shape
carat
color
clarity

Plse - Your Feedback on two JA Modern Cushions (w/ Asets)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please give me your candid comments on these two James Allen modern cushions (they're on hold for me) - for this purchase, I am seeking a nicely shaped square-to-squarish cushion with high color, fluorescence, a symmetrical facet pattern, and great light performance. And, fyi: these two cushions are fairly close in price.

1. 1.01ct D-VS1 with medium blue fluor - ratio 1.02:1 - #294031

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-294031

ja_294031_-_img_large_diamond_-_b.jpg

294031aset-001.jpg

2. 1.02ct F-VS1 with faint blue fluor - ratio 1.01:1 - #293961

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.02-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-293961

ja_293961_-_img_large_diamond_-_b.jpg

293961aset.jpg

And JA's comments:
"I'm happy to tell you that both of these diamonds are fantastic options! Both of them possess excellent fire, brilliance, and scintillation, and appear eye clean. The gemologist found both of them to be icy white in color and to have very attractive faceting as well. If we split hairs, diamond 293961 has the stronger light performance between the two and is a little more squarish in shape. Diamond 294031 is bright in its own right and has a faceting pattern is a little more unique. You shouldn't notice any impact from the fluorescence, but if you would, it's because you have a sharp eye and might pick up on a slight tint in natural lighting.
This is an excellent set of diamonds, and both of them will look fantastic in person. If you feel you might have a sharp eye, similar to that of a trained gemologist, you'll want to go for diamond 293961 since it doesn't have any detectable impact from its fluorescence."

My comments: so far I have a strong preference for the 1st diamond, #294031 - I like the D color and Med Blue Fluor combo, and I really like the facet pattern and the Aset... but could use some objective feedback from PS cushion experts to help me with my decision. Thanks!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Plse - Your Feedback on two JA Modern Cushions (w/ Asets

I prefer the gemologist's description of the 2nd but faceting of the first.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the first.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the faceting pattern on the first one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The first hands down for me. SO GORGEOUS that faceting and the performance is amazing too.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock

Yep 1st one. Love the facets and the aset hands down. Picked it before reading the gemologist' comment.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

thecat, Niel, tyty333, Gypsy, and Diamondbug - thank you so much for your input; it means a lot to me. And, very happy/relieved the D-VS1 cushion I adored at first glance is also the hands-down preference by you all too - yay!

I'll be finalizing the purchase this weekend with JA and have it shipped loose to me - then, though I want to see the cushion in person before I commit, in terms of a setting, I really can't get BE's gorgeous Rose Gold/Platinum "Dora" setting out of my mind...

be_-_dora_-_op-106-pl-e.jpg

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock

First one looks great. The setting is lovely too. Congrats :angel:

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock

Oh Wow a D in rose gold,huh? I am thinking of setting a round E with strong blue flou in a rose gold too but I am such chicken $hit, I just don't have the guts to do it. I can't wait to see how yours turn out though. That is a gorgeous setting. I do like that the head is in white metal. I wonder how long it would take them to make the setting...hahaha can you tell I can't wait already and it's not even my ring!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

marymm|1416703327|3788720 said:
thecat, Niel, tyty333, Gypsy, and Diamondbug - thank you so much for your input; it means a lot to me. And, very happy/relieved the D-VS1 cushion I adored at first glance is also the hands-down preference by you all too - yay!

I'll be finalizing the purchase this weekend with JA and have it shipped loose to me - then, though I want to see the cushion in person before I commit, in terms of a setting, I really can't get BE's gorgeous Rose Gold/Platinum "Dora" setting out of my mind...

be_-_dora_-_op-106-pl-e.jpg

OMG! I can see why! It's breathtaking! FANTASTIC CHOICE!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shoot, I am not able to purchase the diamond after all. JA is requiring either a confirming email from my work address (which I am prohibited from using on personal matters) or an email attaching my credit card/ID images. I'd be paying by PayPal but even if I were to use my credit card, I don't understand why JA requires either of these steps; for me, they are onerous and invasive and insecure. Now I remember why I stopped checking out the JA website. Darn, I really, really love this diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marymm|1416772033|3789121 said:
Shoot, I am not able to purchase the diamond after all. JA is requiring either a confirming email from my work address (which I am prohibited from using on personal matters) or an email attaching my credit card/ID images. I'd be paying by PayPal but even if I were to use my credit card, I don't understand why JA requires either of these steps; for me, they are onerous and invasive and insecure. Now I remember why I stopped checking out the JA website. Darn, I really, really love this diamond.

Call and talk to someone. They may have another way.

There was an issue when I was purchasing from them once. They said my telephone number wasn't a real number. I called and talked to them on that same number, the guy could clearly see it was right.... It was a todo.

Anyways call and see if there's anything they can do.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I spoke with two different people in the JA Customer Service Department, and I am not a phone person so 2 calls is a lot for me.

