shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help, must decide between 3ct Evvs1 asscher and 5 ct J Si1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icet

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I rarely ever post, mostly because I don''t own a digital camera so could never post good pics but here''s my question:

If you had a choice between a 3 carat e vvs1 asscher vs a 5 ct J Si1 emerald diamond depending that it''s eye clean and show''s "white" which would you choose? (and you theoretically you are in love with step cuts)

I am trying to decide between quality vs quantity, I guess you can consider an inbetween like a 4ct h vs but it is almost like either get the best quality or get the biggest for me. Need opinions please!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
the 3 ct hands down. GL!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Honestly, I''d have to see the stones as they speak to different aesthetics. That said, I have been leaning toward the DIF camp lately and just based on your simple question, I might say the EVVS1 stone.

cheers--Sharon

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the asscher personally (assuming both were beautifully cut) but I like more understated things so pure size doesn''t generally appeal to me.

icet

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your opinions, the asscher is really gorgeous but would anyone worry about DSS?

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Im going to be predictable and go with the 5 carat. If you like size, the 3 carat asscher will look much smaller than a 3 carat round.

However, they are both wonderful choices with excellent outcomes.

The 3 carat will still look like a very substantial stone and it will be quite white and very special looking as you dont see too many 3 carat asschers around

The 5 carat will be something that will ALWAYS turn heads, even when you have forgotten that you are wearing it.

Tough choice hey!!!
11.gif
2.gif

icet

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinion Sharon, it is a really tough choice! i know i know poor baby
39.gif

I am at a crossroad and I just can''t decide! wish i could have both
30.gif

Please keep it coming, I am really weighing in everyone''s opinions!

Thanks all in advance!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Too many variables...for starters, different cuts! I''d take the Asscher because I prefer Asschers. But if they were both Asschers, I''d still take the 3ct, for the following reasons:

1) 3ct of any shape is GINORMOUS to me. I have a 1ct princess that I think is big. 5ct would just feel unnatural on me.
2) I wouldn''t go down to J color in such a large stone, especially a step cut. J for a 1ct round or so is fine; J for a 5ct emerald will be too warm for my tastes (and I''m not color-sensitive).
3) It''s hard to find a truly eye-clean SI1 step cut.

It''s all in personal preference. What do YOU lean toward?

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:30:27 PM
Author: icet
Thank you all for your opinions, the asscher is really gorgeous but would anyone worry about DSS?

yes i started with a 3.25 asscher (just too small) and now have a 5 carat EC..............

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Since you mentioned that the 5ct is eye clean then that is what I would personally choose. I have a 2.75 emerald and while I still consider it to be quite large there is no way I would turn down a 5ct but that is because I love big stones. I will mention that my stone is a J and the color is not noticable face up. If you are pleased with the look of the bigger stone then that is the way I would go.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:03:57 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
Since you mentioned that the 5ct is eye clean then that is what I would personally choose. I have a 2.75 emerald and while I still consider it to be quite large there is no way I would turn down a 5ct but that is because I love big stones. I will mention that my stone is a J and the color is not noticable face up. If you are pleased with the look of the bigger stone then that is the way I would go.

many many vintage stones are HIJKLM. I have seen amazing EC stones in the K color. If the stone is beautiful is clean-go for the EC. I agree with emeraldlover1

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
I would also choose the asscher and I also agree with jstarfireb. And no, I would not worry about DSS. Quite frankly, 3 carat is a pretty sizable stone to begin with. But I also prefer asscher stones over emerald cuts, because they seem more lively and how should I say, "not so mature-looking?" But that''s just me.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Plus, I believe that as we age we do get less color sensitive.....especially when it comes to very big rocks!!!!! And we do all age, thats for sure.
9.gif

ie. what I like and feel comfortable wearing at 40 is worlds apart from my tastes in my 20`s. At 20 would have chosen the asscher, at 40 I now choose the emerald.

But, it would help if we had photos!!!!!

icet

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the responses.

I really really love the asscher and love the e vvs1. In fact the quality and beauty really blows me away but I think I am deep down a "size girl" and I guess I should blame the celebrity engagement ring thread because in that crazy world, 3ct is "average to small" and since there is no way we can afford a 5 ct E vvs1 I am trying hard to think ahead about which one I would be really happy with - a near perfect 3 ct or the 5ct with more flaws but bigger.

I will be seeing the 5 ct tomorrow so I can't say how I feel about it just yet but according to my husband, it is amazing - though we are both just diamond fans not experts. I guess I am being optomistic about the EC and if I really love it than I will have a big decision to make!

