shape
carat
color
clarity

PoB dress shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
So, earlier this week I went to Priscilla of Boston (in Boston) by myself to look at dresses...my mom couldn''t make it due to work. There were three main contenders:

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?gid=200&sfid=317&f= (PoB, style 3050, $4k+)

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?search=nora&sfid=50742&f= (Vineyard Nora, $2.7k, also no straps)

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?search=valentina&sfid=192&f=(Melissa Sweet Valentina, $4k+, also no stupid boob flower)

So, since I had them narrowed down, I brough my mom back this weekend. The saleslady knew her stuff...she arranged for my mom to see my favorite one last, and also with the full on treatment (super long veil, even a fake bouquet)

My mom has always had a preference for not-all-lace gowns, but when she saw the valentina she gasped. The model shot on the website doesn''t do it justice since she has NO figure, but if you zoom in you can see how beautiful this guipure lace is. The store manager kept mentioning how it was imported from the south of france (OK, I get it...its lovely and expensive!) but it was just so truly stunning.

I originally saw this dress in a magazine on an actress (the photos in the bridal mag are a lot closer to what it looks like on me...I have the mag at home and I''ll try to scan it when I get back to CA). I really do think it is my dream dress...of course no pictures were allowed, but I managed to snap a shot of the dress on a hanger when the saleslady wasn''t looking (doesn''t really help, I know) which I''ll post later.

Has anyone had experience with the "Muslin" process at PoB or Melissa Sweet? Basically it is like $500 and they make a muslin version of the dress fitted exactly to you and then make the dress based on that pattern...it seems like it would be worth it since I have non-standard mesaurements (can you say sizes 4, 6, 8? and 5''10" so the standard length would mean flats) and alterations on that lace would be PRICY!

There is one other dress that is still a contender, the Amy Kuschel Ingrid. The only thing I don''t love about that one is the neckline, I wish it were sweetheart.

RZ

PS Let me just say, I am not a fan of the cathedral veil...it just seems SO overwhelming and traditional...but my mom loved it! She was like "if you get that dress, you have to get that veil" (it was like 500 bucks at PoB, and $100 on veilshop). Any ideas on how to negotiate this? Maybe just hopes she forgets between now and the wedding?

RLG

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have any experience with the muslin process, but that dress is gorgeous!
30.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
When I saw the Valentina, my jaw dropped! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I also like the second one, but my guess it that it don''t compare in person to the Valentina.

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
I did not have a muslin pattern made for my wedding dress, but have had this done for other special occasion dresses.

My seamstress prefers this method to ensure proper fit and not having to do extensive alteration that may compromise the character of the dress. A muslin pattern is also a good idea if you want to make any alteration to the design of the dress (this is the number one reason I have muslin patterns made).

I would definately recommend spending the extra money especially if this will offset the cost of alterations.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I love number 3!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Rockzilla! All the gowns are lovely... it''s hard to pick a favorite without seeing them on you, though. I have to say that number 4 is the most unique and attention grabbing for me... so that''s the one I''d lean toward IF budget wasn''t an issue.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Found the magazine photos - Instyle weddings summer 2007. Apparently worn by jennifer morisson of house.

jennifer-morrison-jesse-spencer-wedding-1.jpg

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Another, full length shots. I think these photos are truer to the color and texture of the dress than the PoB site does.

jennifer-morrison-jesse-spencer-wedding-4.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I LOOOOVE the Valentina! I take it that''s your favorite? I wouldn''t do a veil, it doesn''t need it!

(PS-In that first photo of Jennifer Morrison and her husband, doesn''t he kinda look like Ellen DeGeneres?
32.gif
)

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, it is my favorite...just so expensive. But my mom is like "if you love it, you can have it" I want to be 100% sure though, since this is the only thing she is contributing financially to the wedding.

I agree, he kind of does...he looks "odd" in some way....oooh I just saw that they called off their engagement! yikes...

DM

Rough_Rock
Nice dress. I recommend the muslin. I''m having it done for my Lia. I had to do it cause my body shape is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results