shape
carat
color
clarity

Porous ring? Or is this normal?

HBBN

Rough_Rock
I'm amazed my cell phone captured these photos, but I have a question to the experts. I purchased this setting last year and noticed these tiny holes to begin with when I held the ring up. I had two jewelers inspect (in addition to where I bought it from) all said was okay, that filling it in would be worse. (It's 14k white gold)

However, or maybe it is me, it appears one of the holes is getting bigger. But maybe it's just me. The jeweler who made it said "It's what we call porosity" which didn't mean a thing to me. Now that I've googled, I am seeing it's not a good thing. What could I even potentially do? It's been at least six months since I've talked to this jeweler. Is this normal to see in a halo? :errrr:

photo_1_61.jpg

photo_2_58.jpg

photo_3_49.jpg

HBBN

Rough_Rock
It's a pave halo, so you can't really see the holes from top down, but still I'm thinking there shouldn't be holes in my ring?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure which holes you are referring to but if they are the circles that are evenly spaced and of uniform size under each diamond melee under the halo, those are azures which help with keeping the diamond clean. These will not change in size over time. Porosity is different; these look like black dots than are not evenly spaced and affect the structural integrity of the setting.

azures.jpg

porosity.jpg

HBBN

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono!

Thanks for your reply!! Yes, but they're not evenly placed, that is my concern. The holes you're seeing are just those, a few on one side, one another side, and a few more on the length side of the halo. They're not placed under the diamonds, but actually it's where the metal meets in the halo, almost like the back of the chair for the seat of the pave diamond. The halo is two thin rows of pave, and it's the 'bottom' row, in between the top and bottom row where I am seeing the holes. Not noticeable from top down, but underneath and sometimes looking at it depending on light.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HBBN|1395066309|3635766 said:
Hi Chrono!

Thanks for your reply!! Yes, but they're not evenly placed, that is my concern. The holes you're seeing are just those, a few on one side, one another side, and a few more on the length side of the halo. They're not placed under the diamonds, but actually it's where the metal meets in the halo, almost like the back of the chair for the seat of the pave diamond. The halo is two thin rows of pave, and it's the 'bottom' row, in between the top and bottom row where I am seeing the holes. Not noticeable from top down, but underneath and sometimes looking at it depending on light.

It's hard to tell, but they look too large to be porous metal. :confused:

Amour_Et_Diamants

Shiny_Rock
I can't really see much from the photos, but it sounds like it could be porosity from the casting process. It could just be on the surface and nothing to worry about other than it visually. I'd go back to the jeweler to see if a remake is in the realm of possibility, and if not, since this was always part of the ring, make sure the warranty will cover the ring cracking as a normal wear repair. It's not likely that the ring will just crack, but it is possible. They can put it under a microscope to review the extent of it and go from there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results