shape
carat
color
clarity

PLS Help decide on which Cushion to buy from Diamond exchange!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma1lyc

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! so i took ur advice and decided to not go with the jewelers, and instead decided to look towards diamond exchange in Toronto ;-) I will defn update you on my progress for anyone who is deciding whether to buy from them. I have narrowed it down to these 5 Cushion stones all GIA cert. Pls let me know which one you think is the best.. thanks so much! Also I never thought about having any flor in my diamond.. but becoming more interested after hearing many people raving about the sparkly hint of a blue ice
4.gif
but is Strong Blue (B) too much? could it look oily/milky?

Carat Color Clarity Depth Table Dimensions Girdle
Culet Flor Polish Symmetry

1.68 E VS2 66.7 61 7.60x6.51x4.34 TN-STK SM SB VG VG

2. 1.61 D VS1 67.5 67 6.55x6.47x4.37 TK-XTK N MB VG G

3. 1.72 F VS1 67.5 64 7.73x6.59x4.45 M-VTK N N VG G

4. 1.72 E VS2 71.3 64 6.90x6.38x4.55 TN-VTK N SB VG VG

5. 1.54 F VS1 68.1 61 6.71x6.27x4.27 STK-TK N N VG G

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
As the recent purchaser of a cushion myself, you really really need to see it in person first. Numbers don''t mean the same things with cushions as they do with rounds.

A few notes:

1. The tables are pretty big on all of them. I generally look for a depth in mid 60''s and a table in mid 50''s, but that is a personal preference (but one that many cushion lovers share). Not a hard and fast rule, but if you can''t see it and love it in person, it''s a place to start.

2. I really really prefer at least VG if not excellent in the symmetry. Again, just a thing for me, but it makes a difference in the stone IMO.

3. Don''t buy a stone with flor unless you can see it in person or you really trust the vendor. Most flor is not a negative, but some is, and it needs to be seen to be sure.

4. Do you know if they are modified brilliants or cushion brilliants? Make sure you like the facet pattern of any one you pick. Those are two of the most popular cuts for cushions but there are plenty more and they ALL look different. Make sure it''s the kind you like (should say on the GIA cert) before you purchase one.

5. Any information on the CUT (which is THE most important C for sparkle!) on these stones?

If it HAD to be one of the ones you have chosen, and based only on information you have given me, I would go with #1, although the large variation in the girdle does worry me a bit as I have heard that isn''t good.

BUT I would NEVER ever buy a cushion with just the info you have given and without at LEAST seeing pictures.

But if you are just pulling these off a website, please do yourself a favor and call Mark at ERD in New York. He is the "cushion king" of PS and has a fantastic eye for picking winners. Cushions are just so hard that it''s best to work with an expert unless you can see them all in person.

ma1lyc

Rough_Rock
The tables are pretty big on all of them. I generally look for a depth in mid 60''s and a table in mid 50''s,

thanks so much for responding ;-) for this measurements.. does work for regtangular as well as square cushions?
i defn agree in viewing the cushions in person.. but because i live in Toronto, Canada, buying a diamond that is GIA cert and seeing it in person is virtuallyimpossible and hard to find. No one carries GIA certs. IN this case i will choose the diamond, order it, and view it at the office once it comes in and fortunately there is a 30 day refund if i don''t like it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 1:19:58 AM
Author: ma1lyc
The tables are pretty big on all of them. I generally look for a depth in mid 60''s and a table in mid 50''s,

thanks so much for responding ;-) for this measurements.. does work for regtangular as well as square cushions?

i defn agree in viewing the cushions in person.. but because i live in Toronto, Canada, buying a diamond that is GIA cert and seeing it in person is virtuallyimpossible and hard to find. No one carries GIA certs. IN this case i will choose the diamond, order it, and view it at the office once it comes in and fortunately there is a 30 day refund if i don''t like it.

Yes the table trick does work for cushions in general. Basically some of the top sparkle will be lost if the table is too big and to me it looks a bit off, but that''s just me.

I would really really consider working with someone who specializes in cushions. Many jewelers have only seen a few in their life and since your jeweler doesn''t carry any, they might qualify for that. Many jewelers in the US will be happy to send you pictures before you buy so that you could feel at least a little more comfortable with the purchase ahead of time.

If you feel that you NEED to go with that jeweler, I would go around and try and find all the cushions you can. Even if they don''t have the GIA cert you will get an idea for whether you want a modified or not, whether you like big tables, what ratios you prefer, and all your other preferences. Then, when you''re presented with some options you will be able to make the best educated decision you can. Also, don''t let them just call in one stone for you or else you won''t have anything to compare to.

best of luck!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
if you can not see the stones you really need an ASET image, or at the very least an ideal-scope to know more.

The numbers are totally useless - I see bad numbers that look great and good numbers that look shoclking

winnie

Rough_Rock
need to see all of them in person- all diff....give mark a call- prices will be better for sure

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 8:57:13 AM
Author: winnie
need to see all of them in person- all diff....give mark a call- prices will be better for sure
Ditto...there were not many cushions in my area and, even though I had local jewelers bring some in, they were blah...not much sparkle or totally dead spots or the shape wasn''t what I was looking for. We bought the only stone Mark sent to us because we were so impressed with it''s quality. I loved it immediately and loved it everytime I looked at it. I am one of those people who can get caught up in the excitement and make quick, and sometimes not the best, decisions so I would put it away and go back and look at it at different times of the day, in different rooms and lighting. Loved it every time so that sealed the deal for me. Please consider giving Mark a call. Good luck!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Based JUST on the info you''ve provided.... and assuming that these are the ONLY cushions in the world to choose from....

I would most want to see #1.

