shape
carat
color
clarity

Please tell me about tanzanite? Too fragile?

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
I am considering the tanzanite ring pictured. It is an incredible color - but I am very worried about how soft tanzanite can be. It would be a right hand ring for occasional to frequent wear. Would love to hear thoughts? F0044624-034D-44CE-BE83-7586F2F2A4D9.jpeg 5CA50B8D-8BDF-44FC-BCF5-88C132847D36.jpeg

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like tanzanite and that’s a pretty ring. I’d consider it for an occasional wear ring but not frequent. I prefer tanzanite for earrings and pendants. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in too.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzanite is brittle so to speak. You need to check the girdle carefully as Tanzanite are sometimes damaged by setting (the pressure of pushing the prong down can cause a chip).
It is best suited to an occasional wear ring ie going out dinner / function. Not really suited to wearing to work or times where you are using your hands a lot. Being a RHR if you are right handed could be a greater risk ie Knocks against things can cause a chip, mostly Tanzanite is better suited to earrings or pendants.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like tanzanite and that’s a pretty ring. I’d consider it for an occasional wear ring but not frequent. I prefer tanzanite for earrings and pendants. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in too.
Ditto to all of this

fenestrate

Rough_Rock
Premium
What ballpark are they asking for it? It’s a very nice piece but tanzanite can be one of the most horrendously overpriced stones, and unscrupulous jewelers can take advantage of the public’s naïveté regarding their value.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning ring! I do not have any experienxce with Tanzanite however

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
What ballpark are they asking for it? It’s a very nice piece but tanzanite can be one of the most horrendously overpriced stones, and unscrupulous jewelers can take advantage of the public’s naïveté regarding their value.

Good question. This is a 4.12 carat tanzanite with 1.9 carats of diamonds. They are asking 5800. Thoughts?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question. This is a 4.12 carat tanzanite with 1.9 carats of diamonds. They are asking 5800. Thoughts?
It’s hard to tell from the photos, but it appears to be a high-quality tanzanite in a heavy gold (??? 14k or 18k or platinum) mount with almost two carats of nice white diamonds. Depending on the workmanship, It seems a fair price, not a bargain, but fair. I personally would rather have a more durable stone I could enjoy on my finger more often, but I understand the appeal of tanzanite color. Unfortunately, its a very brittle gem. Facet abrasions and microcraters are just a given with this gem, even with minimal wear.

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
It’s hard to tell from the photos, but it appears to be a high-quality tanzanite in a heavy gold (??? 14k or 18k or platinum) mount with almost two carats of nice white diamonds. Depending on the workmanship, It seems a fair price, not a bargain, but fair. I personally would rather have a more durable stone I could enjoy on my finger more often, but I understand the appeal of tanzanite color. Unfortunately, its a very brittle gem. Facet abrasions and microcraters are just a given with this gem, even with minimal wear.

You got it - 18k white gold. Thanks for your insights. I think I will be too afraid to wear it - and then it will just sit in a box - so I will likely pass. That color though...

Reactions: T L

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a large tanzanite right hand ring, and I have to admit that I don't wear it nearly as much as I should because of my concerns regarding durability. I tend to bang my hands a lot at work, so it has been relegated to a cocktail ring for special dinners out. They are gorgeous stones, but probably better in necklaces or earrings.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow!! That’s gorgeous. I’m going to echo what everyone else is saying. I would wear it, but not daily.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You got it - 18k white gold. Thanks for your insights. I think I will be too afraid to wear it - and then it will just sit in a box - so I will likely pass. That color though...

Well a pendant might be nice. If tanzanite were a harder/durable gem, it would rival sapphire pricing. It’s a pity some of the most beautiful gem species are so soft, like my beloved sphalerite.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Seems like a very fair deal. Aren't the diamonds already two or three thousand? The tanzanite color is super. I would try and find out why they sell so low. The background story can be very informative if verifiable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results