Thanks all again, i would post some pics from my cell but i don't think it would do justice to either diamond
but I promise whichever one I stick with, i'll get pics with a dig camera! I just told my husband that we have to buy a dig camera haha, ( i told him we could get a cheap one, put the rest of the money to the diamond!)

All opinions - good, bad, mean, nice or whatever are welcome!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:28:36 PM
Author: Sharon101
Plus, I believe that as we age we do get less color sensitive.....especially when it comes to very big rocks!!!!! And we do all age, thats for sure.
9.gif

ie. what I like and feel comfortable wearing at 40 is worlds apart from my tastes in my 20`s. At 20 would have chosen the asscher, at 40 I now choose the emerald.

But, it would help if we had photos!!!!!
Personally I love large step cuts because the beauty is in the patterns and steps. The bigger you go, the more you have to look at. That being said I think that age can be represented in a variety of ways. The setting has a great deal to do with that as well as the person wearing it. I think what size is normal also has something to do with the location in which you live.

Sharon, I totally agree with tastes changing as you age. I''m almost 30 with an EC...what will I choose at 40? If I''m around here in 10 years I''ll come back and let you know. I do know that as soon as I turned 29 I realized I wasn''t that color sensitive after all. hehe.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go for a 4 carat H VS2 asscher??? LOL.

Of those choices... probably the asscher, because I prefer them to EC''s in larger sizes.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
If you''re comfortable wearing a 5 ct., I say that one, especially since you said it faces up white! I''d just worry because if you want size, a 3 ct asscher is going to face up smaller since it''s such a deep cut. For maximum finger coverage I say 5 ct., but if you have to have those windmills and that incredible something about asschers, and you think you''d be fine with the smaller size (relatively speaking) then go in that direction.

icet

Rough_Rock
Oh BTW, ms. fortune and EM1, my husband and I are staring at your avatars at this moment. Both of your rings are gorgeous!

Thanks Gypsy and brown eyed girl,
i'd get myself into real trouble by throwing a 4 ct in the mix haha!
i really do love asschers but that's the fallback i guess of all those beautiful steps that you have to sacrifice size!

Still at a loss but I think it helps hearing everyone's opinions!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:51:24 PM
Author: icet
Oh BTW, ms. fortune and EM1, my husband and I are staring at your avatars at this moment. Both of your rings are gorgeous!

Thanks Gypsy and brown eyed girl,

i''d get myself into real trouble by throwing a 4 ct in the mix haha!

i really do love asschers but that''s the fallback i guess of all those beautiful steps that you have to sacrifice size!

Still at a loss but I think it helps hearing everyone''s opinions!

thanks! my little ol'' asscher is a 1.2!! My upgrade will be in about 4 years and I''ll be going for a 3ct asscher oddly enough!! I do love my almost 5 ct daniel k asscher band though!! never upgrading that one. GL with your decision!! Wish I had your problem!!!!!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i think asschers are great but most "asschers" on the market are nothing more than clipped corner square emerald cuts. So-a true asscher is a lovely stone. a truly well cut EC can be equally as mesmerizing. my suggestion--when you see them both --ask yourself which is more beautiful to you. like you i started wanting an asscher but i settled for a poorly cut stone--extremely deep. i now have an EC that was the result of a long long search. however, if neither tells your gut that this is the one--dont do it and wait. but if you look at one and it sings to you-well then go for it!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:48:24 PM
Author: Gypsy
I''d go for a 4 carat H VS2 asscher??? LOL.

Of those choices... probably the asscher, because I prefer them to EC''s in larger sizes.

ha ha! always thinking gypsy!!
3.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock

Aww...thanks! I love it though its not a 5ct...someday maybe. Here are my two threads with more pics..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-plain-band-with-my-tacori-engagement-ring.105757/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-want-to-see-my-ring-emeraldlover1s-emerald-is-here.93625/

My fiance did such a good job with it its nice to hear when people like it. You already know my opinion on what I think I would do but your heart will tell you tomorrow when you see the 5ct if it is the right one. I wish I had that problem.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
emeraldlover1--your ring is AMAZING!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 12:27:43 AM
Author: bgray
emeraldlover1--your ring is AMAZING!
Awww...thanks!! Now, when do I get to see yours....!!!!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i cannot load pictures here---------i resize and resize --it just does not work!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sigh I want to see pics. Tomorrow use the msg admin button. If you email them pics they can post them for you...
1.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 12:53:18 AM
Author: bgray
i cannot load pictures here---------i resize and resize --it just does not work!
What, that is terrible. I need to see them. What program are you using. I find even the basic microsoft photo editor works really well for resizing.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard choice! I prefer emerald cut over asscher, but I prefer 3-4 ct over 5. The color and clarity would go for the emerald...the only down to me is it''s just to big! (for me!) Lucky choice to make though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results