However, what the facet plot gave me would quickly eliminate far more quickly than *any* of the info you''ve provided.

I still vote for the eyes.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 12:41:10 AM
Author: neatfreak
As the recent purchaser of a cushion myself, you really really need to see it in person first. Numbers don''t mean the same things with cushions as they do with rounds.

A few notes:

1. The tables are pretty big on all of them. I generally look for a depth in mid 60''s and a table in mid 50''s, but that is a personal preference (but one that many cushion lovers share). Not a hard and fast rule, but if you can''t see it and love it in person, it''s a place to start. I would consider a stone with a table in the 60''s if it was a modern cut cushion brilliant (on the bias so to speak) IF I was considering a modern cut. And for a modified? Why not - I don''t think a big crown is necessarily going to do crazy amazing things for it anyway.

2. I really really prefer at least VG if not excellent in the symmetry. Again, just a thing for me, but it makes a difference in the stone IMO.

3. Don''t buy a stone with flor unless you can see it in person or you really trust the vendor. Most flor is not a negative, but some is, and it needs to be seen to be sure. I think you''re safe buying med blue and probably even strong blue - but dito this advice on very strong blue. BUT it never hurts to ask about it and consider it when you view it yourself.

4. Do you know if they are modified brilliants or cushion brilliants? Make sure you like the facet pattern of any one you pick. Those are two of the most popular cuts for cushions but there are plenty more and they ALL look different. Make sure it''s the kind you like (should say on the GIA cert) before you purchase one. Modified brilliants come in antique types and modern types so the name alone isn''t exactly helpful other than to filter the mods. Look at the "inclusion plot" on the certificate which can also be used as a facet plot.

5. Any information on the CUT (which is THE most important C for sparkle!) on these stones? This isn''t analyzed as yet - you pretty much have to come up with your own idea (or rely on someone else''s OPINION of this.

If it HAD to be one of the ones you have chosen, and based only on information you have given me, I would go with #1, although the large variation in the girdle does worry me a bit as I have heard that isn''t good. hahaha! GMTA!! ;-)

BUT I would NEVER ever buy a cushion with just the info you have given and without at LEAST seeing pictures. Hey - as long as they have a return policy! I bought mine sight unseen... not the expert way to go but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

But if you are just pulling these off a website, please do yourself a favor and call Mark at ERD in New York. He is the ''cushion king'' of PS and has a fantastic eye for picking winners. Cushions are just so hard that it''s best to work with an expert unless you can see them all in person. BIG DITTO - unless you really know what you''re looking for and have absorbed everything there is to know about these (which is fairly limited) then definitely consult a jeweler who has experience with this cut! Now that asschers have their grading system or are about to, cushions are likely THE most difficult to purchase.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 1:19:58 AM
Author: ma1lyc

The good news for you is toronto is pretty darn close to buffalo and you can have some stones sent there to view :)

And yes, those basic measurements work for long cushions also... but you really need to go over boston jeff''s thread and read EVERYTHING you can about *type* of cushion cut and figure that out first. There are three main types and they are each vastly different even though two of them have the same name LOL

ma1lyc

Rough_Rock
thanks so much guys for your advice
1.gif

Does Mark have a website it could visit? and if i could not go to buffalo so see the diamond itself.. has anyone worked with him over the phone?
Diamond exchange also sells square hearts and arrows... http://www.diamondexchange.com.au/Ideal_Cut.htm .. does anyone have an opinons on these? i really do not like princess cuts at all.. but these are more cushioney withthe soft corners.. but are they too square for a cushion?

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mark does have a website, it is engagementringsdirect.com. Do a search for Engagement rings direct, ERD, Mark Turnowski, or Mark T in pricescope and see the beautiful rings PS''ers have purchased from him. I also want a cushion, and my boyfriend KNOWS he BETTER go see Mark when he is ready. Every stone he picks has been amazing, and his settings are to die for. I dream of someday having his pave halo setting.
Some PS''ers have worked with him over the phone. Personally, I would trust him to pick something out for me sight unseen. Check out stones that have come from ERD on this site and see if you like them.

ma1lyc

Rough_Rock

Hey guys! so i went back to searching, and I came up with these, pls tell what you think
20.gif
they are all GIA Cert/ Modified brilliant cushions. One of them as a strong blue flor on an E color, do you think this may cause a problem? and 3 of them have med size culet.. is this really noticable?
40.gif
Because this is the weekend, i won''t be getting any additional information about these diamonds until mon, but for now which do you think is the best from the bunch ~ thanks so much guys
36.gif

CARAT COLOR CLARITY DEPTH TABLE DIMENSIONS GIRDLE CULET FLOR POLISH SYMMETRY LxW

1.55 G VS2 66.8 63 7.11x6.57x4.39 TN-VTK N N VG VG 1.08
1.51 H VS2 66.8 54 6.98x6.89x4.60 MD-STK MD N EX EX 1.01
1.53 H VS2 66.9 54 7.20x6.46x4.32 STK-TK MD F EX EX 1.11
1.68 E VS2 66.7 61 7.60x6.51x4.34 TN-STK SM SB VG VG 1.17
1.56 H VS1 64.9 54 7.80x6.70x4.35 MD-STK MD N EX EX 1.16

winnie

Rough_Rock
they all look nice but u should narrow down weather u want a longer more oval ,shaped or more roundy, square shape- look at the ratios-

dani13

Ideal_Rock
You can absolutely work with Mark over the phone/email. He is wonderful, kind, and an expert. He can surely pick you a stunner. He can send you more in-depth info, pictures, etc. No question- give him a call !!!!
2.gif

winnie

Rough_Rock
mark is fantatstic and so honest- he got me my cushion and my brother bought the most beautiful round from him- the best person in the diamond district!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results