and delicate, I think yellow gold would overwhelm them.
I would like to wear them more casually. My Victorian danglers are a little fragile for everyday running round and I feel like my ruby and diamond studs are a little too fancy (although I'm known to wear both pairs to the supermarket anyway!)
I hear what your saying about the jacket idea. I think it came about as I couldn't decide what complementary accent stone would satisfy me if I made 1 pair with the opals and be done.
I prefer to bring out the blue flash in the opal rather than the green, still like the green in it, it's just not my most fav colour.
Hmmmm, I have lots going on in my head with these!

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LOVE them and LOVE them with those pearls!! :kiss2::geek2: They're still large, but they're not overwhelming - they'll make a glorious and elegant (and very non-teenage-ey!) statement :cool2:

So... tell us what you're thinking for settings! The pearl strand is simple and clean, so you probably wouldn't want the earrings to be supremely ornate, but a little decoration could bring out the colours in the crystal...

I really like the idea of having them dangle chubby end up, rather than the more classic "pear shape" dangle - orientation would be a little more modern, a little more edgy, and it'd give you a little more space to work with above the opal. Like @mrs-b I think jackets can be challenging (doable! But challenging) because... how do I say this? I find that when I'm doing pieces that are "meant to go with many other pieces" - I tend to dull their personality and individuality in an effort to make them visually compatible with a variety of other designs. And then I don't reach for them because I find them bland... which was of course the point :roll2: If you do jackets I'd recommend choosing one or two studs you'd like to wear them with and make them complement those specific pairs, and not worry one bit about how they'll look with any other studs!
Yssie, thanks for coming on board, I was hoping for your opinion as your opal and diamond earrings got me started on opal earrings! Thanks for that! I actually was playing with the opals and my Tahitian studs yesterday at work and had them up that way with the fat end at the top and the pearl above it, but wasn't sure. Maybe I need to back myself more as it looked really different but quite cool!
I had initially wanted to do a white gold fine diamond halo around the opal, but worried they might look too fancy. Plus I'm starting from scratch with my bling fund as the rest went on the setting of my ring.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I discovered joon Han jewellery on instagram and love the way she uses beautiful coloured stones in her earrings.
Love the way she puts different shapes together with slightly unusual colour combos.
This is when I started to think ahhh! Too many combos and not enough opals in my possession! Lol

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Vaguely like this. I love the top-heavy look... and I think brushed gold would work beautifully with those opals and would complement the clasp on that strand... Edit - Rethinking. I wouldn't do traditional 14/18k YG either though, I agree the metal will overwhelm the delicate crystal. But I don't like opals in white metal. Cue plug for unplated WG for a creamy warmth :mrgreen2:

These are too angular and geometric. But something this-esque.

upload_2019-8-8_13-28-13.png
Yssie, something along these lines?

Screenshot_20190809-091423.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fine diamond halo would be quite fancy IMO - because of the size of these stones! If you go that (very traditional and classic) route I'd put turn the opals chubby side down.

It wouldn't be my first choice though, personally. You've got an unusual shape that can some interesting negative space - I'd try to highlight that, whatever shape that space might be. Just an example - let's pretend I can draw straight lines.

upload_2019-8-8_14-22-3.png

That space could be filigree metalwork with a little pave, it could be pave filigree for a fancier-but-nontraditional look, plain brushed metal for a modern look...

My 2c ::)

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Fine diamond halo would be quite fancy IMO - because of the size of these stones! If you go that (very traditional and classic) route I'd put turn the opals chubby side down.

It wouldn't be my first choice though, personally. You've got an unusual shape that can some interesting negative space - I'd try to highlight that, whatever shape that space might be. Just an example - let's pretend I can draw straight lines.

upload_2019-8-8_14-22-3.png

That space could be filigree metalwork with a little pave, it could be pave filigree for a fancier-but-nontraditional look, plain brushed metal for a modern look...

My 2c ::)
Yeah I think my style is tending towards less obvious traditional, and if I want them for my Christmas pressie to me (cos I'm on ban Island with hubby!) it will be less blinged up but still interesting.
I hardly dress up, I'm very jeans and tshirt orientated, so I want these to be my go to for days when I don't just want to have my studs on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results