I kinda think it is ridiculous and insulting I have to convince JA that I am a legit customer and to take my money - JA is requiring extra steps that no other diamond vendor requires - I guess I'll just have to go to a competitor to buy my cushion.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marymm|1416772598|3789127 said:
Well, I spoke with two different people in the JA Customer Service Department, and I am not a phone person so 2 calls is a lot for me.

I kinda think it is ridiculous and insulting I have to convince JA that I am a legit customer and to take my money - JA is requiring extra steps that no other diamond vendor requires - I guess I'll just have to go to a competitor to buy my cushion.

You haven't met this issue before? I remember I had to give a school or work email to wf too, and I had to send them a picture of my drivers license.

I understand not being a phone person. After being on the phone all day I don't like to call and talk to people on my time off... But I'd escalated the situation before I went elsewhere. If you like the stone enough....
Sorry it didn't work out

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've purchased from WF, BGD, BN, and GOG in the past, and have never had to give any of this additional info.

Now that I checked my records, I did run into this before with JA more than a year ago, but at that time I was going to use my credit card, and I assumed the extra steps were related to credit card purchases. I did not go through with that purchase.

As I was going to pay via PayPal on this new purchase, I was not expecting they would require this extra stuff.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marymm|1416773605|3789136 said:
I've purchased from WF, BGD, and GOG in the past, and have never had to give any of this additional info.

Now that I checked my records, I did run into this before with JA more than a year ago, but at that time I was going to use my credit card, and I assumed the extra steps were related to credit card purchases. I did not go through with that purchase.

As I was going to pay via PayPal on this new purchase, I was not expecting they would require this extra stuff.

Hmm I dunno. I had to jump through very similar hoops with WF when I bought my pear from them so I didn't find it odd.

Sorry it won't work. But still I find escalated calla often result in some one with more authority

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ask to talk to a supervisor.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

I love the first one too! The faceting is especially attractive :love: I really hope you don't give up this diamond!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had to jump through hoops to pay WF using a credit card so I don't think this is just a JA issue. I hope you'll get this resolved as cushion #1 looks smashing.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So, I purchased cushion #1!

I had to do the work email thing, but you know what? I wasn't willing to let this diamond go.

I decided a one-time personal email from work would be less disagreeable to my sensibilities than providing my credit card/ID info, and I did mention to my work supervisor that I sent a single short email on a personal matter from my work email and she said no worries, they are looking for people who repeatedly abuse the system.

My fingers are crossed it ships today for delivery tomorrow. Thanks for your support, everyone!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good for you being such a good employee. Haha. Just tell your sup its diamond related I'm sure they understand. ;-)

And also, awesome! Can't wait to here your report.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm happy it worked out! Great news!
Can't wait to hear what you have to say when you get it.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

I'm so glad, Mary!! And you really are a very honest employee :clap: they are lucky to have you :angel:

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

Forgot to mention - can't wait to see pics when it arrives!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

A D with fluorescence! Oh I'm jealous! I'll admit it. And such a pretty stone too.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

marymm|1416865337|3789773 said:
So, I purchased cushion #1!

I had to do the work email thing, but you know what? I wasn't willing to let this diamond go.

I decided a one-time personal email from work would be less disagreeable to my sensibilities than providing my credit card/ID info, and I did mention to my work supervisor that I sent a single short email on a personal matter from my work email and she said no worries, they are looking for people who repeatedly abuse the system.

My fingers are crossed it ships today for delivery tomorrow. Thanks for your support, everyone!

Good for you!!! It is an absolute beauty - can't wait to see pics when it arrives!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

I was hoping to read you bought the D when I clicked on this thread! I find it to be an exciting, beautiful diamond. I am truly happy for you. :appl:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The cushion should be delivered today - yay - I'll post an update later on... so excited to see it I will be useless at work today (I know you all can relate)!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

totally can relate.

Unset stones look very small, IMO. Don't be unhappy with that.

how are you planning to set it?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wowza... first reaction: the prettiest whitest diamond these eyes have ever seen! The facet pattern is superb, the cushion shape is sweet, and honestly it faces up larger than I expected it would.

I brought it home and only have a few minutes before I head back to work, so no time for pics, but I'll definitely try to take some tonight or tomorrow, and hope to show you what I see.

Gotta say, the JA boxing for this loose diamond gets an Triple A Plus - I'll probably have to post a pic or two of it - the diamond is in a round clear gembox, inside a bright red box, inside a white/red JA cardboard box, with a drawer underneath to pull out gem cloth and diamond certificate - SWEEET set-up, very impressed.

Oh, and already, though I still love the BE "Dora" setting posted above, now I'm thinking all platinum, rather than platinum head/rose gold shank. We'll see.

(gosh, my heart is going pitter pat I'm so happy/excited!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results