shape
carat
color
clarity

Popularity of pearls…

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Do you think pearls are not relevant currently? Clearly no one here or you wouldn’t be participating in a Pearl discussion forum lol… but I recently sold a boatload of jewelry I no longer wear that was just taking up space and there are pieces I would like to get. The estate dealer said that people just aren’t into pearls at this time. I realize that many associate pearls with more conservative or traditional, but there are many great modern designs out there now using pearls. This was surprising (and sad) to me.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I've been in the pearl business for 20 years. Every year someone says pearls are out and then someone says pearls are coming back..and then someone says pearls are hot this year.
I'd take Dame Vivienne Westwood as more attuned to fashion than some second hand jewellery seller. There's recently a photo of her with pearls in Vogue (it's Vogue's photo so I'm not going to pinch it here)

Beaders Secret

Rough_Rock
Trade
Pearls are perennial they will never be out of vogue (or Vogue the magazine)

The estate dealer said that people just aren’t into pearls at this time.
That is a frequent trait of such buyers trying to talk down the amount to be paid to someone.

Trends can change direction, lengths vary over time, single or multiple strands come in and out of favour, but the beautiful and versatile pearl stays standing, it’s just the background changes.

Recently I am finding that requests are trending to smaller size, and shorter lengths. And the use of bright colours in other materials (gemstones/beads and bright coloured threads.)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My circumstances have changed in that I no longer work in an office that requires a more formal work attire.

Hence I seldom wear my pearls nowadays, except for the more casual pieces such as a single pearl on a wire chain as a pendant etc...

I am hanging on to the pearls I have, in case I need them for dressier occasions from time to time, and a strand of nice blue Tahitians is still on my bling bucket list.

DK :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearls have always been a jewellery staple in my opinion and on my original “wants list” at 16 was an opera length strand.
While working (office) I frequently wore pearls and for night time events I also favoured wearing them. Daytime in summer too.
since retiring and with Covid opportunities to justify pearls (or anything else fancy) are few and far between. Ive bought some more colourful and more casual pieces which I’ll wear in Summer.
As long as Chanel exists pearls will always have a place. It may be a more modern take ie on leather or cord rather than a uniform strand with diamond clasp but pearls have always been loved.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think there’s a bit more popularity right now due to VP Harris. That’s one of the reasons I got more into pearls.

i still remember fondly Barbara Bush's (faux) pearls
my mum really liked her as she didnt die her hair when her hubby became president

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i gotta admit they were not on my radar till i inherited mum's strand and my sister got grandma's longer strand of smaller pearls but i have always liked the fashion of the 20s and 30s - quite different but lots of pearls
plus i really loved the Queen mum and she loved pearls from a very young age as does our Queen
sometime you see infornal pictures of the Queen just being a country lady and she loves her pearls
oh there was this pictute years ago of the Queen mum trout fishing in NZ in a pair of gumboots in a river in a string of pearls
i think this is the perfect example of pearls being fun and being for every day
4c1be50843391debd85df39ad13e0998.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pearls and think of them as a classic staple in my collection.

I think the popularity of pears is the same as for most fashion items - subject to trends, the economy, perception of value/availability and alternatives. I think high end pearls will continue to have a market and others will fluctuate (unless rarity drives up value/demand).

A couple of years ago, my friend asked me to sell his mother's long strand of round akoya pearls. None of the jewelers that usually buy pre-loved pieces would take them...wouldn't even make an offer. I was told that they already had too many unsold strands as nowadays, as they are seeing many of their customers buy faux pearl strands. They sat on DB for months despite posting them well below what I was told by my pearl vendors was a quick sale price. (I wish I had kept them for myself but had bought a couple of other items from his mom's collection)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love pearls and think of them as a classic staple in my collection.

I think the popularity of pears is the same as for most fashion items - subject to trends, the economy, perception of value/availability and alternatives. I think high end pearls will continue to have a market and others will fluctuate (unless rarity drives up value/demand).

A couple of years ago, my friend asked me to sell his mother's long strand of round akoya pearls. None of the jewelers that usually buy pre-loved pieces would take them...wouldn't even make an offer. I was told that they already had too many unsold strands as nowadays, as they are seeing many of their customers buy faux pearl strands. They sat on DB for months despite posting them well below what I was told by my pearl vendors was a quick sale price. (I wish I had kept them for myself but had bought a couple of other items from his mom's collection)
oh this makes me so. sad
i love ropes
i think my grandma as the youngest child was just shy of the era of rope pearls although she did have a lovelly longer strand
i love ropes

if they had been mine (well except i love ropes) i would have had them restrung into shorter strands for more wearability /saleability

well except i wouldn't have because the longer the better for me

off on a tangent but i recently bought (well 4 years ago - cant rush these things) a set of cherry amber beads that had been a rope and had been restrung into two sets of necklase, earings and braclete - the lady who did the butchering sold off one of the sets to cover her costs i imangine

i feel sad thinking about the original long necklase because the earings were just horrible ugly and the braclete used fake gold findings
i have taken everything apart and its over 22" unknotted so all is not lost

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some screen shots i have taken recently of pearls on the telly news
20220221_190120.jpg

Attachments

• 20220214_181157.jpg
    20220214_181157.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 9

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to a social event recently that was for 35 yo and under. Not at all work related. Lots of college and grad school folk. Surprised at the amount of pearls I saw being worn as chokers and rope with otherwise very casual clothes and converse sneakers lol.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I read an article recently about pearls being more popular with millennials.

I wonder how much of the appeal is that it’s more eco friendly and “green” compared to the history of diamond and gem mining. I think there’s something about pearls that feels romantic and honoring Mother Nature that is attractive to youth. Especially with all the awareness about global warming and concerns for marine life.

And ironically, pearls being “vintage” fashion seems to be part of what’s boosting the popularity of restyling them in a more modern way as a way to rebel and be subversive. Men are also starting to wear more pearls. And they’re way more affordable than diamonds which probably also fits the financial comfort zone of younger folk. I live in a college area and see a lot of pearls being mixed with gems, metals, leather etc. I love it!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The plain white strand and matching earrings is a classic, the same as a diamond solitaire is. Some will find it elegant and others will find it too staid. But now we also have all different sizes, shapes and colors of pearl, which can be fashioned into jewelry in endlessly different ways. Therefore, I don't see how it's even possible for pearls in general to ever be out of style, any more than sapphires or gold could be.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The matchy matchy approach is not for me as I like to mix and match.

I seldom wear pearl earrings and necklace/pendant together. If I do, they have to be different colours and/or types.

DK :))

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
When I’m not slinging bling, I work as a spin instructor for a popular brand and I gotta say that all the girls I see wear big pearl stud earrings.
They are all 20-something’s so they are all half my age (well…almost everyone in fitness is half my age!!)
They wear pearl studs all the time!
They wear them in my spin classes even.
The bigger the better from what I’ve observed.
I suspect many are faux but that’s definitely the style right now for the 20-something’s.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I’m not slinging bling, I work as a spin instructor for a popular brand and I gotta say that all the girls I see wear big pearl stud earrings.
They are all 20-something’s so they are all half my age (well…almost everyone in fitness is half my age!!)
They wear pearl studs all the time!
They wear them in my spin classes even.
The bigger the better from what I’ve observed.
I suspect many are faux but that’s definitely the style right now for the 20-something’s.

Faux is a good way to start
get them hooked

HHtv

Rough_Rock
I have noticed pearls in some form (i think they're imitation) paired with "street style" or "avant- garde" fashion (usually monochrome). It seems like coloured gems and pearls are definitely used more now than a few years ago.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results