shape
carat
color
clarity

Polishing platinum and cost

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
back where we got my old engagement ring in Arizona, our jeweler polished my platinum ring for free. I've since moved out of state and inquired about polishing it at a jewelry store and they wanted to charge me $150, stating that it was a "very tedious process". I was thinking...huh?! It took my jeweler all of 5 minutes or so to make it look better. I didn't have it polished there and have yet to do so but what have you been charged for this?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have yet to pay for any of my plat rings to be polished in 10 years. the jeweler i originally purchased from does it for free for any of the items i bought from them (no idea if or what the charge for stuff that's not theirs). plus, i have had other jewelers offer to do it (again, totally free) along with a cleaning while i browsed in their store. $150 sounds nuts to me, and i'm not buying the 'tedious' bit either, since anytime i have had it done it also took about five minutes.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a Tiffany etoile ring polished and it cost $20!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The most I've paid is 90 and I was desperate cause it was the week before my wedding and I needed it rushed. I still feel ripped off.

I would guess they really don't enjoy doing and aren't good at it-- or they send it out. Find another bench-- one in house.

I pay about 60 max regularly.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
beesha77|1314932725|3007960 said:
back where we got my old engagement ring in Arizona, our jeweler polished my platinum ring for free. I've since moved out of state and inquired about polishing it at a jewelry store and they wanted to charge me $150, stating that it was a "very tedious process". I was thinking...huh?! It took my jeweler all of 5 minutes or so to make it look better. I didn't have it polished there and have yet to do so but what have you been charged for this?

150 seems like a lot...that would be a fee more to set a diamond vs polish a setting!

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Where do you guys take your platinum if you purchased from an online vendor?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have NEVER paid for polishing, platinum or not. A Mall Store polished my plain one for free, I didn't need anything else polished. No one has ever charged me for it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just asked a new jeweler the day before yesterday and it was $10. (what a deal!)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
The place I went to normally charges $15, but charged $25 since I had a rather deep scratch.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm almost sure Wink Jones explained about the different pricing for polishing up platinum. Couldn't find the post. He said that most people get a quick polish free or quite cheaply. If you want a really good clean and polish it takes longer and costs much more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results