shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help me create 2 stand baroque bracelet

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hello PS. I have been lurking for a long time but now have my first project. I have always liked pearls on other people (I like the iridescence) but I don't really wear jewllery myself. However when I discovered blue akoyas I decided to take the plunge.

I bought this strand from Wendy at Pearlescence, UK (I'm in Scotland). My plan was always to turn the strand into a 2 strand bracelet, but I need your advice please!

I spoke to a jeweller today and the outcome wasn't the best.

I would like a white gold clasp but the jeweller only had claw clasps which he would attach with rings; this would make the clasp area approx 1" long which I felt was too much of a 'pearl free area'. My wrists are 6", measured over the wrist bone.

I also wanted spacer bars to keep the strands together but he wasn't in favour because the pearls are baroque. He said baroque pearls were't good for double stands.

A third option was to string the pearls on stretchy nylon. Part of me likes the idea for ease of use. I could also add some new beads and end up with a 3 strand bracelet. (If I make a two strand bracelet the larger pearls in the middle of the strand will be leftovers). I'm not sure about the stretchy nylon though. So, does anyone have a 2 strand baroque bracelet, do the strands separate on your wrist without the spacer bars? How would you feel about the stretchy nylon (is it secure?).

I plan to wear the pearls everyday and the effect I'm looking for is smart casual with a hint of glamour =)2

Thanks for you help (hope that wasn't too much of a story).
Some pictures...

20171012_133302.jpg

20171012_133332.jpg 20171012_133404.jpg 20171012_133439.jpg 20171012_133459.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very pretty but reconsider making a daily-wear bracelet out of baroque akoya pearls.

Baroque akoyas have irregular nacre thickness, and if there are spots where the nacre is thin (which in the silver-blue pearls will look tan or beige) the nacre may crack/flake due to the knocking around that bracelets tend to get, especially if worn frequently. If the pearls have "tails" those are more vulnerable to breakage, too. They may be safer worn as a necklace.

I have seen (and bought) some baroque akoyas with very thick nacre but they are the exception, and are pricey.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
They are very pretty but reconsider making a daily-wear bracelet out of baroque akoya pearls.

Baroque akoyas have irregular nacre thickness, and if there are spots where the nacre is thin (which in the silver-blue pearls will look tan or beige) the nacre may crack/flake due to the knocking around that bracelets tend to get, especially if worn frequently. If the pearls have "tails" those are more vulnerable to breakage, too. They may be safer worn as a necklace.

I have seen (and bought) some baroque akoyas with very thick nacre but they are the exception, and are pricey.

Thanks for the info. Some of the pearls do have tan areas, I'm glad I now know why. The strand is beautiful as a necklace and is the perfect length, but I would never ever wear it as such. I'm just not a necklace person.

I would wear the bracelet very carefully :) (When my grandmother passed away many years ago we found wedding presents still in their wrappers when we cleared her house and I decided then that it was better to have 'stuff' and use and enjoy it rather than keep it in drawer.)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Beautiful pearls ! I do agree that Akoya can be a bit more fragile but if you aren't rough on your jewellery then you could give it a whirl. I use 4 fine stretch cords and have a large white Freshwater bracelet that gets worn a lot..it's been a year and has been fine. That said if you want a regular knotted double bracelet then go for that. I can see the jewelers point on the spacer bar but I'd get a couple of inexpensive ones to try it out. It's probably a bit more important that the pearls where you place the spacer are close to the same shape and size so it sits well. They also make spacer bars that are like beads etc more decorative than a straight flat bar. Look at the designs out there and try one.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks katbran. I spent a few hours at an antiques fair today, looking at different styles and clasps. At least now I have a much better idea of what's available.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results