shape
carat
color
clarity

Popping the question, which Stone?

G00g00

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Have been putting off engagement for six years because of the ring issue. Partner doesn’t wear much jewellery and I spend hours going in circles trying to educate myself on diamonds.

I am looking between James Allen, Whiteflash, Brian Galvin. Basically everywhere. Have attached two pictures off my most recents ‘maybe’ take the plunge at one of those diamonds.

Budget is around 12k USD, for stone and ring. Looking for the best cut possible which I understand to be most important.

Perhaps a Danhov AE100 swirl ring.
My worries are, the small stones on the ring will take away from the centre stone. This diamond is perhaps to small, partners hand is around size 6.5, again this needs to be checked.
I live in the UK and so will be purely going on pictures or videos for an online purchase.
Any tips on diamonds or the dos and don’ts would be much appreciated.
Sorry for rambling on.
BD91BA60-A284-4C53-81CA-BB637732B6AD.jpeg 1192E4AA-63CD-4AF1-960F-97F41DDE8986.jpeg

Attachments

• 08901C45-4B6F-42F3-8899-6156FC8C98B1.jpeg
    08901C45-4B6F-42F3-8899-6156FC8C98B1.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 11

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 years you put off your "ring issue" instead of proposing??? You're not being truthful with yourself if it's been that long and now you're worrying over a ring. Do you actually want to marry/lock down this woman or are you making a fear-based decision?

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! Don‘t put off the engagement just because of a ring issue. I agree it is nice to have one, but marriage is not about rings. You could also pick one together before or after. Is there a reason you want to do it online? Lot‘s of beautiful stones in the UK you could look at in real as well. Try to figure out, what your partner wants. Can‘t do anything wrong with a classic setting, like a solitaire imo.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi OP I think if you move this thread to Rock Talk you'll get more responses. They're diamond experts in there and very good at the diagrams and charts etc

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t forget, you’ll have to add on import duty if you’re going to import the ring/stone from the US to the UK.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll leave comments on each stone to those with more experience. Just wanted to suggest you check out some of the discussions on this forum. Depending on where you are in the UK, I remember some posters mentioning rings tend to be smaller. What you are looking at may be, depending on your area and social group, larger than many others around. If that is the case, would your partner feel comfortable with that?

You might look into CBI (crafted by infinity) stones and see if there is anyone near you that carries them to see in person.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just get a token/promise ring, something small and plain, for the proposal, and inform her that she can choose her own ER at a later date.

Etc. etc...

Good luck.

DK :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That will be a beautiful stone/ring. ACA stones are AGS000 (Ideal light return) H and A stones. Really, you cant go wrong with an ACA.

The setting is lovely but wonder if it might be a bit much for someone who doesnt wear much jewelry? I would think a nice solitaire would
be more for someone who doesnt wear much jewelry. (She's your GF and you know her so dont let my opinion stop you from getting that
setting). Note...that Danhov setting is pretty high. IMO, its not for constant wear. More for wearing when you go out. WF is an excellent
company to work with. You cant go wrong there.

I was thinking a simpler setting more like these then let her pick out a wedding band with diamonds...

This would be the look she would get. I would probably go with a smaller carat wedding band but you get the idea.
Capture.PNG

If you want a little fancier with pave...will still need to be babied somewhat

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she have pinterest?

Could you work with her girlfriends to get them to take her shopping and get some ideas on what she likes?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’ve (as you say) put off engagement for six years and your partner doesn’t wear much jewellery... I don’t think they will care much about the ring at this point! ;-)

G00g00

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for the responses. I’ll need to take the plunge. Life sometimes takes over

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you stuck color? you can go larger if you go up a bit in color

example

I have had a Whiteflash K and saw absolutely no color in it. If you go to an I or J you could go up in size

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly - I love that Danhov ring. Love it. As for diamonds, I'd go with the VS1, as the VVS stone is cleaner than either of you will ever be able to appreciate.

However, my best suggestion for setting is that you buy the diamond and present that to her, then tell her you'd like her help to choose the setting. But if you want to give her a fully finished ring (and that can also be the preferred way forward for insurance purposes), I'd put it into a 6 prong platinum solitaire. I suspect, if she doesn't wear much jewelry, that a solitaire will suit her just fine, but you can always tell her that you'll happily re-do the setting for your first / 5th / 10th anniversary (you pick the number).

Either way - congratulations and good luck; Whiteflash A Cut Above diamonds are gorgeous diamonds! Nice to see you've done your homework. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results